Ryzen 7 OC Help

ABehery

Hello,

So I started overclocking my R7 1700 today and have got several novice questions.

My motherboard only allowed offset voltage so currently I'm running 3725 Hz with an offset of +0.00625, question is, on HWMonitor, my CPU VCORE and VID sometimes randomly drop to 0.400V under no load, is this natural?
image.png.b462a4c1e40aa5cf9b61adc99c0034ca.png

Also, Is there a P-state option on my motherboard Asus TUF B350M Plus Gaming, because I cant find any, and is there any problem running 3725 Hz constantly except for the additional power draw?

Thank you!

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

bad-reporting sensor

So is there a faulty sensor or is it just bad in general

Just now, ABehery said:

So is there a faulty sensor or is it just bad in general

use HWInfo64 and use the CPU sensors, not the motherboard ones

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

use HWInfo64 and use the CPU sensors, not the motherboard ones

image.png.d8a3914987ad5383adbf31992287ef73.png

Thank you, it seems to be that the motherboard's sensors aren't accurate.

Regarding running 3725Hz all the time, would this be a problem?

2 minutes ago, ABehery said:

image.png.d8a3914987ad5383adbf31992287ef73.png

Thank you, it seems to be that the motherboard's sensors aren't accurate.

Regarding running 3725Hz all the time, would this be a problem?

thats a decent result if its stable and should not pose  any problem for the VRM

Mobo sensors are not always accurate

I need to talk with buildzoid about it but generally i'm planning to measure it from the bacc of the socket to get an accurate baseline of the real vcore

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

thats a decent result if its stable and should not pose  any problem for the VRM

Mobo sensors are not always accurate

I need to talk with buildzoid about it but generally i'm planning to measure it from the bacc of the socket to get an accurate baseline of the real vcore

I ran CineBench R15 multiple times consistently and Its stable, will be doing Prime95 later, for now, it seems like I'll always be going 3725 Hz.

Thanks for your time

That's great result.

I had to use 1,275V for 3,7GHz on my R7 1700, so it seems you got nice chip there :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

11 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

That's great result.

I had to use 1,275V for 3,7GHz on my R7 1700, so it seems you got nice chip there :)

Hopefully It can handle some Prime95 torture, CineBench R15 seem fine though!

3 hours ago, ABehery said:

on HWMonitor, my CPU VCORE and VID sometimes randomly drop to 0.400V under no load, is this natural?

For the record, the correct line to read is CPU VDD (Node 0) for CPU Core Voltage. And don't mistake VID for VCore. Not the same thing.

2 hours ago, ABehery said:

Hopefully It can handle some Prime95 torture, CineBench R15 seem fine though!

Cinebench can be used as as quick test, but it's useless as a true stability test. It doesn't run long enough and doesn't allow heat to properly build and spread.

While Prime95 works to test stability, I often find it pushes things a bit too hard and unrealistic. I recommend Aida64's System Stability Test stressing CPU/FPU/Cache (first three checkboxes) for at least 1 hour until you find the overclock you decide to stay with. Then do the same stress test for 4-6 hours. I leave mine running overnight (6+hours) to ensure stability. I like Aida64's ability to monitor "CPU Diode" temperature and "CPU VDD" all in the same window. Just add them via Preferences. Note, if you see sensors options for both CPU and CPU Diode, choose the later. Diode should correspond to Package Temperature or Tdie in other monitoring software.

As long as your Diode (Tdie) temperature stays below 80c, you're fine.

Edit: Aww crap, somehow I missed my 1000th post. *sadface*

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

1 hour ago, johndms said:

For the record, the correct line to read is CPU VDD (Node 0) for CPU Core Voltage. And don't mistake VID for VCore. Not the same thing.

Cinebench can be used as as quick test, but it's useless as a true stability test. It doesn't run long enough and doesn't allow heat to properly build and spread.

While Prime95 works to test stability, I often find it pushes things a bit too hard and unrealistic. I recommend Aida64's System Stability Test stressing CPU/FPU/Cache (first three checkboxes) for at least 1 hour until you find the overclock you decide to stay with. Then do the same stress test for 4-6 hours. I leave mine running overnight (6+hours) to ensure stability. I like Aida64's ability to monitor "CPU Diode" temperature and "CPU VDD" all in the same window. Just add them via Preferences. Note, if you see sensors options for both CPU and CPU Diode, choose the later. Diode should correspond to Package Temperature or Tdie in other monitoring software.

As long as your Diode (Tdie) temperature stays below 80c, you're fine.

Edit: Aww crap, somehow I missed my 1000th post. *sadface*

Thanks so much, and congratulations :D