Need a way to get games for windows 98

NebbyNu

I just finished putting together my windows 98 "gaming pc" and now im looking for a good way to get games for it. Anyone have a good method of doing this? any ideas would help.

(Also: don't suggest using dosbox or a vm. that's not the point)

Why are you using Windows 98 on a Gaming PC?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, norrisben8 said:

I just finished putting together my windows 98 gaming pc and now im looking for a good way to get games for it. Anyone have a good method of doing this? any ideas would help.

(Also: don't suggest using dosbox or a vm. that's not the point)

https://www.myabandonware.com/

try this?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why are you using Windows 98 on a Gaming PC?

I probably should have explained this, its not a gaming pc its just a retrobuild. I had a pc with a pentium 2 and decided to throw a voodoo3 in there and want to play some retro games with it

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Do it like in the 90's PIRACY IS THE ANSWER!

Jokes aside, steam has a few 98 compatible games but i doubt steam will work with 98, but if i remember right gog should have a selection of games 98 compatible as well, and since they are drm free, should be no problem.

Will I be able to burn them to a cd and install them on the 98 pc? I've never actually used gog but i think it might work?

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

Since there's no DRM yup, very few games install in the system folders anyway, so getting them off gog, maybe using the main PC to get the games installed and moving the files to 98 should work (the gog installer might not work on 98).

Alright I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

If you want to do it the legit way, eBay would be your best bet. One of the great things about older PC games is that you actually had physical copies so I would totally take advantage of that fact. Aside from rare or hard to find boxed versions, you should be able to get them super cheap.

I would also check out thrift stores. I find older Windows 98 era games fairly often in thrift stores.

On a side note, I really miss those old big box PC games. The boxes were like a portal into another world when I was a kid. It was quite the experience flipping open all the cardboard covers and seeing magnificent screenshots for the first time. It's similar to Laserdisc in that regard. There was so much room for art, screenshots, and text. We may have gained a lot with digital and distributable medias in recent years but we definitely lost something when it comes to the containers they came in.

25 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

If you want to do it the legit way, eBay would be your best bet. One of the great things about older PC games is that you actually had physical copies so I would totally take advantage of that fact. Aside from rare or hard to find boxed versions, you should be able to get them super cheap.

I would also check out thrift stores. I find older Windows 98 era games fairly often in thrift stores.

On a side note, I really miss those old big box PC games. The boxes were like a portal into another world when I was a kid. It was quite the experience flipping open all the cardboard covers and seeing magnificent screenshots for the first time. It's similar to Laserdisc in that regard. There was so much room for art, screenshots, and text. We may have gained a lot with digital and distributable medias in recent years but we definitely lost something when it comes to the containers they came in.

Yeah I was planning on hitting up the local thrift stores soon to hunt for old games. The stores here kinda suck but maybe I'll come up with something. Also completely agree about big box games. Kinda sad that I missed out on a lot of the joys of the early days of PC gaming. Thanks for the suggestions!