Headphones for true sounding music!?

moderategamer

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones with a clear and accurate sound signature I listen to a wide variety of music genres so I am looking for a good balance between lows mids and highs, I know I don't ask for much I want good bass reproduction but don't want them to be to biased towards bass.

any help would be appreciated give me your two cents and please be civilised about it not looking for any wars here on who has the best headphones everyone has their preferences :P      

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

look for good open back headphones and a flat sound signature for "true" sound. Personally, true isn't important and I like a slight V curve and closed back, because I'm a heathen, so I can't recommend much. Besides, my price range is generally under 200, so unless you want budget other forum members will have to assist you. 

When looking at much higher end options, a dedicated dac and AMP may be a good idea, and that adds even more to the price, so yah 

Give a price range otherwise people will just shove 650s at you for some reason. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

look for good open back headphones and a flat sound signature for "true" sound. Personally, true isn't important and I like a slight V curve and closed back, because I'm a heathen.

When looking at much higher end options, a dedicated dac and AMP may be a good idea, and that adds even more to the price, so yah 

Give a price range otherwise people will just shove 650s at you for some reason. 

I'd like to get them fairly cheap but I'm also prepared to spend some money if I have to I just want to see the options right now and I can decide on what's a good deal for the money etc.

2 minutes ago, LordOfLegends said:

I have a pair of m50xs and they are great. Fairly accurate. There's a graph Right Here

That's a nice looking graph seems quite flat. nice looking headphones as well if I'm looking at the right ones are they the ATH m50xs?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

7 minutes ago, LordOfLegends said:

I have a pair of m50xs and they are great. Fairly accurate. There's a graph Right Here

from what I've heard, m50s at least, they seemed to have a slight 'v' signature to me, but looking around I find contradictory response graphs and impressions. I felt the mids were slightly crushed. Others felt it it was mid heavy. Odd, might be slightly different manufacturing process over the years? 

Don't get me wrong, I like the way they sound and I want a pair to replace my use everywhere v6s, but every time I break a pair they're one sale for like negative 50$ so I get another XD. 

I really want to go higher end but I have too many computers and too many places 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

I'd like to get them fairly cheap but I'm also prepared to spend some money if I have to I just want to see the options right now and I can decide on what's a good deal for the money etc.

That's a nice looking graph seems quite flat. nice looking headphones as well if I'm looking at the right ones are they the ATH m50xs?

M50xs are not a great deal for the money, but they're made well and have a replaceable cable, which is just great. Solid all around. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

M50xs are not a great deal for the money, but they're made well and have a replaceable cable, which is just great. Solid all around. 

Is there a comparable set of headphones for a bit less it's not that I can't afford them I'd just feel bad spending that much money on a pair of headphones what headphones do you use?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I'm assuming you mean neutral? Go with the king of neutral headphones, the HD600s

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I'm assuming you mean neutral? Go with the king of neutral headphones, the HD600s

I know I said price wasn't that big of an issue I changed my mind :P I won't go above £150 as I definitely wouldn't feel right about spending that much money seem like a nice pair of headphones though.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Just now, moderategamer said:

I know I said price wasn't that big of an issue I changed my mind :P I won't go above £150 as I definitely wouldn't feel right about spending that much money seem like a nice pair of headphones though.

Oh then go with the SHP9500s. The best headphones under $100 hands down. They are amazing.

Is there a comparable set of headphones for a bit less it's not that I can't afford them I'd just feel bad spending that much money on a pair of headphones what headphones do you use?

what do I use right now? V6s. 50$ when they are on sale. Used them or 7506s off and on for like 10 years. They just nail the sound I like and they're cheap. 

A lot of people recommend 7506s as an alternative for some reason, but personally I don't think they are the same, or worth 100$ given the v6s are easier to find these days, and they're close enough that I couldn't tell the difference replacing one with the other, though never listened to side by side. 7506s a little brighter I guess. 

Anyway what I see given as an alternative to m50s or m50xs often are sennheiser, and I just...hate..the sennheiser sound. So I'm really biased there. 

I was thinking DT880s for myself, but those are a bit more, 200$ range I think. 

TBH, if someone gave me 150$ and told me to buy the headphones I wanted, I'd get m50xs. They look nice, seemed comfortable, and the cord is a big thing for me. I've broke so many over the years I got tired of soldering shit. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Oh then go with the SHP9500s. The best headphones under $100 hands down. They are amazing.

those are a good suggestion. I was thinking about a pair of those myself. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Please don't get the M50Xs, I'm begging you.

eh, there's nothing wrong with them. But if you're trying to squeeze the best sound out of 150$, sure not the best. 

muh specs 

All parts black

those are a good suggestion. I was thinking about a pair of those myself. 

Yeah they are amazing, major sleeper can.

eh, there's nothing wrong with them.

I would disagree

Yeah they are amazing, major sleeper can.

how do they feel? I have a big head. I wanted them for watching stuff/listening to music in my living room. I assume since they are open they are at least breathable, but do they clamp a lot? That's what worries me the most about the way they look. 

muh specs 

All parts black

how do they feel? I have a big head. I wanted them for watching stuff/listening to music in my living room. I assume since they are open they are at least breathable, but do they clamp a lot? That's what worries me the most about the way they look. 

Honestly, probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, and I've heard the same from many others. I tried a pair that my bud owns and they are amazing. I don't need a pair because I have 6XXs, and obviously they aren't on that level, but I like them better than M40Xs or 598s.

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

what do I use right now? V6s. 50$ when they are on sale. 

I can't seem to find any headphones under that name what brand are they?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I can't seem to find any headphones under that name what brand are they?

Here, get these I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509845683&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+shp9500&dpID=41%2BX-iFa0PL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I would disagree

well I praised the removable cable, but those 60$ headphones you listed also have it, so lol yah. I like the way they sound, but I like bad things and hate a lot of things audiophiles like, like sennheisers for no good reason. And I hate NS-10s, but that's because they are the fucking worst and I will argue anyone on that. Everyone who likes NS-10s likes them because they were conditioned to. Never have I heard anyone defend any other monitor with 'you may have to put a piece of paper over the tweeters' and then say it's the best thing ever made. 

Oh were we talking headphones? 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Honestly, probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, and I've heard the same from many others. I tried a pair that my bud owns and they are amazing. I don't need a pair because I have 6XXs, and obviously they aren't on that level, but I like them better than M40Xs or 598s.

how big is your dome/hall tall are you? 

muh specs 

All parts black

how big is your dome/hall tall are you? 

I'm 6' 3" so I have a fairly large head.

I'm 6' 3" so I have a fairly large head.

=) I may have to get these. My v6s are in fairly good shape but I need more than 1 set of over ears. These might be my couch set. 

muh specs 

All parts black