My Grandma's Computer

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
Just now, coyotetracker said:

Thanks a lot, I think that's the build I'm going to go with just one question. Shouldn't there be 2 sticks of four instead 1 stick of 8 you know for dual channel support?

In the sort of build you're doing, it doesn't matter much imo. Since you have lots of room in the budget, a 2x4 kit wouldn't hurt anything.

Hey, guys, I'm trying to build my Grandma a computer for about $400. My Grandma does not Game at all she may play solitaire occasionally but not any real games. All she does on her computer is Microsoft word, excel, office, outlook, and school files. Here is the parts list I've put together so far:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X2jLtJ  (feel free to critique and add suggestions.) The problem I have is the memory  I was just going to give her 4gb of ram since 8gb is really expensive. What are your thoughts is 4gb of ram sufficient for her workflow please let me know?

Seems good.

For memory, not an issue 4gb for browsing and solitaire etc...

I don't see your grandma opening 50 tabs anyway so... it will be fine. since you have a SSD, you can set higher virtual memory amount, like 8GB and even if the SSD is slow compared to memory, if she runs out of ram it wont be that bad dont wory about it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, coyotetracker said:

Hey, guys, I'm trying to build my Grandma a computer for about $400. My Grandma does not Game at all she may play solitaire occasionally but not any real games. All she does on her computer is Microsoft word, excel, office, outlook, and school files. Here is the parts list I've put together so far:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X2jLtJ  (feel free to critique and add suggestions.) The problem I have is the memory  I was just going to give her 4gb of ram since 8gb is really expensive. What are your thoughts is 4gb of ram sufficient for her workflow please let me know?

4GB probably should be, as long as she doesn't keep too many tabs open in Chrome.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Go Pentium and ditch the GPU, then you can do the 8GB Granny will need.

That makes sense tho...

Will probably benefits her better than the gt 730

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

4 minutes ago, coyotetracker said:

How much storage does she need? Are you sure that 256GB will be enough?

Kinda unreasonable for a grandma IMO

1) You don't need that massive ass case. 

2)You don't need a 450W power supply.

3) I wouldn't go Ryzen..get a Pentium.  This way you don't need a graphics card.

4) Get her 8gb of RAM in case she loves to keep tabs open.

@ Mr_Argon She going to use the 256GB for the programs she wants to boot up fast. She has a computer with an HDD already so I'm just going to transfer the mechanical drive she already has into the new system.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Go Pentium and ditch the GPU, then you can do the 8GB Granny will need.

This ^^^ 4GB of RAM is barely enough for Windows and a few programs, 8GB is what you need for standard web browsing, work, and light gaming. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, coyotetracker said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($47.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($72.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: HEC - Vigilance400 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/400W Power Supply  ($46.98 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Total: $272.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-15 17:40 EST-0500

Ryzen doesn't make sense here given the need for a GPU with it. A G4400 is more than enough. This build leaves room for more storage or a different case and a separate PSU. For what you've described, though, I think this is more than enough.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, lilbman said:

Kinda unreasonable for a grandma IMO

1) You don't need that massive ass case. 

2)You don't need a 450W power supply.

3) I wouldn't go Ryzen..get a Pentium.  This way you don't need a graphics card.

4) Get her 8gb of RAM in case she loves to keep tabs open.

That was one of the smallest cases I could find for Micro Atx if I go itx then that would put me way over the $400 budget because finding an itx board for ryzen is like 100+ dollars. The 450-watt PSU was a good deal for 23 bucks. But your probably right I should go Pentium I originally thought the 4c/4threads of the ryzen would helper in excel and outlook.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: HEC - Vigilance400 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/400W Power Supply  ($46.98 @ Newegg Marketplace) 

Ryzen doesn't make sense here given the need for a GPU with it. A G4400 is more than enough. This build leaves room for more storage or a different case and a separate PSU. For what you've described, though, I think this is more than enough.

Thanks a lot, I think that's the build I'm going to go with just one question. Shouldn't there be 2 sticks of four instead 1 stick of 8 you know for dual channel support?

Just now, coyotetracker said:

In the sort of build you're doing, it doesn't matter much imo. Since you have lots of room in the budget, a 2x4 kit wouldn't hurt anything.

If (Ry)zen based desktop APUs were out already, then I would point you in that direction, but no announcement or release so far.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Okay, thanks for your help. It helped me a lot.

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I wouldn't use a pre-included PSU from a case really ever (some of the antec cases have okay pre-included, that's about it). I know cougar (which is owned by HEC) doesn't use HEC PSUs in their preincluded PSUs in cases, because they are cheaper. So no, don't, HEC probably uses the same garbage that cougar uses for their cases.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I wouldn't use a pre-included PSU from a case really ever (some of the antec cases have okay pre-included, that's about it). I know cougar (which is owned by HEC) doesn't use HEC PSUs in their preincluded PSUs in cases, because they are cheaper. So no, don't, HEC probably uses the same garbage that cougar uses for their cases.

Which is why I specified that the option to use a different case with a different PSU exists.

My general feeling on bundled PSUs is this: if you're going to be running any kind of demanding gaming, editing or analysis rig, a bundled PSU is a terrible idea. If you just need a basic browsing/email rig that fires up Minecraft every now and then, the power demands will be so low that just about anything this side of a Logisys can handle it.

Side note: the EVGA 80+ white units that are all but ubiquitous in budget builds are made by HEC. I've used a boatload of those and never once had a problem. I do keep PSU brand in mind when looking at the possibility of using a case with a bundled PSU.

Just now, aisle9 said:

My general feeling on bundled PSUs is this: if you're going to be running any kind of demanding gaming, editing or analysis rig, a bundled PSU is a terrible idea. If you just need a basic browsing/email rig that fires up Minecraft every now and then, the power demands will be so low that just about anything this side of a Logisys can handle it.

No, a very bad PSU is never a good option.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Side note: the EVGA 80+ white units that are all but ubiquitous in budget builds are made by HEC. I've used a boatload of those and never once had a problem. I do keep PSU brand in mind when looking at the possibility of using a case with a bundled PSU.

The EVGA W series, yes they are HEC, and they are miles ahead of most pre-included PSUs. The PSU in the HEC case WILL NOT BE a HEC unit (as I said above), and will be very bad.

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No, a very bad PSU is never a good option.

The EVGA W series, yes they are HEC, and they are miles ahead of most pre-included PSUs. The PSU in the HEC case WILL NOT BE a HEC unit (as I said above), and will be very bad.

Meh, agree to disagree. If this were the Ryzen build, no way do I trust a bundled PSU, but this is a G4400 with no GPU. This system might not even crack 100W under normal use. I would never dissuade someone from using a better (within reason) PSU, but I've used bundled PSUs several times on ultra-cheap "browse and email" builds like this one and never had one go out on me. I'm picky about brands (no Logisys, for example), but I've been lucky enough thus far that if a build is on a shoestring budget, a case/PSU combo by someone like Rosewill, Cougar or HEC that I trust not to put absolute crap in there is a viable option.

9 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Meh, agree to disagree. If this were the Ryzen build, no way do I trust a bundled PSU, but this is a G4400 with no GPU. This system might not even crack 100W under normal use

No, wattage is not the problem. That PSU will fuck it up at any load. Lack of protection, (can result in fires if shit goes bad), or the ripple can just slowly kill your computer.

I would never dissuade someone from using a better (within reason) PSU, but I've used bundled PSUs several times on ultra-cheap "browse and email" builds like this one and never had one go out on me.

Not exploding does not mean good.

I'm picky about brands (no Logisys, for example), but I've been lucky enough thus far that if a build is on a shoestring budget, a case/PSU combo by someone like Rosewill, Cougar or HEC that I trust not to put absolute crap in there is a viable option.

The irony behind that. Did you listen. HEC doesn't use HEC models in their pre-included PSU in HEC cases. And logisys' PSU will be very similar, if not exactly the same that is in the cases that come with HEC or Rosewill pre-installed PSUs.

The ONLY brand that I have seen actually use usable PSUs in their cases was Antec. You are pretty safe with anything Antec for web browsing PCs.

(Excluding high end inwin cases with custom PSU form factors)