Is it possible to put two RAID 0 arrays in RAID 1?

ReyazJunior
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

This technically would be known as RAID 01, or "a mirror of stripes". This isn't popular because if any one drive dies, you still end up losing all data.

RAID10 is preferred. This is known as a "Stripe of mirrors". You can lose one drive in each mirrored array without the whole system dying.

I would say go with RAID10 if you have to have the IO speed. I would also question yourself if maybe paying up the extra bit of cash for a NVMe drive make sense if you really need that kind of speed.

The title says it. The case of my choice is the Corsair Crystal 570X. It has two 2.5" bays and two 3.5" bays. If I use adaptors, I can put four Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB SSD's in my system. If I put two of these in one RAID 0 array, and the other two in another RAID 0 array, will it work out? What if I put these two drives, Drive C and D, in a RAID 1 array? So I will get speeds of RAID 0 and the data backup of RAID 1. Or should I put these 4 drives in RAID 10 only? Will it be better? Another way to achieve this would have been to put the four drives in a RAID configuration that gives speed but no backup and use an external HDD for system backup. Which way is better? Please also give your explanation of why you chose that setup.

Running 4 drives in RAID 0 is a terrible idea. the risk of error get extremly big. for each disk you add to a raid 0 aray you multiply the risk of whole array failure. CUDA_Cores suggestion is a much better option than your thought of raid 10 array. Also what are you reading and writing so much that it's worth the risk of raid for trying to achieve this bump in speeds from raid?. if it's just for snappier system performance i would deffinetly go with NVME for system maybe add a bit of SSD for bulk and use HDD for backup.

TL:DR. CUDA_Cores is right

This technically would be known as RAID 01, or "a mirror of stripes". This isn't popular because if any one drive dies, you still end up losing all data.

RAID10 is preferred. This is known as a "Stripe of mirrors". You can lose one drive in each mirrored array without the whole system dying.

I would say go with RAID10 if you have to have the IO speed. I would also question yourself if maybe paying up the extra bit of cash for a NVMe drive make sense if you really need that kind of speed.