1060 6gb to 1070ti for video editing

So i just bought a EVGA GTX 1060 SC(6gb), mainly for editing my Youtube videos on premiere pro. If i upgraded(I bought the 2 years "plan", so I can return the card) to a 1070 ti, would i see enough improvement in rendering speed to make it worth it? I don't game(no time I'm either making knives or music, but I digress) so, it is hard to find any info on this subject, thanks in advance.

Since video editing is CUDA Acceleration depended literally the more CUDA Cores you have the better and the GTX 1070 Ti has a lot more of those than the GTX 1060, in fact it is closer to the 1080 than the 1070 in raw amount, so yes you'll definitively have an improvement.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Depends what kind of editing you're doing. Premiere Pro is basically all CPU with the exception for a handful of uncommon effects so it wouldn't make much difference in most cases.

If you're just cutting, mixing, adjusting some levels and such, the GPU won't be used. I tried using Premiere Pro because I heard it supported GPU rendering/encoding, but found that there was no difference in rendering time when using two GTX Titan Blacks and when not using them, it was all CPU. 

If you use After Effects a lot as well, then the GPU can make a difference. 

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Since video editing is CUDA Acceleration depended literally the more CUDA Cores you have the better and the GTX 1070 Ti has a lot more of those than the GTX 1060, in fact it is closer to the 1080 than the 1070 in raw amount, so yes you'll definitively have an improvement.

Premiere Pro barely uses GPUs for most things. I've tried it with two Titan Blacks and it makes no difference for normal editing. I've heard others have been dissapointed as well as it makes no difference for them. It's advertised as using GPU acceleration (and it can), but it only works for a few effects, not for the majority of what people will be using it for unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends what kind of editing you're doing. Premiere Pro is basically all CPU with the exception for a handful of uncommon effects so it wouldn't make much difference in most cases.

If you're just cutting, mixing, adjusting some levels and such, the GPU won't be used. I tried using Premiere Pro because I heard it supported GPU rendering/encoding, but found that there was no difference in rendering time when using two GTX Titan Blacks and when not using them, it was all CPU. 

If you use After Effects a lot as well, then the GPU can make a difference. 

See, when I replaced my 960 FTW, I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I've noticed while I'm rendering, I'm not even using a 1/3 of the cards potential. That is exactly why i asked. Thanks

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Premiere Pro barely uses GPUs for most things.

Oh yes? My bad then I have always used Sony Vegas instead which uses Cuda Acceleration like a charm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Premiere Pro barely uses GPUs for most things. I've tried it with two Titan Blacks and it makes no difference for normal editing. I've heard others have been dissapointed as well as it makes no difference for them. It's advertised as using GPU acceleration (and it can), but it only works for a few effects, not for the majority of what people will be using it for unfortunately. 

Is there any way to get Premiere to utilize the card? It seems like such a waste.

Just now, DaveErving said:

See, when I replaced my 960 FTW, I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I've noticed while I'm rendering, I'm not even using a 1/3 of the cards potential. That is exactly why i asked. Thanks

I would try rendering out a typical video for you on CPU only and then try it with GPU as well. If it makes a noticeable difference, moving to a better card may help. If not, there's no point as you're not using the effects that take advantage of GPU.

I would try rendering out a typical video for you on CPU only and then try it with GPU as well. If it makes a noticeable difference, moving to a better card may help. If not, there's no point as you're not using the effects that take advantage of GPU.

Ok, thanks, but i don't think it will. I would imagine going from a 960 to a 1060 is about the same as going from a 1060 to 1070 ti, at least for this application. Thanks again.

Just now, DaveErving said:

Is there any way to get Premiere to utilize the card? It seems like such a waste.

Use the effects that take advantage of GPUs (I'm not sure what they are, you may be able to find them if you search around). 

It's not a matter of it being a secret setting, it just doesn't use it for rendering/encoding for most things. If you do a search for Premiere Pro not using GPU, you'll come across loads of people who used Premiere Pro for the GPU acceleration and are disappointed. I think it kind of holds true for all video editing software though, most of them don't utilise GPUs because there's very little that can actually use it. After Effects and similar programs use GPUs much more due to the effects and types of processing that needs to be done. For things like normal encoding into H.264, it's all CPU unless there are effects that can be handed off to the GPU. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Use the effects that take advantage of GPUs (I'm not sure what they are, you may be able to find them if you search around). 

It's not a matter of it being a secret setting, it just doesn't use it for rendering/encoding for most things. If you do a search for Premiere Pro not using GPU, you'll come across loads of people who used Premiere Pro for the GPU acceleration and are disappointed. I think it kind of holds true for all video editing software though, most of them don't utilise GPUs because there's very little that can actually use it. After Effects and similar programs use GPUs much more due to the effects and types of processing that needs to be done. For things like normal encoding into H.264, it's all CPU unless there are effects that can be handed off to the GPU. 

Hey thanks, this has been a big help(not to mention, you save me a few hundred dollars). Everytime I search anything about video cards, it always goes to gaming.

Adobe Software is notorious for being poorly optimized, so you won't see much (if any) difference between a 1060 an a 1070 ti in premiere unless you are using a LOT of layers and effects. From what I've heard, for optimal performance all you need is a recent GPU (maxwell or newer) with at least 4GB of VRAM.

If you are looking to upgrade something, upgrading the CPU and RAM (RAM especially) is probably your best choice for better performance.

Linus made a video about it:

No difference between GTX 970 and the highest end Nvidia card for a relatively simple render. Of course for more layers and effects/plugins you will probably find that the higher end cards do end up performing a little bit better, but not by any significant margin that is worth the few hundred dollars spent. A 1060-class GPU is all you need.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Oh yes? My bad then I have always used Sony Vegas instead which uses Cuda Acceleration like a charm.

If I recall correctly the newer versions of Vegas do not support video card acceleration (well they do, but rather poorly).
Also if you're using Vegas then AMD is by far the better option (Hawaii based GPUs appear to be the best performers)

EDIT: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-graphics-cards-gpu-acceleration-for-vegas-pro--104614/ 
Never mind it seems that they fixed that with the new AVC/AAC renderer in vegas 15. Using a higher end Nvidia card may make sense for Vegas. Premiere is a different story however.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

9 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Adobe Software is notorious for being poorly optimized, so you won't see much (if any) difference between a 1060 an a 1070 ti in premiere unless you are using a LOT of layers and effects. From what I've heard, for optimal performance all you need is a recent GPU (maxwell or newer) with at least 4GB of VRAM.

If you are looking to upgrade something, upgrading the CPU and RAM (RAM especially) is probably your best choice for better performance.

Linus made a video about it:

No difference between GTX 970 and the highest end Nvidia card for a relatively simple render. Of course for more layers and effects/plugins you will probably find that the higher end cards do end up performing a little bit better, but not by any significant margin that is worth the few hundred dollars spent. A 1060-class GPU is all you need.

Yeah, I watched this video a few times. I've got a 4790k & a Asrock extreme 4, so I'd have to upgrade both and the ram,that's about $800, without the ram. Thanks though

11 hours ago, DaveErving said:

Yeah, I watched this video a few times. I've got a 4790k & a Asrock extreme 4, so I'd have to upgrade both and the ram,that's about $800, without the ram. Thanks though

I recommend you get the Ryzen 1700. 32GB of RAM is ideal, but RAM is kind of expensive right now so 16GB is probably just enough for premiere.

I'd probably get 1700 + b350 mobo + 2x 8GB sticks of ram, then in the future get another 2 8GB sticks.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

I recommend you get the Ryzen 1700. 32GB of RAM is ideal, but RAM is kind of expensive right now so 16GB is probably just enough for premiere.

I'd probably get 1700 + b350 mobo + 2x 8GB sticks of ram, then in the future get another 2 8GB sticks.

yeah, I don't know, I'm an Intel/Nvidia guy, haha thanks though

18 minutes ago, DaveErving said:

yeah, I don't know, I'm an Intel/Nvidia guy, haha thanks though

For gaming Intel makes sense, but for video editing I'd lean towards AMD because you get cheaper motherboards and 2 extra cores compared to an Intel coffee lake offering.
Anyways, I probably wouldn't upgrade your CPU until Intel releases their 10nm CPUs or AMD with their 7nm (which would probably be around late-2018 to early/mid 2019). 4790k is still quite the beast.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook