Did I make a good buy?

So about 20 minutes ago I jumped on an Alienware 18, the specs are

i7-4710MQ

16GB 1866DDR3

512GB SSD

1TB HDD

GTX 880M SLI

I paid $450, was this a good buy? I'm kind of clueless as to how older laptops hold up

2661934-1511474900-874909.jpg

2661934-1511475131-806600.jpg

It depends on what you use it for if you use it for, hardcore gaming then more on the bad deal side (not all the way tho) or light task or LIGHTER gaming then possibly yes

9 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

Correction, it's an i7 4910MQ, will this thing still handle games well? I'm installing Skyrim atm

yeah it will handle most games, but don't expect to use ultra or even high settings on everything.  not a great deal but not a bad one. id say it was a good deal.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

10 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

Correction, it's an i7 4910MQ, will this thing still handle games well? I'm installing Skyrim atm

On ultra you should get a solid 30 fps but since this is a sli 880m then it should be way better

1 minute ago, Gamerguy207 said:

On ultra you should get a solid 30 fps but since this is a sli 880m then it should be way better

ahh did not see the sli part lol. thts a pretty good cpu too.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Just now, onemanarmy720 said:

ahh did not see the sli part lol

Lul, this laptop is actually a good buy I would just replace the battery since it's probably pretty bad by now

Just now, Gamerguy207 said:

Lul, this laptop is actually a good buy I would just replace the battery since it's probably pretty bad by now

it is a great buy tbh now lol

Replace the battery and take a can of pressurized air and spray the thing out (older laptop, lots of dust build up inside heatsinks = poor thermals). Other than that you should be good to go.

Also, question, what resolution is the screen? 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

You can actually use an external GPU and that CPU will run most modern GPU's really well

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Replace the battery and take a can of pressurized air and spray the thing out (older laptop, lots of dust build up inside heatsinks = poor thermals). Other than that you should be good to go.

Also, question, what resolution is the screen? 

Where can I find a new battery? As for thermals do you think TG Conductonaut would help on a laptop? I have a ton left over from my 6700k 

Its 1080p, haven't checked the refresh rate but it's a glossy IPS which I like

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You can actually use an external GPU and that CPU will run most modern GPU's really well

Wouldn't that require thunderbolt? Or is there another way to use an egpu?

2 hours ago, lefudgelover666 said:

Wouldn't that require thunderbolt? Or is there another way to use an egpu?

mPCIe is how most laptops connect to wifi cards so you can run a GPU through that connection.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

Where can I find a new battery? As for thermals do you think TG Conductonaut would help on a laptop? I have a ton left over from my 6700k 

Its 1080p, haven't checked the refresh rate but it's a glossy IPS which I like

Yes, if you can access the GPU's and CPU, then I would for sure clean them off (clean out the entire thing while you're at it) and apply new thermal paste. 

As for the battery just open the laptop and look at the stats and model number of the battery. Find one online with the correct voltage/kwh and voila, problem solved.

Nice! I was praying it wasn't some nasty 1366x768 TN panel.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

According to eBay I should be able to get around $1500 for it parted out, would this be a good idea? Does a current $13-1500 laptop outperform 880m SLI? And are there any laptops in that range with HDMI IN?

On 30/11/2017 at 6:40 AM, lefudgelover666 said:

So about 20 minutes ago I jumped on an Alienware 18, the specs are

i7-4710MQ

16GB 1866DDR3

512GB SSD

1TB HDD

GTX 880M SLI

I paid $450, was this a good buy? I'm kind of clueless as to how older laptops hold up

2661934-1511474900-874909.jpg

2661934-1511475131-806600.jpg

are there mxm gpus?

Spoiler