Power Color 290 overheating/black screen

stereophonie

Ok guys I know the 290 is supposed to run extremely hot and I also know that it is loud but the Non-reference Power Color card I'm testing right now for my friends build is reaching 96 degrees and producing a black screen (even after only 10 minutes of gaming on BF4/Crysis 3). I can moderate the fan speed with MSI Afterburner and keep a good temp but I would hate to think I need to tell my friend to do this before each and every gaming session. Especially since the card itself sounds like a jet engine when putting it above anything other than 50%. When not running MSI it sounds as if the card itself is not moderating the fan control as their seems to be no difference in sound (tested with the sides off). I told him to buy the Define R4 so it's got a good airflow but is only running the stock fans that come with the case itself. Should a card running at stock speeds be running so hot? Do you think it may be faulty? Also do you think going out tomorrow and buying 3 more 120mm fans will improve airflow and stop the card from overheating? I can't understand why when the card reaches mega temps it doesn't change fan speed automatically, unless I'm being stupid and totally missing something. Any input would be much appreciated.

Just to add, no overclocking has been done at all and infact the RAM is 2300MHz but only running at 1866. Also it's a Cooler Master 700W PSU so it's more than enough for this card.

Are you using the latest drivers?

And... Really non-reference?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Sorry guys I meant reference card from Power Color, we started drinking half way through the build about 5 hours ago so please forgive me. And yes the latest Drivers 13.11 beta. 

I'm 100% sure that it isn't a non-ref card. It's impossible, unless you work for a manufacturer, and ref cards are suppose to be at 95c.

At the Moment AMD is have severe problems with the Elphida memory on the cards. It most likely will be fixed with later Drivers

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

I'm 100% sure that it isn't a non-ref card. It's impossible, unless you work for a manufacturer, and ref cards are suppose to be at 95c.

At the Moment AMD is have severe problems with the Elphida memory on the cards. It most likely will be fixed with later Drivers

I did apologize, it is a reference card, despite driver problems though should I really be getting crashes from 10-15 minute gaming sessions? I feel the card may be defective as I can't hear any change in fan speed as I'm gaming, yet if I manually set the fan seed up past 50% it goes like a dream, albeit incredibly loud.