Questions about building a PFSense box

swansburg

hello everyone,

recently i relised i have started to get a good pile of old pc parts that aren't really worth enough to sell so i figured i would give it a try and try to build a pf sense router, why not? 

-So, since it is a router does that been you would still have the normal modem with the cable line plugged into it to get the internet. Then just have an ethernet cable going from the normal modem to the pf sense box?

-What would i need to let me give out a wifi signal from the router, i dont use wifi for much since it is just better and faster to just wire everything like my pc directly using nic cards in the router. Though it would be nice to have for my phone and any other devices that happen to be in the house.

I'm sure ill have more questions later on but if anyone could help me out with these that would be appreciated, thanks guys.

alright. so could i take the ethernet from the modem and plug it into the on board lan port and then use the two ports on the nic card for my computers?

pfsense has bad wifi support, if you want to do wireless with it buy a separate AP and hook it up to the box.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Hello swansburg

1. Yes, you can connect the ethernet cable from your modem to pfsense

2. As ruffee said, buy separate AP to use as wifi hotspot, you can use whatever you want, only you have to enable switch mode ! ;)