Go to solution Solved by Squilliam,

I'd say no bottleneck CPU wise at all. 

The 970 is still a great 1080p card.

If anything go 1070 and 8GB more RAM.

I submit this video for evidence:

1. Budget & Location

My budget is dependant on the answer, and in $NZD

2. Aim

My aim is to speed up my computer in games. Games being broad as I play a wide range e.g. Wildlands, PubG, Assetto Corsa, Battlefield, NFS, Overwatch, Dying Light so a good mix of GPU speed and texture storage is needed

At the moment it is as fast as I need for things like coding and photoshop but is starting to get a tad slow in some of the newer games.

3. Monitors

I currently have 2x 1920x1080p 60hz and 1x 1440x900 60hz (but I am thinking of upgrading the smaller one to a 120/144hz curved screen at maybe 2k res that I will use as my main solo gaming monitor)

I normally just game on one screen except for Assetto Corsa as driving sims are so much better with tri screen

4. Peripherals

none

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am starting to no longer be able to run games at 60 fps solid at high settings anymore and I'm wanting to upgrade to a 120/144hz monitor but don't want to have to lower the quality so I'm gonna need to upgrade my graphics card. The only problem is I don't know if the rest of my PC will hold the new graphics card back and if ill need to fit that into my budget as ill either be able to afford a 1080 with nothing else or a 1070 plus the other stuff.

Current Specs

cpu: Intel i7 4770 (non k yes i know I was stupid back when I got it)

mb: Gigabyte Z87-HD3

ram: 8gb Kingston 1600mhz (if I don't have to upgrade everything else and go to ddr4 I will probably upgrade to 16gb ddr3 as my friend will sell me some cheap)

gpu: Gigabyte 970 G1

ssd: 2x

hdd: 2x

So basically my question is will I be able to get away with putting a 1080 in my system or will either my motherboard / CPU hold back its full potential

image.png.e2ac9c4d590c7845179cbc1a56214cad.png

image.png.5a5fb41e67a4f82d73e235129250e23f.png

I think so but it's not really anything to worry about imo.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Probably a little bit of one depending on the game but Intel really hasn't made much progress in the way of 4C/8T performance when it comes right down to it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I submit this video for evidence:

Yep. Get a 1070 and more RAM. 8gb is going to become the bare minimum in the near future.

17 hours ago, Squilliam said:

I have just barely enough to get a 1080 and 16gb of ram I just can't afford a 1080 if I have to get a new cpu+mb+ram

But thanks for the video ill look into seeing if I could maybe upgrade to the k version for not too expensive as both those CPUs in the video were like 4.9+ whereas mine only boosts to 3.9

18 hours ago, G4Frost said:

. . .

So basically my question is will I be able to get away with putting a 1080 in my system or will either my motherboard / CPU hold back its full potential

. . .

Does it really matter if the full potential of the gpu is not realized so long as you get better performance than is currently being produced?

My suggestion is to get the gpu and try it out. Then start saving for a new system.I wouldn't bother with more memory unless it becomes a real issue, it shouldn't. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, G4Frost said:

I have just barely enough to get a 1080 and 16gb of ram I just can't afford a 1080 if I have to get a new cpu+mb+ram

But thanks for the video ill look into seeing if I could maybe upgrade to the k version for not too expensive as both those CPUs in the video were like 4.9+ whereas mine only boosts to 3.9

I'm not sure about the 4770K, but I have the 4790k, and these CPUs cost almost the same used as they do new. Really no sense in getting a new CPU on the same socket. If you're going to get new ram, cpu, and video card... Just go up to a newer generation with DDR4. You'll end up paying not much more.

My final recommendation of cash isn't that much of an issue is RAM and a 1070 ti, which when overclocked, performs better than a stock 1080.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:39 AM, Squilliam said:

I'm not sure about the 4770K, but I have the 4790k, and these CPUs cost almost the same used as they do new. Really no sense in getting a new CPU on the same socket. If you're going to get new ram, cpu, and video card... Just go up to a newer generation with DDR4. You'll end up paying not much more.

My final recommendation of cash isn't that much of an issue is RAM and a 1070 ti, which when overclocked, performs better than a stock 1080.

Update: I found a really cheap second hand (5 months old so still has 6 months on the warranty) Gigabyte 1080 G1 edition (RRP $900 in my area and I got it for $650) which I have now got and so I bought the extra 16GB of ram off my friend. I'll just run this until I have the money to go up to a 7700k (i will get a k this time hahah) or something around there that is DDR4 like you reccomended

12 hours ago, G4Frost said:

Update: I found a really cheap second hand (5 months old so still has 6 months on the warranty) Gigabyte 1080 G1 edition (RRP $900 in my area and I got it for $650) which I have now got and so I bought the extra 16GB of ram off my friend. I'll just run this until I have the money to go up to a 7700k (i will get a k this time hahah) or something around there that is DDR4 like you reccomended

Super happy for you dude! Enjoy!