Is 1070 16x16 SLI worth it?

BliitzTheFox

Right now I am running two Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Graphics cards in SLI with a high bandwidth bridge on the X99 platform with an I7-5820k which means it is currently running in 16x8. Recently the price of x99 processors has decreased dramatically meaning you can find an I7-6850k for less than $350 with 40 pcie lanes. So the question comes down to is it worth upgrading to a I7-6850k from an I7-5820k or should i just wait a few more years until i intend to upgrade the whole system (probably around Tiger Lake). I also have a problem right now where i have an Nvme ssd running at x2 lanes (which i suspect from benchmarks http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5730787 but might be something else) which would certainly benefit from more lanes. But is a $350 expense really worth it? or am i better off just living with less lanes until next upgrade? I could probably sell the 5820k to make up for some of that too.

You determine worth it to you. If you really really need the 4GB/s read speed on the NVMe drive instead of 2GB/s and are willing to spend the $350 for it then sure, but having an extra 8 lanes on one of the GPUs will surely not make any difference in performance

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

Just now, Tundral said:

You determine worth it to you. If you really really need the 4GB/s read speed on the NVMe drive instead of 2GB/s and are willing to spend the $350 for it then sure, but having an extra 8 lanes on one of the GPUs will surely not make any difference in performance

Probably not worth it then, that ssd is fast enough for me already.

Your current seems fine I wouldn't spend the 350 unless you can get like 250 for the CPU I wouldn't do it. Also you have to think is it worth of extra speed.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

x8 x8 makes no difference in FPS.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: