Antivirus

cyberphy
Go to solution Solved by KenjiUmino,
1 minute ago, cyberphy said:

Thats anti-malware im looking for an antivirus  

windows defender. the only one that stays the fuck quiet and out of your way. 

6 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

my biggest tip is use an adblocker (disable it on certain websites like LTT no malicious ads on here)

why make exceptions? there are no good / bad ads. ads suck. period.

the times where you could help small sites by keeping ads on are long gone and it looks like the whole system is getting more and more unfair towards small sites.

just look at what youtube did to small channels this year.

I need a lightweight antivirus for my PC (I dont mind if its paid or free)

I primary use my PC for gaming  

i just use windows defender and malwarebytes, and have no issues.

my biggest tip is use an adblocker (disable it on certain websites like LTT no malicious ads on here), and dont download files you dont know or open sketchy emails. 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

If it is windows 10 it has defender built it, you should be good.

But the best defense is just be internet smart, don't click on questionable links. Be aware of phishing emails etc, I also recommend using ad blockers as well.

I use an add blocker and i have internet smarts.

I just want a lightweight av for good protection  

5 minutes ago, cyberphy said:

It does that too.  And a virus is malware.

3 minutes ago, cyberphy said:

I would just used Windows Defender.

But if you want a third party AV. We use Eset at work and it has been extremely lightweight I don't even notice it is running most of the time.  

And it has save a few of our users from being infected.

windows defender is fairly decent (and free), there's bitdefender too which is pretty great (and has a free option), and malwarebytes pro (paid) 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, cyberphy said:

6 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

my biggest tip is use an adblocker (disable it on certain websites like LTT no malicious ads on here)

the times where you could help small sites by keeping ads on are long gone and it looks like the whole system is getting more and more unfair towards small sites.

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

well its against the COC to use adblock on this website. so i made sure to let him know to unblock it if he gets adblock, (he he doesn't have it) 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

well its against the COC to use adblock on this website.

it is WHAT?

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

it is WHAT?

im pretty sure, unless they changed it. 

Spoiler

Thanks for all of the help guys I guess i will use windows Defender and I will use an ad-blocker without any website exceptions as I really hate ads 

Want to stop all viruses dead in their tracks?

Run as a limited user. No install rights for viruses to use in their drive-by attempts at infection.

No noscript and heavy adblockers.

Bang, no need for A/V

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 hours ago, kb5zue said:

malwarebytes

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

3 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

i just use windows defender and malwarebytes, and have no issues.

my biggest tip is use an adblocker (disable it on certain websites like LTT no malicious ads on here), and dont download files you dont know or open sketchy emails. 

3 hours ago, cyberphy said:

Then you'll be fine with Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Premium (the PAID version) of MBAM. Despite it being called MalwareBytes, it does scan for certain viruses. Defender is a good general purpose anti-virus built into Windows now. Combine that with MBAM Premium and CommonSense™ and you're usually pretty darn safe. I've been using this combination for 5+ years without a problem.

3 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

well its against the COC to use adblock on this website. so i made sure to let him know to unblock it if he gets adblock, (he he doesn't have it) 

I don't see anything about blocking ads in the CoC. Even if there were terms there, I'd still not remove uBlock Origin, since 3rd party ad networks are very susceptible to malicious infection, and I'm not using my bandwidth to load ads.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

29 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I don't see anything about blocking ads in the CoC.

neither did i. 

29 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I'd still not remove uBlock Origin, since 3rd party ad networks are very susceptible to malicious infection, and I'm not using my bandwidth to load ads.

same here ... if LTT is putting their own, self hosted ads (like LTX, floatplane and such) on here, that's one thing (and i think those do not even get blocked) but one can NOT trust any random 3rd parties to be 100% clean.

and also, as you said: bandwith is precious. 

For free users, I'll usually recommend Avira or Avast, while Bitdefender has the best paid security suites right now.

You can of course use Windows Defender, but other than being really silent, it's a rather inefficient anitivirus with some of the more shady detection rates. It's by no means a good antivirus, and a lot of free alteratives can easily outperform it in almost every other way, but people tend to overlook detection rates and efficiency as long as it just shuts up.

A lot of people are probably correct in the sense that you probably won't need anything hard-hitting like a full-fledged secuirty suite unless you're doing important work or surfing shady websites, but if you're resorting to Windows Defender, you should probably just get one of the more popular free anitiviruses that are available. Windows Defender may even slow down your computer more than competing solutions, especially if you're downloading a lot of larger files and folders. Windows Defender is notorious for making your computer unresponsive while downloading and scanning larger files.