Upgrade a hp laptop (more than 5 years) to ssd

Dave9292
Go to solution Solved by Fate,

I think it'll be worth it... because even if you upgrade to a new laptop in a few years you can take that ssd with you.

Hi!

I have a HP HDX 16 bought 5 years ago, it has an intel core 2 duo clocked at 2.26 Ghz and Nvidia 9600GT with 512 MB and 4 Gb of RAM and 320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm With these specs I can run FIFA maxed, and Assassins Creed at a reasonable quality.

I was wondering if an upgrade to an ssd would make my system faster considering the old hardware it has, I need at least the same space than now, around 300 gb. I have no idea even if its possible to install a ssd. I just want to know if the improvement is worth the money or if its better to save it for a new laptop in the future

I know the limitations of my laptop compared to new pc's but i like this computer a lot. Also i'm unnable to upgrade to pc cause i need some portabilty xD, and I have no need for a new laptop

All I did was say to my wife, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

Hi!

I have a HP HDX 16 bought 5 years ago, it has an intel core 2 duo clocked at 2.26 Ghz and Nvidia 9600GT with 512 MB and 4 Gb of RAM and 320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm With these specs I can run FIFA maxed, and Assassins Creed at a reasonable quality.

I was wondering if an upgrade to an ssd would make my system faster considering the old hardware it has, I need at least the same space than now, around 300 gb. I have no idea even if its possible to install a ssd. I just want to know if the improvement is worth the money or if its better to save it for a new laptop in the future

I know the limitations of my laptop compared to new pc's but i like this computer a lot. Also i'm unnable to upgrade to pc cause i need some portabilty xD, and I have no need for a new laptop

itll make every day tasks and such much faster and snappier yes. it will not increase your gaming performance (fps wise) although if u put a game on it then the loading screens should be alot faster

That's not a bad laptop, I think It would be worth it yes. It should be fully compatible.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I think it'll be worth it... because even if you upgrade to a new laptop in a few years you can take that ssd with you.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That's not a bad laptop, I think It would be worth it yes. It should be fully compatible.

itll make every day tasks and such much faster and snappier yes. it will not increase your gaming performance (fps wise) although if u put a game on it then the loading screens should be alot faster

Thank you guys for the response!

The idea of being able to use the ssd in the future is definitely the winning point to change, the next thing is wich ssd should i buy? Will it be necessary to buy an adaptor or something?

I really appreciate your help!

All I did was say to my wife, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

The idea of being able to use the ssd in the future is definitely the winning point to change, the next thing is wich ssd should i buy? Will it be necessary to buy an adaptor or something?

No need for an adapter.

What size of a ssd are you going for? Where are you located/shopping from? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You either need to choose between 250GB or 480GB. The Samsung 840 EVO is a great drive as long as it will fit in your laptop. Otherwise Sandisk has some good notebook offerings.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

No need for an adapter.

What size of a ssd are you going for? Where are you located/shopping from? Budget?

I'm from Spain ( you may notice my "english" ) I need around 300 Gb, I do know that ssd come in 256 and 500 Gb usually but my space needs are covered by 300 Gb like now. Here in Spain electronics are much more expensive than in the US. So i would like a medium range model.

I ' ve been looking to the 250GB Samsung 840 Series but i think that wont be enough for me, and 500 Gb is sooooo expensive

Surprisingly that ssd has the best euro/ Gb ratio in Spain

I'm from Spain ( you may notice my "english" ) I need around 300 Gb, I do know that ssd come in 256 and 500 Gb usually but my space needs are covered by 300 Gb like now. Here in Spain electronics are much more expensive than in the US. So i would like a medium range model.

I ' ve been looking to the 250GB Samsung 840 Series but i think that wont be enough for me, and 500 Gb is sooooo expensive

Surprisingly that ssd has the best euro/ Gb ratio in Spain

The 840 is a solid choice. Just get whatever size you can. 

You could look into getting a smaller 120/128GB ssd and a hdd caddy to replace the optical drive and have 2 drives in the system. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.