Moving Just Windows to an SSD

Archetype117

So, I've been looking into an SSD to speed up the boot time of my Pc and I'm leaning towards a 256gb or 512gb m.2 NVME drive. I currently have a 2TB HDD that I use for everything for everything (boot drive, music creation stuff, software, steam library, etc) which is currently about half full but I don't want to migrate all of this to an SSD. I just want the windows installation on the drive along with 3 or so games. Is this possible with drive cloning software or a similar tool which can just move windows to the new drive or will I have to reinstall windows on a new drive? 

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

4 minutes ago, Archetype117 said:

So, I've been looking into an SSD to speed up the boot time of my Pc and I'm leaning towards a 256gb or 512gb m.2 NVME drive. I currently have a 2TB HDD that I use for everything for everything (boot drive, music creation stuff, software, steam library, etc) which is currently about half full but I don't want to migrate all of this to an SSD. I just want the windows installation on the drive along with 3 or so games. Is this possible with drive cloning software or a similar tool which can just move windows to the new drive or will I have to reinstall windows on a new drive? 

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

From what I've heard plus my own experimenting, you can't clone different sized drives over and moving windows itself over is often a bad idea, just fresh install Windows onto the SSD and delete the old install from the HDD, and keep the files, but back them up first in case it all gets broken, windows loves to fuck up. Whats the specs of your current PC?

Yours faithfully

It would be a lot easier to do a clean install of Windows.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

From what I've heard plus my own experimenting, you can't clone different sized drives over and moving windows itself over is often a bad idea, just fresh install Windows onto the SSD and delete the old install from the HDD, and keep the files, but back them up first in case it all gets broken, windows loves to fuck up. Whats the specs of your current PC?

Thanks for the reply, thought that would be the case :(

NOt the ideal situation as I have allot of custom tweaks and settings added to windows but hey ho.

My current specs are: 7th gen I5 7600k

Gtx 1050TI

SoundBlaster sound card

2tb Hard drive

8Gb RAM

1 minute ago, Archetype117 said:

Thanks for the reply, thought that would be the case :(

NOt the ideal situation as I have allot of custom tweaks and settings added to windows but hey ho.

My current specs are: 7th gen I5 7600k

Gtx 1050TI

SoundBlaster sound card

2tb Hard drive

8Gb RAM

An M.2 drive will work flawlessly in that system, but you can try to copy over some configuration files, however that's a bit risky, I'd advise just redoing it all, Windows given any chance on custom stuff, with custom tweaks, will commit suicide no questions asked. 

Yours faithfully