Internet stops working for my housemate when I leave the house

Jaseow

Hi all

I have a weird issue with my wifi at home affecting one of my housemates.

So basically my setup is :

Modem – netcomm basic provided by ISP out in hall (bridged mode) Connected via EoP to an Archer D9 (router mode) in my room. All devices connect fine to the wifi. All my devices work without a hitch

However my housemate says whenever I leave the house the internet goes dead for him and he cant connect to any webpages. (He is still connected to the wifi)

And when I get home he can use the internet again.

Most times the only thing that would have changed is my iphone disconnecting from the wifi when I leave and reconnecting back to the wifi when I get home.

I have heard of devices causing the internet to drop when it connects to the wifi but this seems to be a reverse case where the internet only works when I am home and my housemate cannot use the internet when I am out?

My devices still work fine as I can be downloading something on my laptop when i leave and when I get home the download is complete

Anyone have any clues or ideas what could be causing this?

Do you turn off a lightswitch in your room when you leave? Maybe that's turning something off you don't realize?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Perhaps he´s connecting to the internet via your phone.  What happens when you turn the phone off and don´t leave?

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Do you turn off a lightswitch in your room when you leave? Maybe that's turning something off you don't realize?

Nothing is getting turned off. 

Yesterday when I returned home and before I even stepped foot in my room he was telling me the internet was not working again. 

But when he tried to use his phone and laptop again the moment I got home (before even touching my room door or entering my room) it all magically worked fine for him 

4 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Perhaps he´s connecting to the internet via your phone.  What happens when you turn the phone off and don´t leave?

I sure hope this is not the cause because if it is, he is going to kill your data plan with your phone service provider.

3 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Thats not the case. When I leave he is still connected to the wifi. The internet just doesnt work. 

I have tried turning airplane mode on my phone when I am home and internet works fine for him still

"Doesn´t work" doesn´t say much; there are many different ways in which something can not work.

Turning your phone into an airplane doesn´t turn it off, you need to remove the battery.

You can also make another test by leaving your phone at home and leaving.

So, just to confirm, if you literally walk out of the house, without turning off any switches and also leaving your phone in the house, the internet stops working for your friend?

If you connect the router to the modem directly instead of via the EoP adaptors, does the same behavior still exist?

Have your housemate run the following while you are home, and again when you are gone and the internet stops working:

• ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever IP you use to access the router’s settings)
  • ping 8.8.8.8
  • Nslookup google.com
  • ping google.com

the pings should have have 0% loss, and the nslookup should return a bunch of IPs for google.

Is your friend accessing via the main wireless, or the guest network wireless? If its the guest wireless, is there a schedule defined for when it is enabled and disabled?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

So, just to confirm, if you literally walk out of the house, without turning off any switches and also leaving your phone in the house, the internet stops working for your friend?

I have not tried leaving my phone in the house. Shall try that and update

8 minutes ago, Jaseow said:

I have not tried leaving my phone in the house. Shall try that and update

Please do, because if your wifi network knows where you are(not just your devices) then something is very very wrong *spooky music plays*

UPDATE: 

So i tried “forgetting network” on my iphone and restarted it. 

And connected back to the wifi again and it seems to have fixed the problem (for now) 

Hopefully the issue doesnt happen again. Still not sure how it caused the internet for my housemate to not work. Oh well...