Are SD cards susceptible to corruption in long term storage or a good viable option in my case?

Greetings Everyone.

I want to store some vital information in a small form factor that is easily concealable. The data I want to preserve are excel sheets of confidential records throughout decades. It is about 60 GBs in size. I wanted advice on how to store it in one place. I cannot let it's size be large and noticeable.

An SD card was first option because of the size and the price isn't that high. I don't need high read/write speeds and CDs with such capacity aren't available here.

The problem is that I don't know if data can be kept for long duration on flash type storage and if there are high chances of the card getting corrupt.

Thanking you in anticipation.

When I was researching it a few years back I found that flash storage is not a viable long term storage option. I don't have specifics as to why but USB thumb drives and SD cards were not recommended at the time.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

When I was researching it a few years back I found that flash storage is not a viable long term storage option. I don't have specifics as to why but USB thumb drives and SD cards were not recommended at the time.

I see. I was afraid of that. What would you recommend?

5 minutes ago, Syed Mustafa Ahmed said:

I think magnetic tape and HDDs are the way most people go.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Just now, TurbulentWinds said:

Mangets?? They harm hdds

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

3 minutes ago, Syed Mustafa Ahmed said:

What you can do is get multiple USB drives or SD cards and rotate them out every 12 months or so with new storage devices just to be safe. Otherwise I would look at off-site backup options like Backblaze, Dropbox, Amazon Glacier, Google Drive, Amazon Drive, or something similar (I personally use BackBlaze, Google Drive, and Amazon Drive).

-KuJoe

Just now, Vandorlot said:

Mangets?? They harm hdds

Magnetic tape. That's a type of long term storage device.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Magnetic tape. That's a type of long term storage device.

Yeah, excellent for 15+ years but costly. :(

-KuJoe

I have a spare HDD but that is too large for me and magnetic tape isn't an option because I don't have anything to write on the tape with.

Honestly HDD would be the best option but I've already considered that.

Just now, Syed Mustafa Ahmed said:

I have a spare HDD but that is too large for me and magnetic tape isn't an option because I don't have anything to write on the tape with.

Honestly HDD would be the best option but I've already considered that.

Perhaps a 2.5 inch drive?

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

What you can do is get multiple USB drives or SD cards and rotate them out every 12 months or so with new storage devices just to be safe. Otherwise I would look at off-site backup options like Backblaze, Dropbox, Amazon Glacier, Google Drive, Amazon Drive, or something similar (I personally use BackBlaze, Google Drive, and Amazon Drive).

I've though of cloud but I already have it on cloud. I would like to have it physically with me. It's one use case is for emergencies.

If your running a NAS with mechanical spinning hard drives, they are more vulnerable to failure due to the wear and tear of the moving parts. Since its flash based storage, the vulnerability to a failure is very minimal as there are no mechanical parts. You could also consider cloud based storage services where everything is stored on the cloud+ you have to pay the vendor so much per year depending upon how much storage you opt for.

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

If your running a NAS with mechanical spinning hard drives, they are more vulnerable to failure due to the wear and tear of the moving parts. Since its flash based storage, the vulnerability to a failure is very minimal as there are no mechanical parts. You could also consider cloud based storage services where everything is stored on the cloud+ you have to pay the vendor so much per year depending upon how much storage you opt for.

I see. Flash seemed more safe to me because of the same reason.

I already have it on cloud but would like to have it with be physically in emergencies that's why I chose the SD card route.

Although I wasn't sure if it was that safe/secure.

Old flash devices can simply lose their ability to retain a charge, and thereby lose information. It takes a long time, and is often predictable, but it will happen even if it just sits alone on a sheld. However, a magnetic drive (like an hdd or tape drive) will not lose the info for theoretically centuries as long as it isn't exposed to a large magnetic or kinetic force that might harm the disk/tape inside. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, Syed Mustafa Ahmed said:

I see. Flash seemed more safe to me because of the same reason.

I already have it on cloud but would like to have it with be physically in emergencies that's why I chose the SD card route.

Although I wasn't sure if it was that safe/secure.

Flash storage comes in a variety of storage capacities as well, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, the biggest capacity is 480GB when it comes to a SD card form factor (Sandisk have these I think).

2 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Old flash devices can simply lose their ability to retain a charge, and thereby lose information. It takes a long time, and is often predictable, but it will happen even if it just sits alone on a sheld. However, a magnetic drive (like an hdd or tape drive) will not lose the info for theoretically centuries as long as it isn't exposed to a large magnetic or kinetic force that might harm the disk/tape inside. 

That's the reason I wasn't that sure.

I could use magnetic tape but currently I do not have anything to write the data on the tape.

Question: Will continuous use of the SD card keep the data from deteriorating?

4 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Flash storage comes in a variety of storage capacities as well, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, the biggest capacity is 480GB when it comes to a SD card form factor (Sandisk have these I think).

Yes, and as my data is about 60 GB this seems like a good option but to be on the safe side and to future proof, I'll go with 128 GB one just in case.

I would use an HDD to store back-up stuff on. And then just unplug it when you are not writing/reading stuff to it. It would last a LONG time.

I would also consider using a DVD/cd-rom to store back-ups on. Just store them propperly.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

I would use an HDD to store back-up stuff on. And then just unplug it when you are not writing/reading stuff to it. It would last a LONG time.

I would also consider using a DVD/cd-rom to store back-ups on. Just store them propperly.

Thankyou for the input sir.

Yes, and as my data is about 60 GB this seems like a good option but to be on the safe side and to future proof, I'll go with 128 GB one just in case.

Always good to get a bigger capacity drive so you can add more data for backup in the future.

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

Always good to get a bigger capacity drive so you can add more data for backup in the future.

Bigger is always better.

download.png

Thankyou for the input sir.

Another piece of input: my oldest HDD still in operation, is an 7+ year old Samsung HDD. And it's been running 24/7 for 7+ years. And the health shows 97%, which is actually really good for it's age.

*PS: I always keep my pc on, and I have turned off all power savings. So the disk should not have to spin up/down alot, keeping temps the same which is a big +.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Another piece of input: my oldest HDD still in operation, is an 7+ year old Samsung HDD. And it's been running 24/7 for 7+ years. And the health shows 97%, which is actually really good for it's age.

*PS: I always keep my pc on, and I have turned off all power savings. So the disk should not have to spin up/down alot, keeping temps the same which is a big +.

I can see why they are so reliable. I happen to have a leftover 120GB HDD on my hand. I think I'll use that instead of the SD card route as the card may have problems in the future.

Thankyou for the advice.

SD cards are some of the least reliable storage available. They are good enough for temporary storage in things like cameras and phones, but they are not designed to hold mission critical data, let alone for long periods of time.

2 minutes ago, Syed Mustafa Ahmed said:

Question: Will continuous use of the SD card keep the data from deteriorating?

No, precisely the opposite. The more you stress it, the sooner it will fail. Continuous writes in particular are very harmful for SD cards.

Blue rays can go up to 100GB in size if I'm not mistaken, and are very durable compared to most storage as well as comparatively cheap. The obvious downside is that once the data is written, it cannot be modified on the same disc - any change will require a new disc to be saved. It is also larger than a thumbdrive or sd card, but you could still hide one in a large pocket or strap it to your body if necessary (in a protective case of course).

Another option is to simply make a LOT of copies on separate thumbdrives and regularly add new ones. This is obviously more costly, but it would allow you to just use thumbdrives when you need to carry it with you. In case of failure, the chances of all your copies being corrupted is very low.

You could also use a cloud storage service, as long as you trust the company providing it; that would eliminate reliability and concealability concerns. It would also allow you to access the data from anywhere, as long as you have access to an internet connection.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I can see why they are so reliable. I happen to have a leftover 120GB HDD on my hand. I think I'll use that instead of the SD card route as the card may have problems in the future.

Thankyou for the advice.

HDDs are extremely susceptible to weather and impact. One fall could (literally) pulverize your data. Furthermore, while there are cases of HDDs lasting a long time, statistically they are far from immune to failure. Even though most of the time they fail mechanically and the data is recoverable, it's not a good experience. There is a reason most storage servers use some sort of raid and are configured with an off site backup - HDDs offer cheap mass storage, but their reliability is not to be completely depended upon. External and old drives are typically even worse.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*