Find out if selling HDD was used

Dogway

I decided to buy one old HDD that still uses PMR, there are not many models to choose since it's a 2Tb 2.5" drive so it has to be this model, the problem is I wondered if SMART statistics could be faked/resetted to look like if it was new, and it certainly seems it could be done, so do you know another way to find out if an HDD has been used before (that can be legally justified)? Thank you.

Smart attributes can be reset with the right tools but its not likely someone will go through the effort of doing it.

4 minutes ago, Dogway said:

I decided to buy one old HDD that still uses PMR, there are not many models to choose since it's a 2Tb 2.5" drive so it has to be this model, the problem is I wondered if SMART statistics could be faked/resetted to look like if it was new, and it certainly seems it could be done, so do you know another way to find out if an HDD has been used before (that can be legally justified)? Thank you.

SMART statistics can tell you "on time" which is basically how many hours the drive has been powered on. Other than that, not really unless you go into forensic stuff.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Smart attributes can be reset with the right tools but its not likely someone will go through the effort of doing it.

Unless it's a certain eBay seller (*cough*refurbforless*cough*)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Open it up and see if the magic elves that make the platters spin look old.  Any gray hair is a dead give-away.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

^ That ^

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Open it up and see if the magic elves that make the platters spin look old.  Any gray hair is a dead give-away.

The typical smarty-pants of the forums, a candy for you.

I thought on checking magnetism loss or probably traces of data (a full format is known to leave traces hence the recommendation to full format several times).