Windows 98 Intel pro 1000 mt setup

Jsmith2211

Hi, i have broadband, so i want to use my internet with my old win98 pc. I bought an intel pro 1000mt nic, installed drivers, and it dissables every time i restart, it wont connect to the windows network, it wont connect to internet. PLease help, i know nothing about windows 98!

James

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

installing windows xp gives u more chances if u dont know how win98 works, xD win98 sucks  u need to do everything manually

But DOS

first question is why? you could probably find a more powerful, up to date, and with a new verion of windows pc at your local dump... single core pentium 2 or 3 is going to give you a terrible online experience.. to the point i doubt even google would load, a modern website could saturate the limited amount of ram remaning once the OS has taken its share.

if you want to run dos based programs just install a virtual machine and or a DOS program

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

first question is why? you could probably find a more powerful, up to date, and with a new verion of windows pc at your local dump... single core pentium 2 or 3 is going to give you a terrible online experience.. to the point i doubt even google would load, a modern website could saturate the limited amount of ram remaning once the OS has taken its share.

im using a sempron 3200+, 1.8ghz. I want to play some old games and have a way of getting drivers and stuff on to it without using CD's up

EDIT: I'm also using 1GB of ram

Just now, Joelsome said:

im using a sempron 3200+, 1.8ghz. I want to play some old games and have a way of getting drivers and stuff on to it without using CD's up

you could do all that in a virtual OS! as for getting drivers on it, a USB floppy drive would cost pennies, or even a virtual one if you prefer... i think the entire world has gone past caring about windows 98, its games and any of its drivers... so download away!

windows xp would give a far better experience with non of the limitations. and if its just for dos games use Virtual DOS machine

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

16 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Hi, i have broadband, so i want to use my internet with my old win98 pc. I bought an intel pro 1000mt nic, installed drivers, and it dissables every time i restart, it wont connect to the windows network, it wont connect to internet. PLease help, i know nothing about windows 98!

James

I think you'd be better set to find an old 100mbit 3com PCI NIC, Most of the early 2000s have drivers for DOS and later. I think the 3com I used to have is a 3c905b-tx, but I use either a D-Link DFE-530TX+ , or an Intel PRO 100 M, both work in DOS and above.

Not actually the database software, just some furry. Vintage tech enthusiast, has more old tech than they know what to do with.

Main system: i5-4690k, 16GB DDR3, 2x120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, CD-ROM Drive (in 2017 lol), R9 270X 2GB, Windows 7

Laptop: MacBookPro9,1, i7-3615QM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, GT650M 512MB, macOS 10.13

3 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

you could do all that in a virtual OS! as for getting drivers on it, a USB floppy drive would cost pennies, or even a virtual one if you prefer... i think the entire world has gone past caring about windows 98, its games and any of its drivers... so download away!

windows xp would give a far better experience with non of the limitations. and if its just for dos games use Virtual DOS machine

Depending on the games they would want to run, some don't like XP or later and either will run poorly, or not at all. It's a safe bet to do a VM, but there's also an advantage to the real hardware (VM graphics adapters can only do so much!).

Not actually the database software, just some furry. Vintage tech enthusiast, has more old tech than they know what to do with.

Main system: i5-4690k, 16GB DDR3, 2x120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, CD-ROM Drive (in 2017 lol), R9 270X 2GB, Windows 7

Laptop: MacBookPro9,1, i7-3615QM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, GT650M 512MB, macOS 10.13

1 minute ago, FoxPro said:

Depending on the games they would want to run, some don't like XP or later and either will run poorly, or not at all. It's a safe bet to do a VM, but there's also an advantage to the real hardware (VM graphics adapters can only do so much!).

i dont remember having too much issue back in the day after upgrading to xp! compatabilty changer was a useful feature.

im half tempted to download 95 now for some nestolgia!! remember my dad coming home with windows 95 retail version with all its floppies! oh and a 40mb hard drive to upgrade!

Just now, Badger906 said:

i dont remember having too much issue back in the day after upgrading to xp! compatabilty changer was a useful feature.

im half tempted to download 95 now for some nestolgia!! remember my dad coming home with windows 95 retail version with all its floppies! oh and a 40mb hard drive to upgrade!

Oh believe me you do NOT want to install 95 off disks, its upwards of 30-40 floppies, I've been there done that, it took about 3 hours to install. XP was good with old games yes but I think it was the kernel change from DOS to NT that borked a handful of games, and for DOS games, the windows XP DOS box isn't a "real" DOS instance like the 9x series'.

1 minute ago, FoxPro said:

Oh believe me you do NOT want to install 95 off disks, its upwards of 30-40 floppies, I've been there done that, it took about 3 hours to install. XP was good with old games yes but I think it was the kernel change from DOS to NT that borked a handful of games, and for DOS games, the windows XP DOS box isn't a "real" DOS instance like the 9x series'.

i still have windows 95 and all its floppies somewhere! not that i have a floppy drive.. dont even own a computer with a disc drive!! bought a CD the other day and completely forgot i had no means to play it... had to do some gigging and pocking with my paint mixing computer in my shop to get it to copy and put it ona pen drive... such a 1st world issue!!

2 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

i still have windows 95 and all its floppies somewhere! not that i have a floppy drive.. dont even own a computer with a disc drive!! bought a CD the other day and completely forgot i had no means to play it... had to do some gigging and pocking with my paint mixing computer in my shop to get it to copy and put it ona pen drive... such a 1st world issue!!

I've got stacks of floppy and optical drives. I need it for all my computers, I only have maybe 4 that were made within the last 10 years, the other 20 or so that I have are all optical and floppy based systems, going back to a 386 or 68000 if you count my macs as well. It teaches patience imo, a time when not everything was instant, a simpler time.