need help outputing hdmi on lubuntu

back story: I've got an old acer aspire one with a smashed screen, it still works but I've got to output through hdmi or vga. I went through the install of lubuntu using another notebook then swapped the harddrive into the aspire.

using the other notebook I can output to my tv (with hdmi) by going through the display settings tab or by using the command xrandr --output --auto hdmi-0 in terminal (which works)

but when installed on the netbook I cant navigate the menus (since screen is smashed) and I cant get the terminal to output through the hdmi (the screen is smashed but I can see a dark box show through the crackes when I input ctrl+alt+t so I know the os is operating)

I've also tried using the working notebook to enter the command into startup but it refuses to save the xrandr command.

anyone have any idea for me to try?

22 minutes ago, tech_garage said:

back story: I've got an old acer aspire one with a smashed screen, it still works but I've got to output through hdmi or vga. I went through the install of lubuntu using another notebook then swapped the harddrive into the aspire.

using the other notebook I can output to my tv (with hdmi) by going through the display settings tab or by using the command xrandr --output --auto hdmi-0 in terminal (which works)

but when installed on the netbook I cant navigate the menus (since screen is smashed) and I cant get the terminal to output through the hdmi (the screen is smashed but I can see a dark box show through the crackes when I input ctrl+alt+t so I know the os is operating)

I've also tried using the working notebook to enter the command into startup but it refuses to save the xrandr command.

anyone have any idea for me to try?

Do you know what specs it is? Are there DP, mDP, VGA, DVI-D outputs? 

the netbook? not sure I think it's intel atom 1g ram, lubuntu 17. something (the newest available.

only has one hdmi and one vga, I have no external monitor to try the vga on i'm thinking the hdmi port on the netbook might not be labeled hdmi-0 like on my other notebook, but I have tried xrandr --output --auto (thinking it outputs to all available sources? without success. or maybe that's not the correct command. w

Just now, tech_garage said:

the netbook? not sure I think it's intel atom 1g ram, lubuntu 17. something (the newest available.

only has one hdmi and one vga, I have no external monitor to try the vga on i'm thinking the hdmi port on the netbook might not be labeled hdmi-0 like on my other notebook, but I have tried xrandr --output --auto (thinking it outputs to all available sources? without success. or maybe that's not the correct command. w

You could get a cheap HDMI to VGA, or get into GRUB command line when you boot and try the commands.

IF it really runs on your Netbook just setup SSH on the installation via the other PC and then change the xrandr-settings via SSH.