What's the "ideal" Cable Modem + Wireless Router Piece?

Hello Nerds and Professionals alike!

Long story short: This is what my Dad is currently strolling through the wonderful and free internet with... 

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB5101u-Surfboard-Cable-Modem/dp/B00NOF34JM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511500759&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=motorola+surfboard+sb5101u&psc=1

This is the cable modem he's been using for nearly 10 years, and it's served him well up until about a year ago. Random cut outs and less-than desired performance moved him to ask me for the best upgrade he could go with. He wants a device that would be both a cable modem and a wireless router that'll act as a whisperer for his main network for the office he has in the basement. All-in-one device that can do it all, basically put. 

Anything below $300 though please ~ lol

He doesn't know that I'm going to be the one buying it for him though. Money is tight at the moment for him, but I've been saving for a house-wide overhaul of all of his tech, from the desktops, network, furniture, etc. This is a vital piece of the puzzle that I do need help with. I'm a hardware guy personally, so network-related things are sort of a 5th language to me. What do you guys think I should get my Dad to bring the family gaming/office space to the modern era? I've only got one idea so far that could work, linked below. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :D

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MG7550-Gigabit-Certified-Spectrum/dp/B01JGT2JI6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511500866&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=netgear+ac1900+cable+modem&psc=1

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

Where possible, use a separate cable modem and router for both reliability and stability. But definitely upgrade from the SB5101, as that thing is only DOCSIS2.0 and won't achieve the speeds of DOCSIS3.1 that are coming around the corner. Personally for a router, I recommend the Netgear R7000 as you can install AdvancedTomato on it and its' performance is rock solid.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

To further add on what @kirashi stated. The cable company would most likely like you to get that modem off their network anyway. Docsis 2.0 devices cant exist on a Docsis 3.1 network. For the best part of the last few years, Comcast has been pushing them off their network. Either by slowing the devices down or out right bricking them. I would say buy at least a Docsis 3.0 8x4 modem or possibly better. The more channels generally the better experience and the faster speeds it will support. 

Id stay away from Modem/Router combos. They tend to suffer in one area. Either the modem portion is shit or most likely they have shit WiFi performance. Also stay away from any Modems with Intel Puma 5,6, or 7 chips in them. They seem to all be defective and its hard to say if Intel or the modem manufactures will ever fix the issues. Router wise Ive heard TP Link is good on a budget, Asus and Netgear are also solid. Modem wise, you need to do some research on if your cable provider is upgrading to Docsis 3.1, if they are, it might be worth it to buy a Docsis 3.1 modem now, as it is backwards compatible with Docsis 3.0. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Good stuff, I appreciate the guidance and information! As I said before, money isn't a concern of mine when it comes to the sort of router I'm trying to get for the old man. A DOCSIS 3.1 modem with a separate router is what I'll go with in that case. Dount471 and kirashi mentioned Netgear devices, and I've already found pretty solid options that are both current-gen and decently priced with his brand. Of course, the search isn't finished, and I'll also consider other manufacturers as well. 

Thanks a lot for the preface I needed to start seriously looking at the different options (again, I'm a novice when it comes to networking tech). Awesome stuff!

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)