What does gsync and freesync mean?

Vincent123
1 minute ago, Vincent123 said:

I have heard this a lot of curious on what it is.

It means the monitor's refresh rate changes dynamically to match the GPU's framerate instead of refreshing at fixed intervals. This improves smoothness when your framerate drops below your monitor's maximum refresh rate.

They will make the monitors refresh adaptively adjust to match your FPS to eliminate tearing.

G-Sync is a hardware chip in the monitor and works only with NVIDIA cards and is more expensive. Has a big Hz range on which it works.

Free-Sync is cheap to implement and works just trough Display Port alone and with AMD cards only. Usually, has much tighter Hz window in which it works.

Neither of them works if your FPS is higher than monitors maximum refresh rate or if the FPS is lower than the defined Hz limit in which it is supposed to work.

Just now, Glenwing said:

It means the monitor's refresh rate changes dynamically to match the GPU's framerate instead of refreshing at fixed intervals. This improves smoothness when your framerate drops below your monitor's maximum refresh rate.

in addition g sync only works with gtx cards and free sync for amd cards so you should make sure the two match if you ever consider getting a monitor that it matches you're gpu of choice (unless you don't care like me)

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

They will make the monitors refresh adaptively adjust to match your FPS to eliminate tearing.

G-Sync is a hardware chip in the monitor and works only with NVIDIA cards and is more expensive. Has a big Hz range on which it works.

Free-Sync is cheap to implement and works just trough Display Port alone and with AMD cards only. Usually, has much tighter Hz window in which it works.

Neither of them works if your FPS is higher than monitors maximum refresh rate or if the FPS is lower than the defined Hz limit in which it is supposed to work.

So I have a gtx 1080 should i get gysnc then?

10 hours ago, Glenwing said:

If you don't mind paying the increased price for the monitor, since G-Sync makes monitors much more expensive.

Alright what monitor would you recommend then?