Computer won’t post and PSU fan revs up exponentially

Nalyd217

I have an older computer (not my main one) that I just installed windows 7 on yesterday and once I got Ethernet drivers installed it was working fine, so I turned it off for the night. While it was off, I took out a stick of ram because I was curious what it had, and I put it back. I also tried to put in an old video card, determined it wouldn’t fit, and took that back out too. Now when I tried to turn it back on, nothing comes on the screen, not even bios or anything, and the psu fan seems to rev up exponentially to the point where I’m  scared it’s going to catch on fire, so I unplugged it. I was able to reproduce this about 3 times. 

The pc is some sort of an HP Compaq, the generic ones that schools and businesses seem to have. 

can assure it wont catch on fire, ive had similar happen to me before but it was only the system BIOS loaded up okay

i used to be sceptical about a lot of things before i started tinkering with computers myself

oof owie blue liquid is coming out of my eyes pls help

Just now, warlinty said:

can assure it wont catch on fire, ive had similar happen to me before but it was only the system BIOS loaded up okay

How did you fix it?

Just now, Nalyd217 said:

How did you fix it?

the issue here is that its not the same and mine was faulty cable managment (first time actually building computer myself didnt plug sata power hard enough) but that doesnt seem to be your case

41 minutes ago, warlinty said:

the issue here is that its not the same and mine was faulty cable managment (first time actually building computer myself didnt plug sata power hard enough) but that doesnt seem to be your case

Are there any troubleshooting steps you would recommend?

2 minutes ago, Nalyd217 said:

Are there any troubleshooting steps you would recommend?

resetting cmos? thats about the best i can give and dont know if it's apropriate for the situation or not, doesnt hurt to try i guess

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545