Huge amount of RAM used on idle ?

Hello!

So I have a problem since last week, and it's quite strange.

My system is currently using over 80% of RAM on idle, and when you look at the task manager, you can clearly see that the ~6.5Gb of RAM is totaly false, it uses MAX 1.5GB of ram, maybe more, but no, the processes uses over 80% of ram, which makes no sense, and to top it of, it makes the complet system laggy as hell!

Anyone can help ?

BTW, I did a fresh install of W8 2weeks ago, I seriously don't want to reinstal it...

Note: I use the integrated graphics of my 4670k, maybe this is the problem ?

I already did a AntiVirus test, malware test and Spybot thing test, it helped... yesterday. Today, the problem is back as it was 2 days ago.

(Using a 64bit OS unlike what the processes are indicating)

EDIT as of Tuesday 10th: I'm experiencing something quite strange ATM (btw the problem I asked help for is now gone, it was the antivirus), not sure what it is, but when I boot into Windows and everything is loaded, the PC is at 16% of use MAX, and after 3hours of use, it's at 55% (with the exact same programs as if I just booted the PC) or more and whatever I close, it doesn't help, nor does it go down, and I have to reboot the system to have a normal 16% of RAM use, WTF ?

post-9910-0-36033300-1386519592.jpg

post-9910-0-15619100-1386519609.jpg

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Hello!

My system is currently using over 80% of RAM on idle, and when you look at the task manager, you can clearly see that the ~6.5Gb of RAM is totaly false, it uses MAX 1.5GB of ram, maybe more, but no, the processes uses over 80% of ram, which makes no sense, and to top it of, it makes the complet system laggy as hell!

Anyone can help ?

BTW, I did a fresh install of W8 2weeks ago, I seriously don't want to reinstal it...

I already did a AntiVirus test, malware test and Spybot thing test, it helped... yesterday. Today, the problem is back as it was 2 days ago.

attachicon.gifOne.jpg

attachicon.gifOneTwo.jpg

Off topic a bit but you should switch to avast!

yes and disable some thing!

Hello!

Anyone can help ?

attachicon.gifOne.jpg

attachicon.gifOneTwo.jpg

Simple question, does it "FEEL" sluggish like it's running low on Memory? Odds are, the ~5GB that is unaccounted for is being used up by cached memory or something.

As a test, what happens if you open up something that will use a large amount of memory? (Example: Opening dozens of photos in Photoshop, or starting a game, etc).

Are you having any symptoms aside from what task manager shows you?

Oh, and I noticed that you're using onboard graphics for your 4670k. Yes, that will account for some of the usage. It'll be using at least 1GB as video RAM. You'll have to check your settings (Possibly in BIOS? Dunno if the intel drivers will allow you to adjust) to see what your video ram reserve limit is.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Winamp. LOL.

I assume you've tried restarting, running a virus scan, uninstalling old programs, etc..?

If none of that works, you can always try taking out your ram and blowing on it like an old Nintendo cartridge.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mcaffee used to use 5gb of my ram, it was weird as i had just upgraded to 8gb ram, before that with 4gb ram it used 200mb. Im not sure but it could be your antivirus.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Simple question, does it "FEEL" sluggish like it's running low on Memory? Odds are, the ~5GB that is unaccounted for is being used up by cached memory or something.

As a test, what happens if you open up something that will use a large amount of memory? (Example: Opening dozens of photos in Photoshop, or starting a game, etc).

Oh, and I noticed that you're using onboard graphics for your 4670k. Yes, that will account for some of the usage. It'll be using at least 1GB as video RAM. You'll have to check your settings (Possibly in BIOS? Dunno if the intel drivers will allow you to adjust) to see what your video ram reserve limit is.

i agree.

Yes, the entire system feels very slow, all the time, not only while I play games and such, but also while just browsing files, when on the internet, stuff like that, usual stuff that shouldn't use that much RAM.

Yes I've read online that the onboard graphics will use some RAM, like maybe 1gb like you said, which is normal, but using that amount of RAM ? Can it be ? Not quite sure about that, BTW, the BIOS is up to date, I'll be trying a previous version of the BIOS later today and we'll see.

Well, I never had problems with Avira, and I'm not quite sure that it is causing this because I uninstalled it and the problem was still there, I'm gonna reinstal it since this wasn't the problem.

yes and disable some thing!

Like what ? Everything that is opened ATM is stuff I use so...

it's not idle. You have opened photoshop, so it's normal.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Well, I never had problems with Avira, and I'm not quite sure that it is causing this because I uninstalled it and the problem was still there, I'm gonna reinstal it since this wasn't the problem.

Yeah but Avira shoves ads down your throat on a near daily basis (unless they stopped) and avast! doesn't.

Yeah but Avira shoves ads down your throat on a near daily basis (unless they stopped) and avast! doesn't.

Yes, they stopped.

it's not idle. You have opened photoshop, so it's normal.

Yes on the picture, but even when it's not opened, it's still over 80%.

That's idle?! You've got quite a few programs open. If you close everything and sit at the desktop (truly idle) does your issue go away?

Many programs often cache large amounts of memory, even going as far as to use all of your free memory to build as large of a cache as possible. The second you close the program or try to do anything else it dumps all of the memory it had cached. It shouldn't feel sluggish because of memory being cached so it's very possible that something else is going on here.

That's idle?! You've got quite a few programs open. If you close everything and sit at the desktop (truly idle) does your issue go away?

Many programs often cache large amounts of memory, even going as far as to use all of your free memory to build as large of a cache as possible. The second you close the program or try to do anything else it dumps all of the memory it had cached. It shouldn't feel sluggish because of memory being cached so it's very possible that something else is going on here.

I know... Haha. I closed them all and even then, the memory was still over 75%... As I said before, I uninstalled Avira, nothing changed, so I reinstalled it. Now, I uninstalled it again, but with CCleaner, so clean remove and stuff, as of now, it's working, it's not going over 20% with all the processes, without it's no more than 12%, so yeah. I'm going to see what happens tomorrow and over the next week, but yeah, it's working for now.

Thanks everyone!

Some programs cache their files in the RAM and they don't even show in the processes list. 

Do you have an external hard drive plugged in or something of that sort?

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/

I still don't understand your problem? Closed photoshop & still used lots of RAM? So open the task manager & check which process uses much RAM, then terminate the process. It's just simple.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I still don't understand your problem? Closed photoshop & still used lots of RAM? So open the task manager & check which process uses much RAM, then terminate the process. It's just simple.

You do realise you're not helping here ?

You do realise you're not helping here ?

You do realize you have no problem?

The term Idle is when the PC boots with the programs that is specified to load at boot or any programs opened by you are closed. Those other programs that you highlighted other than your anti-virus are not idle, those are active and you have some demanding programs open too so it is normal. People don't regularly include a browser as resource demanding but Chrome has changed over the years and it is very resource demanding for a browser.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

it's almost always the antivirus my 8gig laptop had 6gig used in idle cause of mcafee piece of junk software lol.

it's almost always the antivirus my 8gig laptop had 6gig used in idle cause of mcafee piece of junk software lol.

It was the antivirus apparently yes, it's been 2 days and didn't have any problems like this since... haha

also check useage in the resource monitor section under the memory tab. 

it will give you a clearer indication of what programs are comitting memory and using a working set . chrome can use up to 130mb per tab. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

Winamp. LOL.

I assume you've tried restarting, running a virus scan, uninstalling old programs, etc..?

If none of that works, you can always try taking out your ram and blowing on it like an old Nintendo cartridge.

OP, next time you upgrade Winamp, just be sure to download more RAM to compensate  ;)

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

OP, next time you upgrade Winamp, just be sure to download more RAM to compensate  ;)

Just incase you're dumb, he's joking ^

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------