Thermoelectric/Peltier cooling.

So, I'm playing around with the idea of Peltier cooling my rig.

Just for shits n giggles.

I was wondering, however, what the freezing temperature of your standard water cooling fluid is?

I can't imagine chunks of ice would be good for my pump. Hah.

Anyway.

Thanks in advance!

there was a guy on here talking about this awhile ago

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

there was a guy on here talking about this awhile ago

YA dat would be me !

I guess

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

YA dat would be me !

I guess

Got any idea of what the temp is?

This seems to be an ultra niche area of the cooling game.

Not a lot of info out there.

NOT very useful !

Might wanna watch this    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHsbSe8V24

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

No they are extremely inefficient and you need a h100i or something to draw the heat from the otherside.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Got any idea of what the temp is?

This seems to be an ultra niche area of the cooling game.

Not a lot of info out there.

Close to FREEZING !

So, I'm playing around with the idea of Peltier cooling my rig.

Just for shits n giggles.

I was wondering, however, what the freezing temperature of your standard water cooling fluid is?

I can't imagine chunks of ice would be good for my pump. Hah.

Anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Usually H2O freezes @ 0C. But when mixed with alcohol its freezing pt will be reduced.

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

No they are extremely inefficient and you need a h100i or something to draw the heat from the otherside.

I'm not sure how you're answering any of my questions.

I'm aware of what's needed.

What I don't know is if I need to mix antifreeze in with my coolant fluid.

Usually H2O freezes @ 0C. But when mixed with alcohol its freezing pt will be reduced.

Is the liquid just water though?

I know the fluids they put in car radiators have a lower than 0 freezing point, hence why I'm asking.

I'm not sure how you're answering any of my questions.

I'm aware of what's needed.

What I don't know is if I need to mix antifreeze in with my coolant fluid.

Is the liquid just water though?

I know the fluids they put in car radiators have a lower than 0 freezing point, hence why I'm asking.

If I remember science from 5 years ago correctly, you want the purest water you can find and the the highest alcohol % you can get. I don't remember what kind though.

If I remember science from 5 years ago correctly, you want the purest water you can find and the the highest alcohol % you can get. I don't remember what kind though.

I stumbled on a graph before, you want around 60% antifreeze for the lowest temp.

Not sure about alc though.

Why would you want antifreeze in your coolant? The peltier will be between your CPU and block. The block and coolant will get very hot.

If you plan to cool down the coolant (although I don't see why you would, then don't forget about freezing o-rings, the min operating temp of your pump and condensation gathering on all your tubing, blocks and pump.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I stumbled on a graph before, you want around 60% antifreeze for the lowest temp.

Not sure about alc though.

This is the usual mixture on cars.. 60%coolant / 40%H20.

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

According to koolance there coolant freezes at -15

Although as Ghost put it if your going to do it put the peltier between the cpu and the waterblock. I wouldn't try and use a peltier to cool the water, way to inefficient IMHO . also opens you upto to lots of possible condensation issues on your tubes.

Keep in mind that adding the peltier will probably mean you thermal heat load goes up by 150-200watts. If your loop only has the cpu and your okay with high water temperatures it will probably be fine. if your running water cooled gpu's i would expect gpu temps to increase significantly.

Iv thought about doing it in the past. Personally if i were to do it id do a cpu only loop. And use something like an arduino to control the peltier unit. Setup a control curve to keep the cpu temps ~ 5C ABOVE the dew point.

Its a fun project I think if you set it up properly and dont push it to the extreme it could be realible enough for everyday use. On the other hand if your going for max OC reliability of the cooling system might be an issue.

Although as Ghost put it if your going to do it put the peltier between the cpu and the waterblock. I wouldn't try and use a peltier to cool the water, way to inefficient IMHO . also opens you upto to lots of possible condensation issues on your tubes.

Keep in mind that adding the peltier will probably mean you thermal heat load goes up by 150-200watts. If your loop only has the cpu and your okay with high water temperatures it will probably be fine. if your running water cooled gpu's i would expect gpu temps to increase significantly.

Iv thought about doing it in the past. Personally if i were to do it id do a cpu only loop. And use something like an arduino to control the peltier unit. Setup a control curve to keep the cpu temps ~ 5C ABOVE the dew point.

Its a fun project I think if you set it up properly and dont push it to the extreme it could be realible enough for everyday use. On the other hand if your going for max OC reliability of the cooling system might be an issue.

You do understand that if he chilled the water the would be heating the cpu massively. 

You do understand that if he chilled the water the would be heating the cpu massively. 

Why? He wasn't talking about flipping the peltier. Just cooling the water at a different point in the loop.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Why? He wasn't talking about flipping the peltier. Just cooling the water at a different point in the loop.

Yeah that would work but then you would need another cooler for the TEC.

Just to clarify,

This is what i was thinking :

water block ->  (hot side) peltier   (cold side ) -> cpu

The cpu water block would be there to keep the TEC cool. The TEC would cool the cpu. The problem is that the TEC isnt efficient if its providing 100W of cooling on the cold side its probably kicking out 200W of heat on the hot side.

It would work for a loop that is cpu only the only thing is it would be much hotter water temperatures then we are used to running. Which is fine would actually make the rads more efficient .

Steven

-15 sounds about right from what I've found.

"And use something like an arduino to control the peltier unit. Setup a control curve to keep the cpu temps ~ 5C ABOVE the dew point."

That's become my line of thought too.

There seem to be a couple of ways to keep the condensation down.

If I properly insulate the system, I could get away with a lot cooler temperatures.

The more I look into it, the more I think it's going to be a lot of trial and error.

Good thing I have a draw full of old CPUs to burn through.

I've played with a few end goals...

One would be to hook it up to a 780 and ramp it up to get as much power as possible.

The other would be a sustainable system for my server.

One day I'm going to watercool the 8 sticks of DDR2 in that thing.

It gets super hot.

This is a great idea. I have to let you know however, I just did a thermoelectric cooling lab(frigistor) and condensation accumulated quickly. Watch out for that.