Motherboard and PSU Compatibility

Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
Just now, ThreatZone said:

Firstly thanks for the verifying of my compatibility but  I am very worried on this two parts because this is the first time for me of compiling computer parts together and I am really oblivious to the fact where to check the wire compatibility...  Is there a way to assure it for me?

The easiest way would be to look at the specifications for the motherboard. I had a look at the official asus site for that board - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/specifications/ - and it shows under "Internal IO" that it has a 1x24pin EATX power connector and a 1x8pin ATX 12v power connector.

The "8pin" connector" is usually available on the power supply as 2x 4-pin connectors that simply fit in side by side to fill the 8-pin port. 

The 24-pin connector is something that any modern psu absolutely 100% will have. It only becomes a question if you buy or use an old psu, which isn't recommended in most situations.

I am trying to build a computer from scratch, I would like to learn if possible , what is the best way to identify if the PSU is compatibility with the motherboard or vice versa. 

This are my computer parts that i picked: 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2
Core: I7-7700
Ram: Corsair 8GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz x2 OR Kingston 8GB HyperX:108 x2 Each
GPU: GTX 1080
Hard Drive: WD 1TB Blue
Casing: Cooler Master CM590.

Please recommend me another motherboard or PSU if there might be a better option

Basically you only need to confirm that the wattage covers both the cpu and gpu wattages, plus around 40% minimum (in my opinion). The 7700 is 65w (the 7700k is 91w), and a 1080 (founders edition/general) is 180w.

With that, so long as your psu is at least ~350W for the 7700 or ~400W for the 7700K, and has the correct connectors to support your gpu and however many 4-pin EPS12v cables your motherboard needs, you'll be fine.

(Obviously you'll need to make sure the psu also comes with however many molex/sata power leads you need for your drives, but I'm guessing you knew that).

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

4-pin EPS12v cables your motherboard needs, you'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

(Obviously you'll need to make sure the psu also comes with however many molex/sata power leads you need for your drives, but I'm guessing you knew that).

Firstly thanks for the verifying of my compatibility but  I am very worried on this two parts because this is the first time for me of compiling computer parts together and I am really oblivious to the fact where to check the wire compatibility...  Is there a way to assure it for me?

The easiest way would be to look at the specifications for the motherboard. I had a look at the official asus site for that board - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/specifications/ - and it shows under "Internal IO" that it has a 1x24pin EATX power connector and a 1x8pin ATX 12v power connector.

The "8pin" connector" is usually available on the power supply as 2x 4-pin connectors that simply fit in side by side to fill the 8-pin port. 

The 24-pin connector is something that any modern psu absolutely 100% will have. It only becomes a question if you buy or use an old psu, which isn't recommended in most situations.

No problem at all.  Pretty much just match the psu specs to the motherboard specs and you're all set.

Good luck on your first build!

1 hour ago, ThreatZone said:

I am trying to build a computer from scratch, I would like to learn if possible , what is the best way to identify if the PSU is compatibility with the motherboard or vice versa. 

This are my computer parts that i picked: 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2
Core: I7-7700
Ram: Corsair 8GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz x2 OR Kingston 8GB HyperX:108 x2 Each
GPU: GTX 1080
Hard Drive: WD 1TB Blue
Casing: Cooler Master CM590.

Please recommend me another motherboard or PSU if there might be a better option

PCPartPicker.com is an excellent tool for this. As one enters a build the tool totals max power requirements and presents one with lists of compatible parts. The tool is also aware of the power input requirements of motherboards.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks! that website is really nifty.

What is your pointers for a gaming computer with the parts above but not for OC or is it recommended to get a motherboard for OC?

1 minute ago, ThreatZone said:

What is your pointers for a gaming computer with the parts above but not for OC or is it recommended to get a motherboard for OC?

Consider a B250 or H270 chipset motherboard. I have a preference for Asus models, but Gigabyte, ASRock, and MSI all have good offerings.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

Consider a B250 or H270 chipset motherboard. I have a preference for Asus models, but Gigabyte, ASRock, and MSI all have good offerings.

ASUS STRIX H270F GAMING

ASUS PRIME H270-PRO

ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS/CSM

ASUS STRIX B250F GAMING

ASUS PRIME B250-PLUS

The list above is all the types of them. which would you pick? gaming edition or nope?

1 hour ago, ThreatZone said:

ASUS STRIX H270F GAMING

ASUS PRIME H270-PRO

ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS/CSM

ASUS STRIX B250F GAMING

ASUS PRIME B250-PLUS

The list above is all the types of them. which would you pick? gaming edition or nope?

The choice really comes down to how much one wants to spend. The Strix motherboards are slightly better, but they are within ~US$10 of the Z270 TUF Mark 2 which is also a good motherboard.

Do i need a really good cpu fan ? or any small form will do?

Boxed i7-7700 typically come with a stock cooler. It will do a decent job. If one is sensitive to noise or in an relatively high ambient temperature environment, an inexpensive cpu cooler like the Cryorig H7 is a good addition.