Ram Upgrade Help!

Adgj533

Hey guys,

I have 8gb of memory on my pc now, i want to upgrade to 16. If i buy 2 new sticks, does the ram timings/latency matter? my current ram is like 9:11:11 or something and the new one i found was like 10:12 etc

so if i purchase that one, will it give compatibility errors?

Any Input is greatly appreciated.

If you have 2 4GB sticks then buy another 2 4GB, if you have an 8GB stick then buy another 8GB stick, for compatibility reasons.

RAM timings are preferred to be the same, though if you match different ones the mobo will run with the higher latency ones.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Adgj533 said:

Hey guys,

I have 8gb of memory on my pc now, i want to upgrade to 16. If i buy 2 new sticks, does the ram timings/latency matter? my current ram is like 9:11:11 or something and the new one i found was like 10:12 etc

so if i purchase that one, will it give compatibility errors?

Any Input is greatly appreciated.

I am going to assume you have only one stick of RAM that is 8GB........If you put a second 8GB stick in to the system the BIOS will try to make the 9.11.11 run with the same frequancey and timings of the 10.12.etc because the the 10.12.etc is of a higher latency and this is if it even boots at all, you may get a RAM issue and if you have a MOBO with a Q-LED or Q-Code you will be notified about it, if you do not have such a MOBO it will just look as if it froze.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Same sets is better than.....

The lowest running ram will be favored by the machine.

I have 2 4gb sticks right now and my mobo is asus z97-k i have gskill ram but I bought my PC from cyberpower and I cant find the exact ram they used online. I think its discontinued, so idk what to do. This is the ram I want to buy:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231654&cm_re=G.SKILL_F3-2133C10D-_-20-231-654-_-Product

its not exactly like my current ram but its the closest thing I could find. According to CPU-Z my current ram is gskill 2133mhz ddr3 part number: f3-17000CL11

so should i Not upgrade? just stick with the current ram? i dont want compatiblity issues and I dont have money to buy a new kit for 16gb.

@Jurrunio

@Leonard

@Goildzy

I think this is my current ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

but its not stock anywhere, i checked new egg and amazon. can you guys recommend a similar product that would work with these?

Thanks for all your help

1 hour ago, Adgj533 said:

I have 2 4gb sticks right now and my mobo is asus z97-k i have gskill ram but I bought my PC from cyberpower and I cant find the exact ram they used online. I think its discontinued, so idk what to do. This is the ram I want to buy:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231654&cm_re=G.SKILL_F3-2133C10D-_-20-231-654-_-Product

its not exactly like my current ram but its the closest thing I could find. According to CPU-Z my current ram is gskill 2133mhz ddr3 part number: f3-17000CL11

so should i Not upgrade? just stick with the current ram? i dont want compatiblity issues and I dont have money to buy a new kit for 16gb.

@Jurrunio

@Leonard

@Goildzy

I think this is my current ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

but its not stock anywhere, i checked new egg and amazon. can you guys recommend a similar product that would work with these?

Thanks for all your help

If you can purchase online from amazon then here that is the exact RAM as the RAM ID you posted which is f3-17000CL11, so start there first, IDK what you think about the price though it is kind of a strange time to buy PC parts because prices are wonky.

The thing about buying different RAM is you really won't know what will happen until you install it, it may work with no issues, it may work with issues and then it may not work at all.

Yes reading the previous post its like he says you csn search per part nr. Yeh and all the rest hahaha damn ram prices!

58 minutes ago, Leonard said:

If you can purchase online from amazon then here that is the exact RAM as the RAM ID you posted which is f3-17000CL11, so start there first, IDK what you think about the price though it is kind of a strange time to buy PC parts because prices are wonky.

The thing about buying different RAM is you really won't know what will happen until you install it, it may work with no issues, it may work with issues and then it may not work at all.

Oof thats 200 buvks for 2100 looool wth. OP better buy a 16 gb set for sadly 150+ dollar try sell ur old for 80-90 i guess and ull have a nice 16gb paired up

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

yeah amazon has them but its used ram and the new one is 200+, i saw a different ram on the gskill website with same clock speed and latency timings. but it had a different name. i think it was called sniper or something. i might have to try those

2 hours ago, Adgj533 said:

yeah amazon has them but its used ram and the new one is 200+, i saw a different ram on the gskill website with same clock speed and latency timings. but it had a different name. i think it was called sniper or something. i might have to try those

If possible, always try to match RAM with the one you already have. I have heard of people running into issues otherwise. I have even heard of people running into issues using the same brand and type of RAM but from different batches.

Otherwise, buy from a source with a good return policy, so you can return the new ram if it doesnt work.

I must say, I think back in the day I have mixed and matched different manufacturers of DDR2 ram in my desktops, and never had any major issues.

EDIT: yes RAM prices are crazy right now. If you can wait, better wait. The set of 16GB DDR4 I bought for $102 6 months ago is now $160!

5 hours ago, Adgj533 said:

What you should do is get a 16GB kit of 2x 8GB sticks and put the kit you have now as a backup. On the Gskill site you can use their RAM configurator for your MOBO and then pick a frequency you want/like and then source them. 

GL hunting!

@Leonard @maartendc @Goildzy hey if I buy a cas10 ram and clock it to match my current cas11 ram, would that work? i saw a cheap option for like $70, same brand same speed but diff timings.

1 hour ago, Adgj533 said:

@Leonard @maartendc @Goildzy hey if I buy a cas10 ram and clock it to match my current cas11 ram, would that work? i saw a cheap option for like $70, same brand same speed but diff timings.

It should but that is if the RAM you are looking to purchase can actually run at whatever timings, voltage and frequency the current RAM is now running at and if the two different kits of RAM will work together.

RAM is a very odd thing to work with and getting different kits of RAM of the same RAM type which is DDR2/DDR3/DDR4/etc., to run at higher frequencies than 1333mhz is really dependent on the MOBO and kit you choose and also your ability to manually OC the RAM. Now i would like to say that manually OCing RAM is an easy thing but it really is very time consuming and frustrating when you want to get a specific frequency and one kit just won't do it with a specific timing and voltage but the other would.

I think your best bet, if you can not find your exact kit of RAM of course, is to just look for a 16GB 2133mhz kit of of 2x 8GB and put that in your system and have the current kit as a stand by and yes it will cost more than $70 because RAM prices are just outrageous now.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh no thats bad. Imo...you can easy google the part s/n to find matching sticks. Dont try to stay at ur current ram stuff but upgrade. I keep standing by my first saying (sorry for late reply kol) and that is buy a new 16gb set sell old, check up prices for old and go below it...a bit