quantum dot vs ips?

Cerkoniav

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I plan on giving my current monitor to a friend, so by no means am I going to be in a dual monitor setup. I've narrowed my search down to two very promising monitors but I don't know which will be better. I am looking for image and color quality over refresh rate, so the extra 15hz on the asus monitor isn't a big click for me. Both monitors are 1440p. They're also within $10 of each other so cost isn't a big click either. Freesync won't apply to me on the samsung monitor; I'm running a nvidia card. The samsung one is a VA panel with quantum dot tech and an 1800R curvature, sRGB of 126.6% (the one thing I don't understand about the specifications are these percentages so if you could explain please do). The asus one is an AH-IPS panel, normal features, and an sRGB of 100%. I'm leaning toward the samsung because of curved screen and the extra 2" of screen space, but I don't know the difference between quantum dot and IPS in terms of image quality. My current panel is IPS but is cheap compared to these 2 monitors so I can't compare them. Which one of the two technologies will have sharper images, which will have more vibrant color, and which will have richer blacks and whites?

Spec Sheets:

Samsung CH711

Asus MX25AQ

There's no VS anything.

Quantum dot is a backlight technology ... it's something extra added to LED backlight to make better (wider) color gamut.  The LCD panel itself is still IPS.

You can technically use quantum dot with VA panels as well, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it.

I know that its just a backlight technology, I'm asking with it will I have better quality with the IPS panel or the VA one with quantum dot

Monitor use Blue LED with Yellow phospor coating to create white color/light.

Because of this it creates more blue in the color wave and thus making it harder to achieve a good looking color.

Quantum dots simply use blue led as a backlight and instead of using yellow phosphor its use green and red nanocrystal and they emit its own light thus creating more pure white color hence making the color on your screen looks better than typical white LED i mentioned above.

sRGB is the color space. its the most widely use color space.

Our eyes can distinguish a wide variety of color but our monitor cant display each one of em they can only display a portion of em being sRGB is the most common, color space like Adobe RGB and Pro Photo RGB contains more color but to display each one of em you need a high end graphic design'ish monitor and they can get very very expensive.

So when a monitor says it can display 100% meaning it can cover/display each color from sRGB color space.

however the color wont be as accurate thats why there's something called Delta E a measurement for color accuracy ( u dont need to worry about this one )

But dont be fooled by what manufacturer said.

Most of the times when they claim that their product can display 100% sRGB they can't if u look for a review of the products.

27 minutes ago, Cerkoniav said:

Which one of the two technologies will have sharper images

BOTH

27 minutes ago, Cerkoniav said:

which will have more vibrant color, and which will have richer blacks and whites?

In this case the VA panel (samsung)

Because VA panel are known for their superior contrast ratio and combined with quantum dots i think its going to be better than IPS Overall.

*i am sorry if there's any grammatical mistakes lol

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

The higher the sRGB percentage, it means the more colors the monitor can accurately show on screen.

But unless you're actually a photographer or into HDR and enhanced color spaces like Rec2020, you're never gonna see more colors than what's in sRGB

Here's sRGB and Adobe RGB ... a monitor with more than 100% sRGB just means it can show colors outside that sRGB triangle.

CIE.jpg.4da7a61d38282755fe4630fc425305f8.jpg

But Rec709 (which is the color space used by HD blurays and TV) is pretty much identical to sRGB so any content encoded for TV won't have more colors

Rec.2020 extends this to show more colors on screen

CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg.png

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

it means the more colors the monitor can accurately show on screen.

Color accuracy is measured with Delta E not the percentage of the given color space. ^_^

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore