Is CrystalDiskInfo always accurate? This seems off.

Luke

So i bought a used M.2 SSD from someone and it has a ridiculous amount of "Total host reads" and "Total host writes" but it has so few power on hours and power on count. I'm just wondering if CrystalDiskInfo always reports the correct information regarding this? 98TB written data in 38 days (assuming the PC is left on  24/7) seems a bit excessive. I figured i'd ask thoughts on this and also ask if anyone knows another program that shows the amount of data written?

Sandisk M.2 CDI.png

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Crystaldiskinfo just reads the SMART data from the SSD.

No other program will give you a different value because the SMART data will be the same.

This is why you do not buy used storage.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Crystaldiskinfo just reads the SMART data from the SSD.

No other program will give you a different value because the SMART data will be the same.

This is why you do not buy used storage.

I've only ever bought used SSD's. This is more of an example why to ask for CDI screenshots before buying them. Used hard drives on the other hand are rarely a good idea. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

what in the actual...

500 power on count, 928 power on hours, 98 TB written!?

So lets envision how this happened...

It was turned on, had 200 GB written to it at a rate of 30 MB/s (this taking of course about 1.9 hours), and then it was turned off, and this was repeated 500 times.

... who used this thing before you and for what!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what in the actual...

It was turned on, had 200 GB written to it at a rate of 30 MB/s (this taking of course about 1.9 hours), and then it was turned off, and this was repeated 500 times.

prob a scratch disk for Adobe premier

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

prob a scratch disk for Adobe premier

And I didn't even touch on the reads... do you think it would really be this heavily used from that?  Actually, I guess it would be useful to know over what real life time span this usage was incurred.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And I didn't even touch on the reads... do you think it would really be this heavily used from that?  Actually, I guess it would be useful to know over what real life time span this usage was incurred.

its def on the heavy side but my guess is that the SSD was used for 4K RAW footage scratch disk

1 hour of 4K RAW is 318GB already

so imagine 1 day of 4K is 7.76 TB

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

its def on the heavy side but my guess is that the SSD was used for 4K RAW footage scratch disk

1 hour of 4K RAW is 318GB already

so imagine 1 day of 4K is 7.76 TB

What do you mean by "RAW"?  That would definitely be highly compressed even at 318 GB since an hour of "bitmap frames" at  4K 30 fps would be more like 2500 GB

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

What do you mean by "RAW"?  That would definitely be highly compressed even at 318 GB since an hour of "bitmap frames" at  4K 30 fps would be more like 2500 GB

its one of the codec for uncompressed videos or pictures usually from 4K supported cameras like Nikon,Canon,  Blackmagic 4K etc

H.264 is the common standard for video codec and is the highly compressed version much like the JPEG for pictures files

http://www.4kshooters.net/2014/06/25/how-much-hard-disk-space-do-you-need-shooting-4k/

you can see the link i have given for sizes of 4K and 1080P in different codec and devices

The Blackmagic 4K with ProRes is already eating 318GB( ok my bad here is slightly compressed)

in RAW its actually 741.6GB per 1 hour footage file

I just sent the seller a message so all we be answered in time i hope. I'm not going to refund the drive or anything. It's my fault for not asking for the CDI screenshot before buying like i normally do and the SSD will be used in a Netflix machine so it won't see much writes at all in the rest of it's life. I'm mostly just curious at this point so i hope the seller answers honestly.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

its one of the codec for uncompressed videos or pictures usually from 4K supported cameras like Nikon,Canon,  Blackmagic 4K etc

H.264 is the common standard for video codec and is the highly compressed version much like the JPEG for pictures files

http://www.4kshooters.net/2014/06/25/how-much-hard-disk-space-do-you-need-shooting-4k/

you can see the link i have given for sizes of 4K and 1080P in different codec and devices

The Blackmagic 4K with ProRes is already eating 318GB( ok my bad here is slightly compressed)

in RAW its actually 741.6GB per 1 hour footage file

oh so it's a video format that's just sensor data like a RAW or NEF file is for stills?  Didn't realize that was even a thing :P

741.6 still sounds low though... what is the resolution? I assumed 3840 x 2160 but I know cameras don't necessarily use that

Just now, Luke said:

I just sent the seller a message so all we be answered in time i hope. I'm not going to refund the drive or anything. It's my fault for not asking for the CDI screenshot before buying like i normally do and the SSD will be used in a Netflix machine so it won't see much writes at all in the rest of it's life. I'm mostly just curious at this point so i hope the seller answers honestly.

Well to answer the question, I think Enderman covered it: yes, this is accurate, because it's just telling you what the drive recorded for itself and I am not aware of anything that would corrupt that in such a way

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh so it's a video format that's just sensor data like a RAW or NEF file is for stills?  Didn't realize that was even a thing :P

741.6 still sounds low though... what is the resolution? I assumed 3840 x 2160 but I know cameras don't necessarily use that

yes it 4K much like what Linus using the Red camera

it can add up when you are doing hundreds of hours of footage over like 1 to 2 years

13 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what in the actual...

To be fair a good number of those power on counts may have been from the factory before shipping during testing.  But even then it seems like someone used the HELL out of this drive in short order.  Unless something was causing it to record bad data.