looking at upgrading to a shot gun mic

godsarmy

Currently I have a blue spark digital. I use it to talk to my friends on things like coms or vent mumble.  I'm looking at the rode ntg1. It will be mounted above my monitor pointed at me. I don't like mic's on head sets and don't want the mic right in my face. Has anyone used a shot gun mic for this type of set up?? And could u share ur thoughts on the matter

A shotgun mic will just be overkill, and you'll need something(soundcard/preamp) to provide phantom power.
I have used a shotgun mic for a while, you'll have a lot of trouble with moving out of the pick up pattern when moving/leaning to the side.

What is the problem with your Spark that you need to upgrade?

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

And... what's wrong with the blue spark?

A shotgun mic will just be overkill, and you'll need something(soundcard/preamp) to provide phantom power.

I have used a shotgun mic for a while, you'll have a lot of trouble with moving out of the pick up pattern when moving/leaning to the side.

What is the problem with your Spark that you need to upgrade?

Its not a need thing I was hoping it would be better. Less back ground noise. And not having to be so close to the mic. My friends looking for a mic and I was thinking of upgrading and giving them a good deal on my mic. I'm ok with spending 350-400 (max) on a good mic setup.

For $300+ you'll be able to get a great mic setup... Let me ask Edzel because he's more of a microphone dork than I am.

I was going to hook it up with a behringer XENYX Q502USB.

The only con to expensive mics is what @niksuto said - you'll need some sort of preamp as well. The Blue Icicle is a cheap/good solution if you don't need all the knobs a more expensive unit would have.

For $300+ you'll be able to get a great mic setup... Let me ask Edzel because he's more of a microphone dork than I am.

thanks!

Interesting idea. One issue already raised is that they're very directional and depending how much you move, might not work out.

But there's no real reason why it wouldn't work. NTG-1 is short enough that it shouldn't be too big of an issue with poking you in the face. Depending on how loud you are, though, it might sound better if you used a studio mic at a low level, mounted around forehead level in-between you and the monitor.

Hmm, I'm going to try something like that right now.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

Interesting idea. One issue already raised is that they're very directional and depending how much you move, might not work out.

But there's no real reason why it wouldn't work. NTG-1 is short enough that it shouldn't be too big of an issue with poking you in the face. Depending on how loud you are, though, it might sound better if you used a studio mic at a low level, mounted around forehead level in-between you and the monitor.

i dont move out of the chair. and what i was hoping to do was use one of those big extendable arms to keep the mic out of sight of sceens and above my head..

thanks for the info!!

Do you have a vent in the ceiling?

If you're using an arm with the shotgun mic above you, pointed down, you might get some echo from the ceiling or vent noise. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with it.

Do you have a vent in the ceiling?

If you're using an arm with the shotgun mic above you, pointed down, you might get some echo from the ceiling or vent noise. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with it.

no vents!   ill go a head and order it then..  i was looking at the Q502USB for a mixer. good idea??? recommendations ??

Well, test complete.

nice! thanx for putting that together!   ;)   with the shot gun mic is it bad to be 2ft to 3ft from the mic?

nice! thanx for putting that together!   ;)   with the shot gun mic is it bad to be 2ft to 3ft from the mic?

Not necessarily. Depending on how it's angled (where it's pointed) relative to your mouth, you might have to be careful about plosives.

so here is the order so far.

rode ntg1 =shotgun mic

behinger Q502USB = mixer

sksd019b = triple arm dest mic stand (was super hard to find)

rode sm4= shock mount

any changes i should make???

so here is the order so far.

rode ntg1 =shotgun mic

behinger Q502USB = mixer

sksd019b = triple arm dest mic stand (was super hard to find)

rode sm4= shock mount

any changes i should make???

i might not be able to get a 3 arm stand. i cant find anyone who sells it in the us ;(

I use a Rode NTG2 for all my videos on camera and I have put it on a small tripod on my desk pointing at my chest before and it picked up fantastic audio and helped reduce noise but it won't sound as good as a studio mic like an A2020 mounted within 6 - 8 inches of your mouth. You also can use an audio interface like a Zoom H4n and setup your noise floors to take out some of the fan noise and background noise from the signal before it gets to the computer so you can take out some of that background noise with an onidirectional mic also. Just some ideas, hope they help! But as far as mics go the Rode NTG2 is amazing and I love it.

Thanks,

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

http://barnnerd.com

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

I use a Rode NTG2 for all my videos on camera and I have put it on a small tripod on my desk pointing at my chest before and it picked up fantastic audio and helped reduce noise but it won't sound as good as a studio mic like an A2020 mounted within 6 - 8 inches of your mouth. You also can use an audio interface like a Zoom H4n and setup your noise floors to take out some of the fan noise and background noise from the signal before it gets to the computer so you can take out some of that background noise with an onidirectional mic also. Just some ideas, hope they help! But as far as mics go the Rode NTG2 is amazing and I love it.

Thanks,

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

http://barnnerd.com

i just got done watching ur video on it!  thanks for the input man!

XLR cable?

that would have been funny to forget that! lol

Someone should donate an incredible mic like that to me. 100% of people I speak to on Vent, Mumble, Teamspeak, Skype etc tell me that I have a radio voice and need to be a radio personality or at least a podcaster. The mic I have (Sony F-V320) is pretty old but it actually doesn't sound that bad. I've had it for like 7 years. I have a YouTube channel but I haven't used it to be professional or anything and it's mostly been just video tutorials for games and other things.

I at least know I have a much more tolerable voice than Linus and I'm just as enthusiastic.

thanks!

Shadow clone jutsu!

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review