DisplayPort Cable 144hz FreeSync

Jahoppski

Hello!

I was planning to purchase this DisplayPort Cable. However, are all DisplayPort Cables able to display in 144hz? I'm looking to use this with my monitor in order to enable FreeSync, so I was wondering if this specific DisplayPort can allow me to run FreeSync at 144hz. I've not heard of DisplayPort, and I can't find any information relating to 144hz for the DisplayPort.

Thanks for any responses!

In theory, all DP 1.2 (or newer) cables should be able to display 144Hz at 1440p.

But some of the "cheap" DP cables are flimsy and don't have clean enough signal to do it and you may encounter issues at high refresh rates.

I believe every DisplayPort cable can handle everything the port itself is rated for. FreeSync/G-Sync is dependent on your GPU. 144Hz is dependent on your monitor and your GPU having the power to push 144Hz at a given resolution(1440p for example).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Technically, not all of them are, but the vast, vast majority can. 

There's RBR (Reduced Bit Rate) cables that can only do up to 1080i, then everything else should be able to support every currently available Displayport spec. Ignore things that state Displayport 1.2 cable or Displayport 1.1 cable, as the Displayport revisions are controller and efficiency revisions, not cable revisions. Unless it specifically says it's an RBR cable, it should support every current Displayport revision, including 144Hz for your monitor. 

I would advise not completely cheaping out on a cable though, they can be made without meeting specifications and sold claiming they do. 

EDIT: Displayport.org has a good article on this. Basically, a standard Displayport cable supports RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate) and HBR2. There are some specific cables that are only RBR, but they're rare and will be labelled as such. https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

In theory, all DP 1.2 (or newer) cables should be able to display 144Hz at 1440p.

But some of the "cheap" DP cables are flimsy and don't have clean enough signal to do it and you may encounter issues at high refresh rates.

There is no such thing as a DP 1.2 cable. Displayport revisions refer to controller and signalling frequency revisions, not cables. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There is no such thing as a DP 1.2 cable. 

So the DP version is just port dependant, not also cable dependant?

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

So the DP version is port dependant, not cable dependant?

It's controller dependant, not even the port (I think, I'm not 100% sure there are no changes to the port, it's definitely not the cable). The port has the same amount of pins regardless of revision, as it works with the same cables. It's a similar thing with HDMI, the cable and port stay the same (at least, the cable does, the port may have some changes). 

This article on Displayport.org explains the two types of DP cables. https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

With HDMI, there are Category 1 and Category 2 cables. If you're buying a cable today, it's almost certainly Category 2. An "HDMI 1.4" cable (which doesn't exist) should support HDMI 2.0, assuming it is made to category 2 spec. There's a new 48G cable coming for HDMI 2.1 for some of the high bandwidth requirements, but a lot of the new features will still work on existing category 2 cables. 

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm planning to purchase this DisplayPort cable, as the reviews are quite good alongside the cost being quite cheap also. A lot of info for me to look over also, so thank you for all of the different sources! :)

Just now, Jahoppski said:

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm planning to purchase this DisplayPort cable, as the reviews are quite good alongside the cost being quite cheap also. A lot of info for me to look over also, so thank you for all of the different sources! :)

Amazon Basics is a good choice most of the time. They build things to spec, kind of like the Monoprice cables for the UK, always a safe bet. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's controller dependant, not even the port (I think, I'm not 100% sure there are no changes to the port, it's definitely not the cable). The port has the same amount of pins regardless of revision, as it works with the same cables. It's a similar thing with HDMI, the cable and port stay the same (at least, the cable does, the port may have some changes). 

This article on Displayport.org explains the two types of DP cables. https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

With HDMI, there are Category 1 and Category 2 cables. If you're buying a cable today, it's almost certainly Category 2. An "HDMI 1.4" cable (which doesn't exist) should support HDMI 2.0, assuming it is made to category 2 spec. There's a new 48G cable coming for HDMI 2.1 for some of the high bandwidth requirements, but a lot of the new features will still work on existing category 2 cables. 

Hmmm, I will read more about it but I had to buy HDMI "2.0" cable for the new 4k TV because the "1.4" cable I had could do only 30Hz.

Just now, WereCat said:

Hmmm, I will read more about it but I had to buy HDMI "2.0" cable for the new 4k TV because the "1.4" cable I had could do only 30Hz.

There's a bit of hit and miss with HDMI 2.0. The category 2 spec meets the requirements for HDMI 2.0, but cables aren't always made fully to spec. A lot of the time it's seen with cheaper cables, but there's always exceptions.