Need a little help for Ethereum mining

Go to solution Solved by FlatBrokeRacing,

looks very good! better than half of my rx cards are doing at the moment. Should be around 150-175w power draw so you are right in the sweet spot.

Hi!

I started to mine some Ether for fun on my gaming pc when I'm not using it. I know I'm not going to make a lot of money, but as I said, I'm doing it just for fun. 

I'm actualy mining at Nanopool using Claymore V10.0 and a have a single MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8G. The thing is that I'm getting only 18-19 Mh/s with my card. I have lowered the core clock speed and push the memory clock speed to the max. So I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to get better a better Mh rate? I d'ont want to flash the Bios because it's my gaming PC, and I see people getting up to 24-25 Mh/s with stock RX 580.

Thx for your help!5a20152934f81_Capturedcran2017-11-3009_26_03.thumb.png.ee93605de9c725933819f97b82f7b005.png

just flash the bios, it will actually improve perf in games as well, you can change anything you want in the bios, which makes it a very strong tool,

i can guide you all the way down that rabbit hole if you want, as i have a 480 myself 

if you really don't want to do it you need to install the blockchain driver from amd, if you cant have it working i will send you the older version of the blockchain driver that isn't available on their site, (you can try look for it if you want).

install hwinfo and go see how many memory errors you have, as 2250 seems a bit high to be stable, also install gpu z to discover who made your memory chips ( can have big effects on perf)

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

just flash the bios, it will actually improve perf in games as well, you can change anything you want in the bios, which makes it a very strong tool,

if you really don't want to do it you need to install the blockchain driver from amd, if you cant have it working i will send you the older version of the blockchain driver that isn't available on their site, (you can try look for it if you want).

install hwinfo and go see how many memory errors you have, as 2250 seems a bit high to be stable, also install gpu z to discover who made your memory chips ( can have big effects on perf)

would you mind posting that driver anyway? I'm thinking of buy some of these to add for my mining also. 

you should be getting higher than that.  My rx480 at stock 1300/2000 was getting about 20-22Mh/s.  I tried a few different bios mods that were out there and none of them worked right for my card the memory timings were either too tight or clocked to high for my ram.  I tried flashing to a 580 and saw better numbers but the power draw went up quite a bit as well.  In the end I ended up modding my own bios to tighter memory timings and get 26Mh/s.  that is at the same clock speeds as before.  I use genoil miner.  I actually saw slightly lower numbers with claymore, but that was on an older version.  I think it was 9.4 but dont remember for sure. 

If you flash a bios that has not been signed you will also need to download atikmdag patcher or the new drivers will not recognize your card.  install the drivers like normal, run the patch and then reboot and it should detect the card after that. 

48 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i can guide you all the way down that rabbit hole if you want, as i have a 480 myself 

My memory type is Hynxx... is it good news?

GPU z.gif

Just now, Gatorade™ said:

My memory type is Hynxx... is it good news?

GPU z.gif

its not bad news as it isnt elpida :), but if it was samsung i would have something special for you, also look at the sensor tab to see if the frequency of the core is stable

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

its not bad news as it isnt elpida :), but if it was samsung i would have something special for you, also look at the sensor tab to see if the frequency of the core is stable

Seem pretty stable. But if moding the bios will not affect my gaming performences I' ready to do it! But you talked about the Blockchain driver, waht does it actualy do?

gpu z 2.gif

Just now, Gatorade™ said:

Seem pretty stable. But if moding the bios will not affect my gaming performences I' ready to do it! But you talked about the Blockchain driver, waht does it actualy do?

gpu z 2.gif

well as time goes on the algorithm that you are computing changes its parameters and uses more and more ram as a consequence, what was discovered is that even though rx580's/480's had enough ram they started to slow down, so amd released a driver that changes something to prevent that slow down,

just checked the difference is huge, going from 17.10.2 to the blockchain driver makes my hashrate go from 23.5 to 29-30 all at: 1250 core and 2040 memory clock (really thigh timings)

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

well as time goes on the algorithm that you are computing changes its parameters and uses more and more ram as a consequence, what was discovered is that even though rx580's/480's had enough ram they started to slow down, so amd released a driver that changes something to prevent that slow down,

just checked the difference is huge, going from 17.10.2 to the blockchain driver makes my hashrate go from 23.5 to 29-30 all at: 1250 core and 2040 memory clock (really thigh timings)

Ok nice, i'll give a try at this! I'll get back to you when it's done!

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Man!!! Can't belive it! All the way up to 22.5 just with that!5a202cd587d9d_Capturedcran2017-11-3011_06_48.thumb.png.847956c746568113de52d29b48dfd7a8.png

you could've just switched from graphics mode to compute mode in in the latest AMD drivers. should be doing 24+ stock with those settings imho

3 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

you could've just switched from graphics mode to compute mode in in the latest AMD drivers. should be doing 24+ stock with those settings imho

I had a crash soon after, I’ll give a try to your silution!

5 hours ago, Pachuca said:

thanks, you wouldn't happen to have a linux version too?

sorry no i dont

1 hour ago, Gatorade™ said:

I had a crash soon after, I’ll give a try to your silution!

your memory settings are very aggressive, try using hwinfo64 to test where you start to have memory errors

On 30/11/2017 at 1:17 PM, FlatBrokeRacing said:

Hey sorry, didn't had a lot of time to look a that the past few days... how do you do switch to compute mode?, I've loock pretty mutch every where and could not find it...

Thx!

On 30/11/2017 at 1:17 PM, FlatBrokeRacing said:

Hey!

I feel a bit stupid... but I found it! Work as good as the blockchain driver, and even a bit better, but I'm still under 23 mh/s.

I think I'm gonna try to mod the bios... any know the timing for a MSI 580 gaming x 8g?

Thx!

1 hour ago, Gatorade™ said:

Hey!

I feel a bit stupid... but I found it! Work as good as the blockchain driver, and even a bit better, but I'm still under 23 mh/s.

I think I'm gonna try to mod the bios... any know the timing for a MSI 580 gaming x 8g?

Thx!

check annorak.tech for a bios for your card. lots of bios's on there. just make sure you pick the correct memory type.

1 hour ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

check annorak.tech for a bios for your card. lots of bios's on there. just make sure you pick the correct memory type.

Just foud one! I'm now at 29.5!

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

@FlatBrokeRacing please always start by saying backup you bios!!!

OP did you? you might need it if something goes wrong

Yes I did a back up of the stock bios :P

2 hours ago, Gatorade™ said:

Yes I did a back up of the stock bios :P

with what program, never use gpuz for that, it doesn't give you the full bios, 

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

with what program, never use gpuz for that, it doesn't give you the full bios, 

Mhhhhh... I used GPU-Z :( 

16 minutes ago, Gatorade™ said:

Mhhhhh... I used GPU-Z :( 

it will probably work, but next time use atiflash to do the backup

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

@FlatBrokeRacing please always start by saying backup you bios!!!

OP did you? you might need it if something goes wrong

I'm assuming by this point in one's mining experience, when they are talking about modding bios's, someone will know or have read how to mod a bios. I'm not a teacher, nor do i care.

stock card bios's are easy to come by via anorak, overclockers, or techpower bios repositories.

@Gatorade™ congrats on the successful bios mod. make sure you do some weaking for power efficiency as those cards can get power happy when cranked up.