New pc has been trying to boot for more than 10 minutes. Is the motherboard defective?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vcXPkT

I built a new pc and it has been booting for more than 10 minutes. It keeps turning on for about 28 seconds, then off for a second, then on for another 28 seconds and it keeps doing this. It’s been doing this for about 18 minutes and it hasn’t gotten to BIOS. I cleared the CMOS but nothing has changed. Could the motherboard be defective?

I've heard Ryzen does that to help memory timings, although I'm not sure if it should go on that long....perhaps someone can confirm this for me?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

clear cmos and leave it for 30 minutes not really but if it does not boot until 20 then somethings wrong

Try to only use one RAM stick.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 hours ago, Simon771 said:

This until you upgrade the bios.

7 hours ago, SeaBass2819 said:

I built a new pc and it has been booting for more than 10 minutes. It keeps turning on for about 28 seconds, then off for a second, then on for another 28 seconds and it keeps doing this. It’s been doing this for about 18 minutes and it hasn’t gotten to BIOS. I cleared the CMOS but nothing has changed. Could the motherboard be defective?

You have one stick of ram? Make sure it's in slot A2 on your board. Double check because it does seem to matter. Also, when you clear CMOS, make sure you've unplugged the PC and hit the power button a few times. I prefer the jumper method, seems easier and quicker than leaving the battery out for 5 minutes.

asrock.clrcmos.png.3dbcfa1e873985a1f32ed3db27005010.png

a2b2.png.3303600174772a849d2e746ec5556238.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I only have one stick of RAM

On 11/24/2017 at 12:11 AM, Simon771 said:

I only have one stick

On 11/24/2017 at 6:47 AM, johndms said:

You have one stick of ram? Make sure it's in slot A2 on your board. Double check because it does seem to matter. Also, when you clear CMOS, make sure you've unplugged the PC and hit the power button a few times. I prefer the jumper method, seems easier and quicker than leaving the battery out for 5 minutes.

I’ll try this, but my motherboard doesn’t have an A2 slot. It only has A1 and B1

1 hour ago, SeaBass2819 said:

I only have one stick

Is there any LED turned on your motherboard? Usually they are located near motherboard 24pin connector.

If any of those are turned on, let us know.

If there is LED on for CPU, then it could be your CPU problem.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, SeaBass2819 said:

I’ll try this, but my motherboard doesn’t have an A2 slot. It only has A1 and B1

Dang, I've seen that board several dozen times and never realized it only had two slots for ram. I guess my budget ATX board has a budget sibling. :)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

18 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Is there any LED turned on your motherboard? Usually they are located near motherboard 24pin connector.

No LEDs are on on the motherboard.

18 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I tried a few troubleshooting suggestions and none of them worked. I called the motherboard’s tech support and they said that it’s probably defective and to send it back so it can be replaced. That’s what I did. What would be wrong with the CPU if it was the problem?

6 hours ago, SeaBass2819 said:

I tried a few troubleshooting suggestions and none of them worked. I called the motherboard’s tech support and they said that it’s probably defective and to send it back so it can be replaced. That’s what I did. What would be wrong with the CPU if it was the problem?

A million things could be wrong with CPU, but it's not exactly likely that CPU wouldn't be working.

In most cases the problem is motherboard, but you will see once you get new one back. If that won't solve your problems, I would try to RMA CPU aswell. 

WD My Cloud 4TB