Workstation for C4D and AE

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a workstation for mainly C4D using Arnold and After effects, and in the future most likely Houdini and Nuke aswell as Octane and Redshift. I don't usually work on extremely heavy scenes since I'm in the motion graphics field, but I want viewports etc to run smoothly while working. Rendering is secondary, if need be I'll render on a farm, but some capability is nice of course.

In addition to that I want it to be as silent as possible.

What do you think about this setup? Any and all feedback is welcome!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7960X 2.8GHz 16-Core Processor  ($1689.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X299-DELUXE ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($474.42 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($233.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($233.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Gold 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($167.00 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($804.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($804.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($123.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($22.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($135.88 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter 
Total: $4891.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-16 22:34 EST-0500

Edited by Sprutt

@Sprutt

The Prime X299-Deluxe has more advanced onboard WiFi than the discrete adapter included in the OP list.

A psu is required. I would suggest one of SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 GoldEVGA SuperNOVA G3 850Corsair RM850xEVGA SuperNOVA P2 850, or SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 850.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks for your input!

After some further research with your reply in mind I have updated the system.

I have three follow-up questions:

- Do you mean that the Wifi adapter is not needed at all then?

- Are there any CPUs with 12 or more cores that have a significantly higher single core speeds when overclocked than the 7960x?

- I'm thinking of two GPUs to have one for displays etc and a second one for rendering. Is it a good idea to have one Quadro as primary and a 1080 TI a secondary? Or will two 1080 TI work as well or even better with C4D?

11 minutes ago, Sprutt said:

Thanks for your input!

After some further research with your reply in mind I have updated the system.

I have three follow-up questions:

- Do you mean that the Wifi adapter is not needed at all then?

- Are there any CPUs with 12 or more cores that have a significantly higher single core speeds when overclocked than the 7960x?

- I'm thinking of two GPUs to have one for displays etc and a second one for rendering. Is it a good idea to have one Quadro as primary and a 1080 TI a secondary? Or will two 1080 TI work as well or even better with C4D?

Yes, the motherboard has excellent WiFi so an add on adapter is not required.

I'm not aware of any Intel cpu with 12+ cores that has a higher stock max clock. Overclocking is a crap shoot, especially on chips with high core counts. You may get a chip with great oc potential or one with very little.

If you are going to run multiple gpu, using the same model would be preferable. Based on the software listed in the OP, GTX 1080 Ti should provide good performance across the group. GPU rendering engines like Octane do very well with multiple GTX gpu.

A higher capacity psu is required for the current build list in the OP.

Why two 500GB NVMe ssd instead of a 1TB unit?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.