Friend has $80 for CM

QuantumBit

So my friend didn't really meet his goal of having enough for a gaming pc since he spent it on a switch (which he now regrets) 

He has $80 and wants to know what PC parts to buy for CM. His final build will most likely be r3 1200 + 1060 6gb and 8gb of ram.

Here are possible combos/things

r3 1200 if it goes on sale for cheap

case + powersupply

ram (just 8gb)

powersupply + hard drive

hard drive + case 

I'm sorry this is so poorly written, I don't really know how to word it better. Recommendations for which of those items to get would be amazing :)  

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

So my friend didn't really meet his goal of having enough for a gaming pc since he spent it on a switch (which he now regrets) 

He could try to get a refund.

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

He has $80 and wants to know what PC parts to buy for CM. His final build will most likely be r3 1200 + 1060 6gb and 8gb of ram.

Here are possible combos/things

r3 1200 if it goes on sale for cheap

case + powersupply

ram (just 8gb)

powersupply + hard drive

hard drive + case 

I'm sorry this is so poorly written, I don't really know how to word it better. Recommendations for which of those items to get would be amazing :)  

I'd hold off on CPUs, RaM, and motherboards for a while as the market is changing pretty fast and prices change all the time (for better or worse).

So possibly powersupply + hard drive. I'd recommend allowing 50-60 dollars for the powersupply and the rest for the HDD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

He could try to get a refund.

I'd hold off on CPUs, RaM, and motherboards for a while as the market is changing pretty fast and prices change all the time (for better or worse).

So possibly powersupply + hard drive. I'd recommend allowing 50-60 dollars for the powersupply and the rest for the HDD.

20-30 for a HDD... I wish...

I was thinking maybe something like a cx450m for 40 and an hdd for $40

Too late for that 

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Just now, QuantumBit said:

Too late for that 

Then perhaps entirely Power Supply. I wouldn't spend less than 60 on a new power supply. And I certainly wouldn't buy a used power supply.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Then perhaps entirely Power Supply. I wouldn't spend less than 60 on a new power supply. And I certainly wouldn't buy a used power supply.

Why not? I have the same PSU and its worked fine, tier 3 isn't that bad.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Just now, QuantumBit said:

Too late for that 

That should be good, PSU's and HDD's don't change much.  Though I would go check R/hardwareswap, I've seen a lot of people trading for switches lately

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

That should be good, PSU's and HDD's don't change much.  Though I would go check R/hardwareswap, I've seen a lot of people trading for switches lately

Really? Thanks!

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

The 2017 CX psu's are great value and won't kill your device (also I got an unused AX860 1/2 off second hand so I would say no to all second hand)

5 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Why not? I have the same PSU and its worked fine, tier 3 isn't that bad.

The CX line isn't meant for great gaming. it's meant for basic office use, super low end gaming and has mediocre Generic 35C capacitors.

But if you're fine going that low end then fine.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The 2017 CX psu's are great value and won't kill your device (also I got an unused AX860 1/2 off second hand so I would say no to all second hand)

"Won't kill your device" and "Good Power supply" are two totally different things.

While the 2017 CX series may fall into the former it certainly doesn't fit into the latter.

Again, Corsair has never advertised the CX series for high end or even mid range rigs. If the final total cost of your PC is $1000 USD, the least you should buy is a $70-100 USD power supply.

To each their own I guess.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The CX line isn't meant for great gaming. it's meant for basic office use, super low end gaming and has mediocre Generic 35C capacitors.

But if you're fine going that low end then fine.

"Won't kill your device" and "Good Power supply" are two totally different things.

While the 2017 CX series may fall into the former it certainly doesn't fit into the latter.

Again, Corsair has never advertised the CX series for high end or even mid range rigs. If the final total cost of your PC is $1000 USD, the least you should buy is a $70-100 USD power supply.

Final cost of his PC is $600

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I definitely agree with that, though on a build that costs about 500-600 when it's done  a $50 PSU is reasonable

if he doesn't like the Switch, I'd suggest reselling it; used is super close to MSRP, as it's still in high demand

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

56 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I definitely agree with that, though on a build that costs about 500-600 when it's done  a $50 PSU is reasonable

Aw shoot, turns out all his funds are on amazon, so we cant get the $41 off superbizz. Would buying something like a spec02 be a good idea now?

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

23 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Aw shoot, turns out all his funds are on amazon, so we cant get the $41 off superbizz. Would buying something like a spec02 be a good idea now?

I've built in the spec 02, its bot bad but not my first recomendation

Just now, Damascus said:

I've built in the spec 02, its bot bad but not my first recomendation

What would you recommend then? No more than $40

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

31 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Thanks, guess I'll go with the TT one since the side panel.

edit: These reviews seem horrible

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

edit: These reviews seem horrible

Sub $60 cases aren't great

Just now, Damascus said:

Just realuzed neither of those are on amazon, check these out.  Cones in a bunch of colors and us very solid all around

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yzbkcf/fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-rd-w#viewImages

That one isn't either....

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

58 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

That one isn't either....

Oops.  Now, this is neither an amazon product or a case but it is usefull.  You can take the cheapest case on the market and add four fans to it and I garuntee it will perform drastically better than a nice looking one with only 1 or 2 fans

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zwGkcf/rosewill-case-fan-rocf13001