I just purchased Witcher 3! [GOTY edition]

mark_p8

Play the prequel?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I play the prequel of the game or not?

• Yes!
    • No.

After seeing it on sale on Steam and hours before the end of sale, I finally purchased the game! I see that it the Game of the Year edition contains all the DLC that has beed released so I saved so many on that one.

After sucking at multiplayer games(CS:GO, PUBG, DOTA2) I finally decided to purchase this game and just enjoy the story of it, someone told me that this game will consume a big chunk of my time, but that's okay because I don't have anything to do after work so I guess just relax and play this game. I did not install it yet because my internet here at home is slow AF (3mbps), so I will download it next week at work when we resume after the holiday.

I still have  some change from purchasing this game because it is so cheap, so I am thinking if I should buy the prequel of this game and play those before playing this. What is your thoughts about it?

I decided to create this thread because I am so excited to play the game!

I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

I would recommend playing the two previous games but it's far from essential. 

The Witcher 3 does a pretty good job at explaining the story so far and the story itself is pretty self contained. 

You can also import your saved games from previous games, so that the choices you made carries over, but the changes are pretty minuscule.

Although, I will say that the first Witcher game is pretty terrible and should really only be played to get a sense of the story and characters. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You don't need to play 1&2.

That said, the 3 definitely has ties with previous games and books but it does a good job introducing all characters and mentions to the new players.

The first game has an amazing story but graphics was really dated even when it released and gameplay is really, really bad.

The second game is a lot better gameplay wise but not as good as the 3rd game.

Alternatively, you can watch YT videos of summary from the 1st and 2nd game and I highly recommend you to read the novels if you like books.

9 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I would recommend playing the two previous games but it's far from essential. 

The Witcher 3 does a pretty good job at explaining the story so far and the story itself is pretty self contained. 

You can also import your saved games from previous games, so that the choices you made carries over, but the changes are pretty minuscule.

Although, I will say that the first Witcher game is pretty terrible and should really only be played to get a sense of the story and characters. 

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You don't need to play 1&2.

That said, the 3 definitely has ties with previous games and books but it does a good job introducing all characters and mentions to the new players.

The first game has an amazing story but graphics was really dated even when it released and gameplay is really, really bad.

The second game is a lot better gameplay wise but not as good as the 3rd game.

Alternatively, you can watch YT videos of summary from the 1st and 2nd game and I highly recommend you to read the novels if you like books.

Even though your response is not the same, maybe what I will do is, just buy the prequel and then play it soon. Just like LOTR did on their release of "The Hobits" They tell the story on how it all happened after seeing the trilogy of LOTR. I enjoyed that movie, I just recently had the time to watch the LOTR trilogy and the first one of the Hobits. (sorry for off-topic on my own post :D)

You will experience witcher3 different if you know the first two Games.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Yes you should, because why not, Witcher 2 was pretty damn awesome story wise and was a pretty good looking game while at it. However, it is not required in too big a way to play in terms of the story ark. It was also not a full blown AAA experience like Witcher 3, almost eurojank even, with a real tough learning curve and janky combat, still very well done story wise, but not essential.

The first one is unplayable, it'll feel a little too vintage, not great graphics, weird combat etc

Maybe watch a youtube cutscene story clip compil of the past 2 games if you want, but that's not required either. Enjoy the game, one of the best RPGs ever, been playing for a couple years, and still have the DLCs to finish.

14 minutes ago, strat guy said:

The first one is unplayable, it'll feel a little too vintage, not great graphics, weird combat etc

Witcher 1 has the best combat system and skill tree of all 3 Games. As much as i love WItcher 3, its combat was dumbed down and waaayyyyy to easy. No challenge at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, Praesi said:

Witcher 1 has the best combat system and skill tree of all 3 Games. As much as i love WItcher 3, its combat was dumbed down and waaayyyyy to easy. No challenge at all.

Hmm, possible, didn't play it when it first came out and bought 1 and 2 in a bundle later, around 2013 or so and 1 felt a little dated graphics wise so I just moved on to 2. OP might feel differently and may want to play the first 2 before jumping into 3. You're right about the combat in 3 though, not very challenging at all, more so if you spend your skill points wisely.

the story in both is fantastic.

but honestly, the first one is shit and unplayable, and the second one, while not as bad, doesnt really hold up imo.

read the books if you want the story

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 01/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, mark_p8 said:

After seeing it on sale on Steam and hours before the end of sale, I finally purchased the game! I see that it the Game of the Year edition contains all the DLC that has beed released so I saved so many on that one.

After sucking at multiplayer games(CS:GO, PUBG, DOTA2) I finally decided to purchase this game and just enjoy the story of it, someone told me that this game will consume a big chunk of my time, but that's okay because I don't have anything to do after work so I guess just relax and play this game. I did not install it yet because my internet here at home is slow AF (3mbps), so I will download it next week at work when we resume after the holiday.

I still have  some change from purchasing this game because it is so cheap, so I am thinking if I should buy the prequel of this game and play those before playing this. What is your thoughts about it?

I decided to create this thread because I am so excited to play the game!

You have gone and done the right thing friend! - Love love love this game and I'm the same, not a huge fan of PvP games, normally get left way behind. This is arguably one of the best western action RPG's around. If you are new to action RPG it might take a bit of getting used to - more so that adventure RPG's like Skyrim etc, but its definitely worth it. Enjoy!

Playing playing playing

On 11/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, WereCat said:

Alternatively, you can watch YT videos of summary from the 1st and 2nd game

Any recommended channels?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Thanks for all of your response, I will be playing this tonight. I hope to wake up early for work for tomorrow though hahahaha