Really bad FPS with my GTX 1080

Hey guys,

I have been getting real bad FPS with my GTX 1080. I have a custom build pc, these are my parts:
CPU: I5 7600K
MOB: Asus Z270H
RAM: 8 GB 2400mhz
GPU: GTX 1080 (From the brand KFA2)
PSU: Coolermaster 650 watt
SSD: WDblue 500GB

I am getting 45-60 fps average in battlefield 1 on 1920x1080, In ghost recond wildlands I'm getting about 35-50 fps average on high settings 1920x1080, in GTA V 35-60 fps on ultra 1920x1080. (Ofcourse I got this problem in other games but these are some examples)

Some people said my I5 7600K is bottlenecking my GTX 1080, I looked this up on thebottlenecker.com And the site said I got a 12% bottleneck.

I've been on other forums and these are the awnsers I get:
Buy a extra stick of 8GB's RAM, to dual channel (I ordered a stick already)
Clean install of windows (I did a reinstall but kept some files. I am going to do a full reinstall after my ram arrived)
Overclock you CPU (I don't know how to do this)
reinstall drivers (I did this multiple times via the NVIDIA panel)
check your CPU usage (My CPU is (according to task manager) always at 100% in ghost recon wildlands. I don't know how to see my GPU)

I really want to know if there's anything else that could cause this problem.
If you know something, or if you can help me out please don hesitate to message me!

Kind regards

PS, I also have made some pictures of my GPU usage and CPU usage while I am playing ARK: Survival evolved!

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

Just now, Barend said:

Hey guys,

I have been getting real bad FPS with my GTX 1080. I have a custom build pc, these are my parts:
CPU: I5 7600K
MOB: Asus Z270H
RAM: 8 GB 2400mhz
GPU: GTX 1080 (From the brand KFA2)
PSU: Coolermaster 650 watt
SSD: WDblue 500GB

I am getting 45-60 fps average in battlefield 1 on 1920x1080, In ghost recond wildlands I'm getting about 35-50 fps average on high settings 1920x1080, in GTA V 35-60 fps on ultra 1920x1080. (Ofcourse I got this problem in other games but these are some examples)

Some people said my I5 7600K is bottlenecking my GTX 1080, I looked this up on thebottlenecker.com And the site said I got a 12% bottleneck.

I've been on other forums and these are the awnsers I get:
Buy a extra stick of 8GB's RAM, to dual channel (I ordered a stick already)
Clean install of windows (I did a reinstall but kept some files. I am going to do a full reinstall after my ram arrived)
Overclock you CPU (I don't know how to do this)
reinstall drivers (I did this multiple times via the NVIDIA panel)
check your CPU usage (My CPU is (according to task manager) always at 100% in ghost recon wildlands. I don't know how to see my GPU)

I really want to know if there's anything else that could cause this problem.
If you know something, or if you can help me out please don hesitate to message me!

Kind regards

PS, I also have made some pictures of my GPU usage and CPU usage while I am playing ARK: Survival evolved!

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

What Driver are you on. Are you overclocking? 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

check ram usage, with 8gb of Ram windows will probably be compressing data in the background which might eat up your cpu resources. Check Cpu usage and Gpu usage durin g games

Just now, Killstreak said:

Just now, Killstreak said:

Driver: 388.13

3.png

My business partner has a 1080 with 8GB of ram. The 1080 doesn't run well with 8gb. 

Upgrade to 16gb ATLEAST asap. 

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

check ram usage, with 8gb of Ram windows will probably be compressing data in the background which might eat up your cpu resources. Check Cpu usage and Gpu usage durin g games

Check my photo's for GPU and CPU usage

I'll check my RAM usage

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

This^

And I'd call RAM as the main bottleneck, then the CPU (Battlefield 1 can use 8+ cores/threads IIRC, IDK about GRW). Or else use DSR to run it at 4K or 1440p to take the load off your CPU, because the 1080 will easily outrun it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, fatass said:

My business partner has a 1080 with 8GB of ram. The 1080 doesn't run well with 8gb. 

Upgrade to 16gb ATLEAST asap. 

Alright, If I am right it will finally arrive next monday

The only real obvious limiting factor in the specs you posted is 100% your ram. Actual speed doesn't matter too much above ~2400 like you have, but not having dual channel is likely going to cause low fps spikes, especially with only 8GB total capacity.

As for consistently low fps, with your gpu looking like it's got 100% load (at least according to the small snippet of graph you posted), I'm really not sure. Unless you have really old drivers in use or something is running in the background eating gpu resources (like a miner or game capture), you should have a great 1080p experience with that machine.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

This^

And I'd call RAM as the main bottleneck, then the CPU (Battlefield 1 can use 8+ cores/threads IIRC, IDK about GRW). Or else use DSR to run it at 4K or 1440p to take the load off your CPU, because the 1080 will easily outrun it. 

Alright, But I am wondering why my GPU is at 100% in ARK and my processor not...?

1 minute ago, Barend said:

Alright, But I am wondering why my GPU is at 100% in ARK and my processor not...?

Hmm... AFAIK ARK is not very well optimized, perhaps it's GP heavy and doesn't take advantage of the CPU power you have?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

The only real obvious limiting factor in the specs you posted is 100% your ram. Actual speed doesn't matter too much above ~2400 like you have, but not having dual channel is likely going to cause low fps spikes.

As for consistently low fps, with your gpu looking like it's got 100% load (at least according to the small snippet of graph you posted), I'm really not sure. Unless you have really old drivers in use or something is running in the background eating gpu resources (like a miner or game capture), you should have a great 1080p experience with that machine.

It stay's between 90 and 100 % usage IN ARK, And I believe I don't have any GPU resources eating programs on.

Yeah, I'd suggest adding another stick of RAM.

Not only do you get extra headroom, but you'll get extra bandwidth due to dual-channel memory.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

This^

What is DSR if I may ask?

1 minute ago, Barend said:

I'm not sure I completely trust that 100% figure since it's apparently doing that with only a ~60% power load. Try increasing your resolution with DSR like @Zando Bob suggested, and see if your frames stay the same. I expect they probably will.

That 100% figure might be taking into account the amount of time the gpu spends shuffling data into and out of it's framebuffer. Pairing an 8gb vram card with 8gb system ram is going to cause a lot of problems.

Just now, Barend said:

What is DSR if I may ask?

DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is NVidia's term for "supersampling". Basically, rendering the game internally at say, 1440p or 4k, before downsizing the image to be output at 1080p for your monitor.

It's a good way to get extra clarity in some games, since it basically acts like a brute-force form of antialiasing with atrocious performance, but better potential quality, than traditional antialiasing techniques. It's very useful if you have gpu power to spare.

Just now, Tabs said:

DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is NVidia's term for "supersampling". Basically, rendering the game internally at say, 1440p or 4k, before downsizing the image to be output at 1080p for your monitor.

It's a good way to get extra clarity in some games, since it basically acts like a brute-force form of antialiasing with atrocious performance, but better potential quality, than traditional antialiasing techniques. It's very useful if you have gpu power to spare.

Where could I activate this... or apply this setting?

Just now, Barend said:

Where could I activate this... or apply this setting?

It's a setting within Geforce Experience. After it's enabled, you'll be able to select resolutions in your games that are higher than your monitors resolution, and it should work automatically when you do. You can also use NVidia Inspector to manage this setting once enabled.

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

It's a setting within Geforce Experience. After it's enabled, you'll be able to select resolutions in your games that are higher than your monitors resolution, and it should work automatically when you do. You can also use NVidia Inspector to manage this setting once enabled.

I am bit of a noob with this computer stuff so yeah....I can't find the setting, What I can find is: enable dsr factors. Within the Nvidia Control panel

Just now, Barend said:

I am bit of a noob with this computer stuff so yeah....I can't find the setting, What I can find is: enable dsr factors. Within the Nvidia Control panel

That will enable it also. The "factors" are the extra multiples of resolution that your card will show as resolutions for games to use. 2.0 for 1080p would be 4k, for example. I wouldn't recommend enabling factors above 2.0, if it shows them.

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Damn how how to waste your GPU on that nVIDIA FPS eater. I'd prefer turning on some AA rather than supersampling. As for the question, on such a good hardware I'd went for 16GB RAM 3200Mhz. Check Digital Foundry where sometimes RAM speed can heavily impact FPS. Dual Channel however is a must nowadays! Add another stick of RAM as soon as possible.

3 minutes ago, Brian Furious said:

Damn how how to waste your GPU on that nVIDIA FPS eater. I'd prefer turning on some AA rather than supersampling. As for the question, on such a good hardware I'd went for 16GB RAM 3200Mhz. Check Digital Foundry where sometimes RAM speed can heavily impact FPS. Dual Channel however is a must nowadays! Add another stick of RAM as soon as possible.

Well, the point is to eat the GPU. Because at 1080p, a 1080 can spit out hundreds of frames per second ezpz, and apparently the i5 can't keep up. Thus, increasing the resolution through DSR will put more stress on the GPU, removing stress from the CPU. So the end result is not to make it look any better (though it probs will), but to try and remove/alleviate the bottleneck. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Brian Furious said:

I agree, personally. But if his games are already running close to max settings, there isn't much else to use that will improve quality. In this situation, it's more of a troubleshooting step for @Barend than a bit of advice on how to run his games. 

It does confuse me how low his cards power draw apparently is when running at full load. It's almost as if the gpu is locked waiting for data, but I would have thought that MSI Afterburner would show that as lower gpu usage. 

Try downgrade to 388.00 with DDU, some reported performance issue with 388.13.

Or download 388.31 which is fresh from the oven. :D  http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/126903/en-us

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 15/11/2017 at 5:00 PM, Zando Bob said:

Well, the point is to eat the GPU. Because at 1080p, a 1080 can spit out hundreds of frames per second ezpz, and apparently the i5 can't keep up. Thus, increasing the resolution through DSR will put more stress on the GPU, removing stress from the CPU. So the end result is not to make it look any better (though it probs will), but to try and remove/alleviate the bottleneck. 

That's true but pumping the GPU to decrease FPS so you can put less stress on the CPU is also less bad. More power consumption and heat. You just lock the FPS: less heat, less power consumption, stable FPS