displaying a binary number sequence

JimmyJimJam

does anyone know how i would go about modifiing a curcuit to display a binary number sequence?

Basically im trying to display a number using a leds rather than using a segment led. I was thinking something along the lines of a decoder to allow the inputs with the sequence to go thought.

Anyone got any other ideas? 

Thanks

On 10/30/2017 at 2:04 AM, JimmyJimJam said:

does anyone know how i would go about modifiing a curcuit to display a binary number sequence?

Basically im trying to display a number using a leds rather than using a segment led. I was thinking something along the lines of a decoder to allow the inputs with the sequence to go thought.

Anyone got any other ideas? 

Thanks

Binary coded decimal to 7-segment decoders exist as off-the-shelf parts but the opposite does not exist afaik. It would be rather easy to do with a small microcontroller but failing that the only solution I see is to build something manually using transistors and diodes, it would quickly become a complex circuit tough.

Use each of the 7 segment signals to drive a transistor, then use that transistor's output to drive the corresponding leds in your binary display trough a diode for each LED. The diode prevents the signals backtravelling to other leds.

If you want to go from binary to decimal then use a 74LS138. They're made for that purpose. If you want to go from decimal to binary then use a custom made E(E)PROM. You can flash ROMs to replace combinatorical circuits. 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

It would be easier to just program a microcontroller to take the input from whatever shows the number on seven segment digits and convert it to binary and turn on or off the appropriate leds for binary.

it could be a bit complicated if the thing uses multiplexing to drive multiple digits with fewer pins because then the device would turn on one digit and send the seven segments for a few ms, then turn off the digit and turn on the next digit and so on , until it goes through each digit and loops back to first.

So your microcontroller would have to wait until it receives the data from all digits to get the number in memory "for example digits 1, 2 and 3 form the number 123 in memory which becomes 111 1011 in binary"