Looking to use a second GPU for mining/folding/etc

Hey guys,

so I upgraded my GPU from a R9 290 to a GTX 1080 a while ago. Since the AMD GPUs are so good at mining, I am looking to see if I can use the R9 290 at the same time as the 1080, and use the 290 for mining and such since I won't be using it otherwise, and it's not in good enough shape to morally sell. 

Ive heard of this being possible, but I havent been able to find any guides online or anything. Could someone link me to some helpful stuff, or just tell me how to do it? Thank you! :D

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

if not mistaken just install it, install drivers and done, just have the 1080 on the top slot, it should work, at most you might need to use ddu to uninstall the drivers and start fresh

29 minutes ago, Sonefiler said:

You are a few years too late on that, I also hope you are using that 1080 for something better than a 1080p 60hz display.

You can throw it into a secondary PC and run NiceHash but that's about it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

You are a few years too late on that, I also hope you are using that 1080 for something better than a 1080p 60hz display.

You can throw it into a secondary PC and run NiceHash but that's about it.

Wow, you're incredibly condescending and I'd rather not talk to you.

1 minute ago, Sonefiler said:

Wow, you're incredibly condescending and I'd rather not talk to you.

That's my job.

But do you think it's worth having your PSU have 100% load on half of it's PCI-e output all of the time? That's why people use secondary rigs for mining. You will make basically no money though running a single 290 for this.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

That's my job.

But do you think it's worth having your PSU have 100% load on half of it's PCI-e output all of the time? That's why people use secondary rigs for mining. You will make basically no money though running a single 290 for this.

Looking to use a second GPU for mining/folding/etc

when did i say bitcoin?

whys my text so big wtf

2 minutes ago, Sonefiler said:

Either way, your single system PSU would have to power your CPU/GPU and a 290 running 100% load all day, I really don't think that's a good idea to run in your daily PC, but if you want to do it, if you can boot into windows the software for mining/folding can usually select the 2nd GPU only, or you can pass it through to a virtual machine potentially and do it that way.

Spoiler

You might be able to install both nvidia and amd drivers but from what I've heard, it usually conflicts with each other. Best is to throw your R9 290 in a seperate cheap system with a pentium cpu, install ubuntu server on it and mine some ethereum. The R9 290 is pretty great at mining Ethereum but a single 290 won't make much of a profit if you're in it for the money.

Folding on the other hand is also pretty much the same setup but just remember to remove the cpu slot within the fah control so that it'll just fold on the 290 alone. For folding, every little bit counts. :D

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

you can install both drivers on a windows 10 system without issue, i currently have a dual branded mining system using amd/nvidia hardware, and it works seamlessly and not difficult at all to setup. You can also mine with different branded cards easily using nicehash legacy version (the standard version does not support AMD), i'm fairly sure Claymore's mining supports both AMD and Nvidia as well. You can also look into Simplemining OS as they support both brands together but being this as an everyday use system i'd assume you want to stick with windows. 

As for Folding, not sure never tried it so i cannot say anything there. As for running the system with both cards at full load, as long as your PSU can support it, it should not be a problem at all, although i would recommend adjusting the fan speeds on the cards to run faster than you normally would to keep temps lower.