Internet speed

I currently have Bell Fibe internet (10Mbps upload and 15Mbps download with Bell modem and Asus router) but I pay $88 + tax. I'm wandering if switching to a cable internet of 30Mbps download would be faster or would having cable internet in an apartment building simply slow it down?

If it's actually 30Mbps, it will be faster regardless of the cable type it uses. However, you don't always get what is advertised, so you may want to double check with the providers to see what the real world speeds would likely be. 

It's basically impossible for us to say whether it will result in significantly improved speeds without knowing how they have things wired up, how other users' usage affects your connection and so on. 

EDIT: Also, $88 for a 10/15 connection, that's horrible ):

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If it's actually 30Mbps, it will be faster regardless of the cable type it uses. However, you don't always get what is advertised, so you may want to double check with the providers to see what the real world speeds would likely be. 

It's basically impossible for us to say whether it will result in significantly improved speeds without knowing how they have things wired up, how other users' usage affects your connection and so on. 

EDIT: Also, $88 for a 10/15 connection, that's horrible ):

Yeah I thought so. I have a friend who uses it (tecksavvy) and it says it's great so far. But I live in a big apartment building and was thinking that might cause severe slow downs. And yes the Price is horrible (I think it's mainly because I added unlimited monthly usage) honestly, I might switch just cause of that.

24 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

I currently have Bell Fibe internet (10Mbps upload and 15Mbps download with Bell modem and Asus router) but I pay $88 + tax. I'm wandering if switching to a cable internet of 30Mbps download would be faster or would having cable internet in an apartment building simply slow it down?

first your "speed/velocity" is called latency

your load is the bandwidth

if switching will take you to a consistently higher latency your will effectively be going slower

if the slower isp can have a larger payload then you will feel faster due to the bigger payload(a train car dumping its grain compared to 1 ton truck)

i suggest upgrading your package with bell as it should be a dsl type connection which typically has the better latency(unless your outside of 5 mile distance from the isp node server/switchboard) this means 5 wire miles which may not be equal to road travel distance

6 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

first your "speed/velocity" is called latency

your load is the bandwidth

if switching will take you to a consistently higher latency your will effectively be going slower

if the slower isp can have a larger payload then you will feel faster due to the bigger payload(a train car dumping its grain compared to 1 ton truck)

i suggest upgrading your package with bell as it should be a dsl type connection which typically has the better latency(unless your outside of 5 mile distance from the isp node server/switchboard) this means 5 wire miles which may not be equal to road travel distance

Really. Though, for $88 a month, it doesn't seem worth it. 

1 minute ago, prostrike33 said:

Really. Though, for $88 a month, it doesn't seem worth it. 

how much do they charge for dsl?

as you say bell fiber so this type network has great variability in deployment type

fiber should be giving 50mbps no issues and cost effectively(which i can see $88/month)

speed your claiming i drop my isp in instant for nothing less than true 85% reliable bandwidth of 50mbps

? how far are you from isp local node and if dsl type network setup will they prorate the bill?

prorating easy as their servers can fetch the modems local up down rates

1 hour ago, prostrike33 said:

The way most cable providers do this is run fiber to the node. The node is what converts to coax which is what you use. Each area will be different, on how active people use their internet. How many people are on a node, I think Comcast has about 100-300 people per node. Not sure how Bell does it. With the new Docsis 3.1 Standard currently being deployed by many providers in the US, Cable Internet can do up to 10Gbps down 2 Gbps up. Most providers are offering 1Gbps down and 35-45 Mbps up, currently. Docsis 3.1 Full Duplex will do 10Gbps down and 10Gbps up. Though that second standard just got finalized. Waiting for cable providers to start upgrading. The point is, Fiber and Cable internet are going to be the fastest you can get in most cases. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The way most cable providers do this is run fiber to the node. The node is what converts to coax which is what you use. Each area will be different, on how active people use their internet. How many people are on a node, I think Comcast has about 100-300 people per node. Not sure how Bell does it. With the new Docsis 3.1 Standard currently being deployed by many providers in the US, Cable Internet can do up to 10Gbps down 2 Gbps up. Most providers are offering 1Gbps down and 35-45 Mbps up, currently. Docsis 3.1 Full Duplex will do 10Gbps down and 10Gbps up. Though that second standard just got finalized. Waiting for cable providers to start upgrading. The point is, Fiber and Cable internet are going to be the fastest you can get in most cases. 

Probably should have mentioned I live in Canada. Not sure how many people are on a node, but I'm thinking for the price I pay switching to a provider that gives cable internet of 30Mbps download and 5Mbps upload for $52 + tax is a better option. I've just been researching about how having neighbours that use cable as well can slow down internet speeds (apartment building)

6 hours ago, prostrike33 said:

88 bucks a month??  I spend 80 for AT&T gigabyte fiber. 1 gig up and down. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Canada  =  TekSavvy

Cable     =  200Mbps 

Cost       =  84.00$can + Tax  for 220g/ month

Cost        = 94.00$ca for unlimited

Bell is expensive

45 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

In Canada we are the guy`s on the other side of the tracks

6 hours ago, Zmax said:

In Canada we are the guy`s on the other side of the tracks

I used to live in Sudbury ON. I was half asleep and didn't think of Canada. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

11 hours ago, prostrike33 said:

how having neighbours that use cable as well can slow down internet speeds (apartment building)

Technically this is true. If all the people on the node try to heavily use the internet at the same time it can slow it down for every one. However, if your Cable provider has any sense, they should have more than enough bandwidth to account for a good amount of usage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Zusafek said:

i can beat that

6779068108.png

$120AUD/month 500Gb cap. literally no other options

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒