Connecting fans PWM and non PWM

StabHD

Hello guys, this is my first time building a computer and one thing i am confused with is connecting fans. The rig I’m building has 5 fans but my motherboard has 3 4pin Chassis fan connecters. The fans I’m planning on using is the “be quiet! pure wings 2 PWM”. Since my motherboard doesn’t have a molex adapter for me to use this fan splitter from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D3KQ54/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1H9NMCPZH97BO

Can plugging fans on your motherboard fry it? Will it fry both motherboard and fan?

I wonder, even if my fans are PWM, would they work on a non-PWM adapters/molex? I know that i would not get the PWM control function.

Can you guys link me to some molex fan splitters I can use? this is confusing as hell. 

What are the pros and cons of using PWM and non-PWM fans?

Btw i don’t thing my case can fit a fan hub in the back.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rXqcJV

Edit: In fact there is a high possibility that i might go with non-PWM connectors and if i want, i could upgrade to PWM and try to find a small hub. Since i might go for that i just want to know if anyone could link me to any good molex connectors that just plug into power supply. The reason I’m asking for anyone to recommend me a good molex connector that plugs into a power supply is because I’ve heard of people’s rig catching fire because their molex connector was trash.

Update: I may possible go with 2 intake and 1 exhaust fan but it would be appreciated if you guys could answer my questions anyways incase i was the upgrade.

btw this build is a WIP. Later along the line I’m going to change the GPU and maybe the monitor when the prices are really low. For now I’m sticking with

Btw please follow this post because i might ask more questions.

7 minutes ago, StabHD said:

Btw please follow this post because i might ask more questions.

Yes PWM fans can run fine on non-PWM headers, you just have to control them by DC instead of PWM.

And there is no need to follow the thread, you can use the quote button to reply to people and they will get a notification.

|

V

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

57 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes PWM fans can run fine on non-PWM headers, you just have to control them by DC instead of PWM.

And there is no need to follow the thread, you can use the quote button to reply to people and they will get a notification.

|

V

My power supply came with a male molex connector, For right now Im  using 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. can you link me to any molex connectors that can help me connect up to 4-5 case fans?

1 hour ago, StabHD said:

My power supply came with a male molex connector, For right now Im  using 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. can you link me to any molex connectors that can help me connect up to 4-5 case fans?

https://www.amazon.ca/Phobya-4-Pin-3-Pin-Splitter-Connection/dp/B007S3T4O0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1510812212&sr=8-8&keywords=molex+fan+splitter

https://www.amazon.ca/BitFenix-Alchemy-Multisleeve-Triple-Adapter/dp/B004J3P658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510812249&sr=8-1&keywords=molex+fan+3+pin

Just search for molex to fan splitter.

You won't be able to control the speed this way though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your mobo has 3 headers and Asus is best manufacturer when it comes to fan control. Lets start with that fact. And the fact that case comes with 2 fans which are good ones.

My sugtgestions:

• You don't need more fans than included. You don't need to change them either. If you want to add fans, getting 1 for rear exhaust will do fine. Move included fans both to front.
  • You can always add fans later if you like, but I personally don't see point of stuffing case with fans. They don't improve temps that much in general.
  • Use mobo headers when possible. You have 3, so using 3 case fans you are fine. I would also use Y-splitters instead of 3/4-ways splitters whenever possible. You can double amount of fans just with Y-splitters.
  • Don't use molex for anything if you can avoid it. Its legacy connector and there are many recommended splitters that use SATA as powering connector.
  • Each mobo header is fine for 2-4 fans. You'll need to do little math to make sure. Header can stand up to 1A power draw. Each fan draws 0.25-0.43A (said in spec sheet). This includes using non-powered splitters. If splitter has external power, you can connect as many as you like. Hence why there is 8-ways Swiftech (or is it Silverstone) splitter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv