I need i5-4690K upgrade opinions!

gurnben

Hey guys, 

It's Christmas time again and that means sales.  I've noticed as of late that my i5-4690k is bottlenecking my computer (I have an i5, a gtx 1070, 16gb of ram, and SSD boot drive).  I've primarily noticed lag on GTA. 

I already planned to upgrade around this time, but it's a bit more interesting since Ryzen is here.  So here's the new parts I'm thinking: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TLLJjc

I can elaborate on other system specs (as they aren't on the list) if needed.  The premise is I'll either be changing to a newer Intel platform with a new CPU, motherboard, and DDR4 ram or a ryzen 7 with a new motherboard and ram.  

Opinions? 

3 minutes ago, gurnben said:

Hey guys, 

It's Christmas time again and that means sales.  I've noticed as of late that my i5-4690k is bottlenecking my computer (I have an i5, a gtx 1070, 16gb of ram, and SSD boot drive).  I've primarily noticed lag on GTA. 

I already planned to upgrade around this time, but it's a bit more interesting since Ryzen is here.  So here's the new parts I'm thinking: 

I can elaborate on other system specs (as they aren't on the list) if needed.  The premise is I'll either be changing to a newer Intel platform with a new CPU, motherboard, and DDR4 ram or a ryzen 7 with a new motherboard and ram.  

Opinions? 

Well, if you've got the money the 8600/8600K would be an excellent upgrade. However with Ryzen you really don't need to go above the 1700 at all, and if they are available at a reasonable price an i7 4790K would be a good upgrade (in Australia at least a lot of the time now its cheaper to go with Ryzen 5+new board+new RAM. Glad I went from my i5 4440 to 4790K when I did).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, gurnben said:

Hey guys, 

Opinions? 

If you're intending to go Ryzen, 1700 or 1700X* would be a better choice than 1800X.

*Taken into account you already have CPU Cooler and price is similar to/ lower than 1700 on this date of post.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

either of the i7 4770k and i7 4790k

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Well, if you've got the money the 8600/8600K would be an excellent upgrade. However with Ryzen you really don't need to go above the 1700 at all, and if they are available at a reasonable price an i7 4790K would be a good upgrade (in Australia at least a lot of the time now its cheaper to go with Ryzen 5+new board+new RAM. Glad I went from my i5 4440 to 4790K when I did).

I actually debated that, but it looks like a 4790k is just as expensive in the US a ryzen 7-1800x.  I'm also on the fence about the 8600 vs the ryzen 7-1800x or even 1700!

3 minutes ago, gurnben said:

I actually debated that, but it looks like a 4790k is just as expensive in the US a ryzen 7-1800x.  I'm also on the fence about the 8600 vs the ryzen 7-1800x or even 1700!

Well with the 1700 vs the 1800x, all your getting is higher stock clocks plus a slightly better chance to hit 4.1GHz-even if a 1700 doesn't overclock past 3.9GHz the performance difference is small and you could put money saved into faster RAM-which Ryzen loves.

1 minute ago, gurnben said:

Next question here: i5-8600k or ryzen 7-1700x?

Unless your main goal is content creation, the 8600k is the better CPU.

PMSL

Well with the 1700 vs the 1800x, all your getting is higher stock clocks plus a slightly better chance to hit 4.1GHz-even if a 1700 doesn't overclock past 3.9GHz the performance difference is small and you could put money saved into faster RAM-which Ryzen loves.

Ok, that makes sense for sure, any ram recommendations?  I know at launch ryzen was pretty particular about ram!  Also: is it wise to go for ryzen 7 vs the 8600k?  I've not been fully in the PC circles as of late (thanks to college).

i would look for a used 4770K or 4790K and sell your core i5 to help pay for it, that way you don't need a new motherboard and new RAM and you'll still be as fast or faster than any ryzen in games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Ok, that makes sense for sure, any ram recommendations?  I know at launch ryzen was pretty particular about ram!  Also: is it wise to go for ryzen 7 vs the 8600k?  I've not been fully in the PC circles as of late (thanks to college).

I wouldn't actually know what to go with-still dealing with DDR2&DDR3, but generally the higher the frequency the better.
The 8600K its better for games and close in productivity, but the 1700's higher core+thread count does help if your editing videos/streaming etc.

PMSL

16 minutes ago, gurnben said:

If you need/want 8 cores there's no better time to buy Ryzen with 1800Xs being so cheap

You need a CPU cooler though

For RAM there should be Ripjaws V/Trident Z 3200mhz kits at that price point

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8600K is quite a bit faster than ryzen in games and current graphics cards and current games doesnt even allow it to fully stretch it's legs just yet so you can expect this diference between the two to grow even greater over time...ryzen ain't that great for gaming, especially if you come from a modern intel rig.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Streetguru said:

If you need/want 8 cores there's no better time to buy Ryzen with 1800Xs being so cheap

You need a CPU cooler though

That was my logic as well, I already have a Corsair h60!

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would look for a used 4770K or 4790K and sell your core i5 to help pay for it, that way you don't need a new motherboard and new RAM and you'll still be as fast or faster than any ryzen in games.

7 minutes ago, gurnben said:

Here.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

8600K is quite a bit faster than ryzen in games and current graphics cards and current games doesnt even allow it to fully stretch it's legs just yet so you can expect this diference between the two to grow even greater over time...ryzen ain't that great for gaming, especially if you come from a modern intel rig.

Its just a shame that some times to get a current i7, you have to spend more on it than an RX 580 (fun fact, a 4790K for my friend would be $160 more expensive than the barely used ex mining RX 580 8GB he has)

PMSL

BTW, the 1700 includes a stock cooler-according to your Amazon link the 1800x doesn't.

PMSL

Its just a shame that some times to get a current i7, you have to spend more on it than an RX 580 (fun fact, a 4790K for my friend would be $160 more expensive than the barely used ex mining RX 580 8GB he has)

yeah but if you can find it for say 220$ US or something like that...and you can sell the i5-4690K for say...120$...that's just 100$ upgrade and you get a nice fast CPU for games.

2 minutes ago, gurnben said:

That was my logic as well, I already have a Corsair h60!

Just gotta get an AM4 bracket for it, or better yet just get a new cooler, something better like a 240mm AIO and sell the old one with the old CPU

Would not upgrade to an i7 on the same platform, since that's basically paying $300 for Hyperthreading, even at $200 that kind of sucks.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah but if you can find it for say 220$ US or something like that...and you can sell the i5-4690K for say...120$...that's just 100$ upgrade and you get a nice fast CPU for games.

Its a bit harder when its an i5 4440 that needs to be sold-demand for those is kind of low.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Would not upgrade to an i7 on the same platform, since that's basically paying $300 for Hyperthreading, even at $200 that kind of sucks.

you lost the plot...a used 4770K/4790K should not cost 300$...and also you forget that he can sell his unlocked core i5 for a pretty penny too...and if all he do is gaming, the 47X0K is faster than ANY ryzen in games, even if you ''overclock'' the ryzen;.

That way he does not need to spend 100$ on a board....200$ on RAM...etc.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you lost the plot...a used 4770K/4790K should not cost 300$...and also you forget that he can sell his unlocked core i5 for a pretty penny too...and if all he do is gaming, the 47X0K is faster than ANY ryzen in games, even if you ''overclock'' the ryzen;.

It shouldn't but it kind of does most of the time, at least from a quick google search.

and you can sell the i5 in any event, the i7 is likely faster in games yes, but if Coffee Lake is doing like 120fps, Ryzen is doing 100fps in the average AAA game, more than fine really, and you get double the cores naturally.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Just gotta get an AM4 bracket for it, or better yet just get a new cooler, something better like a 240mm AIO and sell the old one with the old CPU

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Its a bit harder when its an i5 4440 that needs to be sold-demand for those is kind of low.

My logic is basically this:

It'll cost me at least 150$ for a 4790k given that I sell my i5, and even then I'm just paying for hyperthreading and it's harder to sell a mobo than a movie/CPU/stock cooler/ram combo.  

I'm willing to shell out about 550$ for an upgrade, I'm just u sure whether to go for ryzen 7 or the 8600k, both of which for in the budget but Intel motherboards are incredibly expensive!  

Also note: I game on this computer but I also do Computer Science projects including systems work, os work, and app development on this, granted these aren't very demanding projects tbh.  It's also a professional workstation and I'm not sure whether to go Intel or AMD.  The future is multithreading, but Intel has higher IPC.  

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

and you can sell the i5 in any event, the i7 is likely faster in games yes, but if Coffee Lake is doing like 120fps, Ryzen is doing 100fps in the average AAA game, more than fine really, and you get double the cores naturally.

in ''current'' games...with current graphics cards...what in 3 years from now when games gets more challenging and more advanced and you can get mid-range nvidia card that is 50% stronger than a GTX 1080ti...what will this difference look like then?

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That way he does not need to spend 100$ on a board....200$ on RAM...etc.

Or... he could sell his whole processor, motherboard and RAMs as a bundle together to make up for the cost of upgrade.