GeForce GTX 1070 setup - Worth it?

So for a while now, I've settled down a bit, well... I say "a bit", as there's still some things bothering me in my computer setup.

I currently have a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero 8GB OC in my system, and I wondered if using it in a SLI setup with a

matching graphics card was worth it? May sound a bit rubbish and make someone wonder "Why not 1080 SLI setup?"

Sure, that could work. However, I'd then need to buy 2 GTX 1080's for SLI, while for the GTX 1070 SLI, I only need to

buy one graphics card as I already have one, thus saving some bucks. Besides, if I ran 2 GTX 1080's, what would I

then do with the GTX 1070? Pretty sure mining is useless...

However, since graphics cards do costs a fair amount, I wonder if it's any worth it however. At the same time, I wonder

what you guys in this community think as well?

By the way, I am a little concerned about the heat these two cards may produce. It's a "closed" graphics card, so the

heat gets taken in and pushed out at the rear of the case. Pretty sure that'll turn Nvidia GeForce into Nvidia GrillForce.

"The way it's meant to be played." More like "The way it's meant to be roasted." ^^;

Anyways. Thoughts?

Nyaaah~! UwU

Except for some eccentric people, I don't see a point to use SLI nowadays. Most games don't use it correctly, which makes your SLI unusable, my suggestion for you is to sell your GTX 1070 and buy a 1080 or 1080 ti.

4 minutes ago, Crinklekitty said:

So for a while now, I've settled down a bit, well... I say "a bit", as there's still some things bothering me in my computer setup.

I currently have a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero 8GB OC in my system, and I wondered if using it in a SLI setup with a

matching graphics card was worth it? May sound a bit rubbish and make someone wonder "Why not 1080 SLI setup?"

Sure, that could work. However, I'd then need to buy 2 GTX 1080's for SLI, while for the GTX 1070 SLI, I only need to

buy one graphics card as I already have one, thus saving some bucks. Besides, if I ran 2 GTX 1080's, what would I

then do with the GTX 1070? Pretty sure mining is useless...

However, since graphics cards do costs a fair amount, I wonder if it's any worth it however. At the same time, I wonder

what you guys in this community think as well?

By the way, I am a little concerned about the heat these two cards may produce. It's a "closed" graphics card, so the

heat gets taken in and pushed out at the rear of the case. Pretty sure that'll turn Nvidia GeForce into Nvidia GrillForce.

"The way it's meant to be played." More like "The way it's meant to be roasted." ^^;

Anyways. Thoughts?

I've had both 1070 and 1080 SLI (with a high bandwidth bridge) and I can tell you that NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it is totally not worth it at all.

If you want more performance, sell your current 1070 and take the money from that and buy a 1080Ti. The 1080Ti has the same or better performance as 1070 SLI, except it works in 100% of games, has much better frame times, way less power usage, and it's a top of the line card.

1 minute ago, itsthewizz said:

The 1080Ti has the same or better performance as 1070 SLI, a much better frame times, way less power usage, and it's a top of the line card.

That.

5 minutes ago, itsthewizz said:

I've had both 1070 and 1080 SLI (with a high bandwidth bridge) and I can tell you that NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it is totally not worth it at all.

If you want more performance, sell your current 1070 and take the money from that and buy a 1080Ti. The 1080Ti has the same or better performance as 1070 SLI, except it works in 100% of games, has much better frame times, way less power usage, and it's a top of the line card.

Quick question then...

How would you suggest selling a 1 and a half year GTX 1070 on a island? I know you can do it online, but that sounds a bit like a hassle. By the way, isn't a GTX 1080Ti little overkill or something? ^^;

Also, not easy for me to find graphics card that has a "closed" form where the air comes in at the bottom, and out to the back. Saw a video of "open" cards that blow directly onto the graphics card can damage other components due to heat spreading. It's enough I paid almost 700 bucks for the CPU, about 300 for the motherboard, and 200 for the RAM. >.<

I know the one from Nvidia might be possible, but I don't wanna burnm my pocket entirely by going with a very expensive one.

Nyaaah~! UwU

3 minutes ago, Crinklekitty said:

Quick question then...

How would you suggest selling a 1 and a half year GTX 1070 on a island? I know you can do it online, but that sounds a bit like a hassle. By the way, isn't a GTX 1080Ti little overkill or something? ^^;

Also, not easy for me to find graphics card that has a "closed" form where the air comes in at the bottom, and out to the back. Saw a video of "open" cards that blow directly onto the graphics card can damage other components due to heat spreading. It's enough I paid almost 700 bucks for the CPU, about 300 for the motherboard, and 200 for the RAM. >.<

I know the one from Nvidia might be possible, but I don't wanna burnm my pocket entirely by going with a very expensive one.

Sell it through Ebay.

Also, you're looking for a closed air GPU? Are you using a small case or something? Because if it's a mid-tower or full-tower case with decent airflow you don't need to worry about heat.

Final thought, how can the 1080Ti be overkill if you're looking to get 1070 SLi? 

17 minutes ago, itsthewizz said:

Sell it through Ebay.

Also, you're looking for a closed air GPU? Are you using a small case or something? Because if it's a mid-tower or full-tower case with decent airflow you don't need to worry about heat.

Final thought, how can the 1080Ti be overkill if you're looking to get 1070 SLi? 

It's not the case size that is the reason I want a closed air graphics card, it's because I don't want to damage the other components when it heats up. My fan controller reads 50 degrees celcius when the graphics card is working on hard games, and that's with a closed air one. The temperature sensor is right bellow the PCIe lane by the way... Either way, won't be so pretty if more heat spreads onto the motherboard. May not be critical, but I get easily concerned.

By the way, for what reason do you recommend me eBay? A lot of stuff there is being sold way bellow the purchase price. Way lower it's worth, even if used.

Edit: I thought of GTX 1070 SLI because I found buying just another GTX 1070 for SLI would be cheaper than buying something that's really expensive.

Nyaaah~! UwU

7 minutes ago, Crinklekitty said:

It's not the case size that is the reason I want a closed air graphics card, it's because I don't want to damage the other components when it heats up. My fan controller reads 50 degrees celcius when the graphics card is working on hard games, and that's with a closed air one. The temperature sensor is right bellow the PCIe lane by the way... Either way, won't be so pretty if more heat spreads onto the motherboard. May not be critical, but I get easily concerned.

By the way, for what reason do you recommend me eBay? A lot of stuff there is being sold way bellow the purchase price. Way lower it's worth, even if used.

Edit: I thought of GTX 1070 SLI because I found buying just another GTX 1070 for SLI would be cheaper than buying something that's really expensive.

The heat emitted from your GPU will not damage your components. Computer parts can easily withstand 90C

Your 1070 is used, noone will buy it for full price.

43 minutes ago, Crinklekitty said:

Pretty sure mining is useless...

Do some research on ZCash, Assuming low/no cost electricity, you can still net roughly $80 US/month with GPU mining, as ZCash still uses memory-hardened algorithms, which means FPGAs and ASICs are still beat by GPUs.

The heat emitted from your GPU will not damage your components. Computer parts can easily withstand 90C

Your 1070 is used, noone will buy it for full price.

I am aware that I won't get full price for it because it's used, but my point was this:

A lot of the stuff I see being sold on eBay, especially on tech stuff, is often being

sold for way less than it's worth, even if used.

Nyaaah~! UwU

Just now, Crinklekitty said:

I am aware that I won't get full price for it because it's used, but my point was this:

A lot of the stuff I see being sold on eBay, especially on tech stuff, is often being

sold for way less than it's worth, even if used.

I sold a GTX 1080 for $499 USD and it sold the day I listed it.

1 minute ago, NominalNumenorian said:

Do some research on ZCash, Assuming low/no cost electricity, you can still net roughly $80 US/month with GPU mining, as ZCash still uses memory-hardened algorithms, which means FPGAs and ASICs are still beat by GPUs.

I've got a old computer under my desk not being used, will that one be able

to be used for mining? Since the CPU is kinda shit, and the motherboard,

well... not much, really. And only got 4gb DDR3 1866MHz RAM for it.

Nyaaah~! UwU

3 minutes ago, itsthewizz said:

I sold a GTX 1080 for $499 USD and it sold the day I listed it.

So... I may be able to sell mine for 400 to 450 bucks then? Only served me 1 and a quarter of a year.

Nyaaah~! UwU

8 minutes ago, Crinklekitty said:

So... I may be able to sell mine for 400 to 450 bucks then? Only served me 1 and a quarter of a year.

Yeah, good chance you could sell it for almost full price. Make sure to mention that you've only had it for a month or two.

Just now, itsthewizz said:

Yeah, good chance you could sell it for almost full price. Make sure to mention that you've only had it for a month or two.

Uhh, why mention I've only had it for a month or two when I've had it for roughly over a year? Sounds a bit... "fake", and kinda wanna be honest with things.

Nyaaah~! UwU

Uhh, why mention I've only had it for a month or two when I've had it for roughly over a year? Sounds a bit... "fake", and kinda wanna be honest with things.

Oh, I thought you said you only had it for a quarter year, my bad.

Just now, itsthewizz said:

Oh, I thought you said you only had it for a quarter year, my bad.

I said 1 and quarter of a year. Making it 15-ish months. ^^;

Nyaaah~! UwU

A single 1080 Ti is faster than 2way SLI 1070 even when it scales and works correctly.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Crinklekitty said:

I said 1 and quarter of a year. Making it 15-ish months. ^^;

Yeah, my bad. I read your statement too fast lol. Playing Destiny 2 at the same time that I'm replying.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

A single 1080 Ti is faster than 2way SLI 1070 even when it scales and works correctly.

It's just the price that concerns me to be honest.

Nyaaah~! UwU

Yeah, my bad. I read your statement too fast lol. Playing Destiny 2 at the same time that I'm replying.

I'll consider it.

Nyaaah~! UwU

It's just the price that concerns me to be honest.

Performance isn't cheap my friend, I see you have a x299 board, to make things worse a MSi one... you know that SLI support did not exist for this chipset at launch and I am not even sure if it is fixed already regardless you're likely to have to update your BIOS hoping it won't break any thing and all just to get started.

You may also need to get a better PSU wattage wise, it is a good quality one but 550w for x299 i7, 2 1070 and hard drives... nah it won't be enough, have you even considered these costs?

Selling the 1070 and getting the 1080 Ti still sounds more compelling.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Performance isn't cheap my friend, I see you have a x299 board, to make things worse a MSi one... you know that SLI support did not exist for this chipset at launch and I am not even sure if it is fixed already regardless you're likely to have to update your BIOS hoping it won't break any thing and all just to get started.

You may also need to get a better PSU wattage wise, it is a good quality one but 550w for x299 i7, 2 1070 and hard drives... nah it won't be enough, have you even considered these costs?

Selling the 1070 and getting the 1080 Ti still sounds more compelling.

I normally don't go for top-end stuff on the market, as I simply don't have the money for it. Kind of on a budget. Though, I kind of didn't like the looks of other X299 motherboards... when the LED lights are too bright, it's disturbing... and my room is pretty much always dark with the case right next to me. At the moment, the fans is the most brightest things in my case, and I've got 6 of 'em.

The reason I currently have a 550 Watt PSU, is because the previous one wasn't modular, while the one I have now is. It became too cramped behind the motherboard with cables that weren't even in use. I plan in upgrading to a 750 Watt PSU when I've got the money, but I won't for a few months, because the monitor I bought kind of ripped me clean from money... and then suddenly I'm at minus 535 bucks on my bank account, so I had to fix that too.

Nyaaah~! UwU

I mean if money is such an issue why not the Ryzen 7 1700?

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I mean if money is such an issue why not the Ryzen 7 1700?

Buying a new CPU and a motherboard while I already have a high-end CPU and a X299 motherboard would just be silly... besides, not familiar with AMD.

Nyaaah~! UwU