1800X Temp Increase in War Thunder

Description

I built my friends gaming computer recently.  He has been purchasing pieces in sections (system specs at the bottom) and he has found issues with the temperatures getting into the 60's and 70's.  In Corsair Link, it shows 30% load but that seems rather high.  They have been playing other games such as Hearts of Iron 4 so the original thought is that the CPU was already running warm which could cause it.  Playing other games since the incident the CPU fans have ramped up a little but not in a concerning sense.  They were doing their normal job.  I had him put War Thunder in movie mode on full settings and it didn't seem to be doing anything and we couldn't replicate the issue.

The motherboard has an OC button built in but it is NOT activated.  He is running at stock speeds.  I know WarThunder does not at all utilize all of those cores so it wasn't like it was under 100% load.  He had discord up while screen sharing but that was all that open.  I plan on installing that bracket as CoolerMaster's website says to do even though the instructions for installing onto an AMD board doesn't state anywhere that a separate bracket is needed.  I did as all computer enthusiasts and builders do for thermal paste (a grain of rice or a little bigger).  I did use the Thermal Paste provided with the Hyper 212 EVO.  I don't think that would made a big difference but I know some pastes are better than others due to their chemical compounds.  The PC is resting under his desk and the rear exhaust fan is blowing into the back wall of the desk and there is only 1 fan on top as well that is exhausting.  He doesn't have any form of fan splitter yet to be able to control three fans off of a single System Fan Port.  His Motherboard has NOT been flashed in any sort of way.  He plans to use the OC button at some point as well as upgrade to some form of custom liquid loop but right now with budget he is refraining from making any form of decision like that.  The CPU fan on the Hyper 212 is connected to the CPU fan header and the 120mm rear fan is connected to the optional CPU fan header so both are running at the same speeds (I believe) so when they ramp up, the air going through the fins are being pulled out the back.

Issues ran into possibly related to the issue during initial hardware install:

- Windows 8.1 would NOT accept the provided Aorus drivers CD to update the system.  It said it was not compatible or something along those lines

- Hyper 212 EVO  has a bracket sold separately, I bought it but did not put it on.  The box has a scissor support system that comes with that the instructions said to use so I don't know if neglecting to use that bracket really made a difference since the cooler is making full contact right now.

- He's running on Windows 8.1.  I don't know the details or specs with 8.1, I have never used it so I am wondering if using that OS could be a contributing factor.

Possible Answers we came up with:

- The Motherboard is not BIOS updated from the CD, it is completely stock from the manufacturer.  It could be possible there is an update in there that might solve this issue.

- The bracket missing might be a possible factor as well (No full logic as to why since it does have direct contact but with no evidence to rule it out, we added it on).

- The hot air being exhausted out the back could be circulating back into the case through the sides since though the front fans are wide open in the room and only the back fan and operating top fan blow air under the desk he is currently using.

- The individual cores being utilized for the games are at max capacity and running hot (we do NOT have any reputable programs up that show temps of individual cores (if those even exist without going into the Mobo itself))

- Possible Hardware issue (seems unlikely since most other games run at normal 40-50 degree temps and no other issues have arose)

Overall Questions:

- Is there any idea as to why the temperatures were ramping up to those heights and the RPM consistently going up and down?  I know 1800X's don't exactly run cool but I feel like that is a bit odd?

- Is it possible to spread out which cores are used during gaming to perhaps increase performance or is that not possible?  I am not sure.

- Is the OC button built onto the board a good way to OC the chip or should that be avoided and do it manually via the BIOS?

Thank you for your help.

System Specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengence RBG 2133mhz DDR4

Storage:

- Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB

- 6yo 1TB HDD from an HP.  Current holds the OS. 

Mobo: GIGABYTE Aorus Gaming K5 (Black)

Graphics Card: Radeon R9 270X 2GB (No Drivers Installed, PC began to change resolution without prior warning and then randomly change back so it was uninstalled and has since then stopped)

PSU: EVGA 850 G2 (ECO mode enabled)

Chassis: Corsair 570X

Edited by M. Rizzi
Adding further detail to initial post.

So your on stock bios ?

with +20deg CPU heat reporting for 1800x and wondering about 60-70deg which is actually 40-50.

What was you problem ?

Yes you should update to latest bios from gigabyte website for your motherboard.

Download HWiNFO64 and look at the Sensors. Scroll down and find two temperatures, CPU Tctl and CPU Tdie. I believe they'll be on two separate lines. Tctl should be 20c higher than Tdie. Ignore Tctl. Your concern should be the Tdie temperature. That will correspond to the "CPU Diode" temperature in Aida64, "Package Temperature" in HWMonitor, and the temperature Ryzen Master shows. Like the previous comment mentioned, Ryzen X series have a +20c offset, but let's double check.

I'm also concerned with the Hyper 212 Evo. The reason they offer an AM4 mounting bracket is because it's not compatible with AM4 boards out-of-the-box. At least that's my understanding. I don't have one, but I'm surprised you got it to work without it. Just because it's making contact doesn't mean it's applying proper pressure. Oh, and "fully cooked" grain of rice. Size matters. :D

You may be able to adjust the fan curve in the bios for something more aggressive. I've never used Corsair Link, so have no idea what it does. The fans should be spinning much faster than 30% at those temps. For the record, I usually recommend not exceeding 80c while overclocking, but at stock settings, I can't see another reason for your temperatures to be that high. There's also the possibility the 212 Evo just isn't good enough for eight cores/sixteen threads, regardless of its 180w TDP rating, but I would crank those fans up to make sure, first.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

And while we're at it. The next line in HWiNFO64 should be CPU Core Voltage. Leave HWiNFO running while gaming and report back what those min/max core voltages are.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

14 hours ago, johndms said:

I'm also concerned with the Hyper 212 Evo. The reason they offer an AM4 mounting bracket is because it's not compatible with AM4 boards out-of-the-box. At least that's my understanding. I don't have one, but I'm surprised you got it to work without it. Just because it's making contact doesn't mean it's applying proper pressure. Oh, and "fully cooked" grain of rice. Size matters. :D

Hero boards are compatible with both AM3/AM4 coolers and LN2 pots.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/overview/

11 minutes ago, RedSector said:

Hero boards are compatible with both AM3/AM4 coolers and LN2 pots.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/overview/

Ahh, thanks for that. I guess that's one of the many perks that come with purchasing top of the line boards. /me glares at his budget assrock.

4 hours ago, johndms said:

Ahh, thanks for that. I guess that's one of the many perks that come with purchasing top of the line boards. /me glares at his budget assrock.

No problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I will have a look.  Thank you all for your recommendations.  Just for extra detail since then.  He has not had any issues with heat since the initial incident and with the box, it does have a form of X scissor bracket that states it is for am4 and the box says am4 compatible so I have no idea what to believe on that one.  I will be using the bracket to be safe but wanted to let everyone know.