Is this file a malware or virus?

Varpin

Hello!

I'm trying to do a thing with VoiceMeeter Banana and I need a second audio virtual cable for my thing to work. My friend linked me a download to a virtual cable that he found and when I put it to virustotal it comes up with this:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/78a3dae69d38f8d5144330538bfba2d29910837a38577f1affe016fa9c79e39a/detection - is that a virus or no? 

Thank you! :)

EDIT: I pit a picture down below

virustotal.png

if you think it could possibly be a virus, why would you link it here for us to download and possibly infect our systems??

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

if you think it could possibly be a virus, why would you link it here for us to download and possibly infect our systems??

It isn't the file what I linked, it's virustotal where you can scan files. I just showed my result.

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Virustotal showed the data on the file, it's not a link to the file itself.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

1 minute ago, Varpin said:

It isn't the file what I linked, it's virustotal where you can scan files. I just showed my result.

i believe its safe to download 

2 minutes ago, Varpin said:

Its a virus most likely 

fresh install windows and get it off or you might not be the admin on that pc, and get files stolen 

Most downloads are viruses

(better safe then sorry)

Edited by Haeking

Just now, legacy99 said:

Its not the actual file its the report from virus total on the scan of the file.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

When I have odd files that I need - I sandbox them via a virtual machine (download the file to it, disable network adapter rights - then unzip and take a look). If it looks alright, then enable network back - and upload the unzipped filed you need, if there's other ones - delete them.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

1 minute ago, Haeking said:

Its a virus most likely 

fresh install windows and get it off or you might not be the admin on that pc, and get files stolen 

Most downloads are viruses

What about if I haven't installed it yet?

1 minute ago, EvilTidaLWaveZ said:

Is your detection saying that only one source recognizes it as malicious?

Yea that's what totalvirus shows

1 minute ago, Varpin said:

Yea that's what totalvirus shows

I can't say for sure, but it seems like a false positive to me. What do the details say?

I can't say for sure, but it seems like a false positive to me. What do the details say?

That's weird... When I click on the link, some antivirus softwares say that it's clean and some say "Unable to process file type" but nothing about that it might be a virus or something... So I guess it's clean then?

2 minutes ago, Varpin said:

That's weird... When I click on the link, some antivirus softwares say that it's clean and some say "Unable to process file type" but nothing about that it might be a virus or something... So I guess it's clean then?

Can you view the files without extracting?

I uninstalled it already just in case, but I guess I could download it again

7 minutes ago, EvilTidaLWaveZ said:

Or I can't download it again... I don't have the download link anymore

Considering only one out of 60 flagged it as malicious and that only has a 83% certainty, I'd have to say that it isn't malware or a virus.

I would need to see the site you are downloading from. But assuming you already use VB-Audio's thing, I found this http://jackaudio.org/ as alternative. The Virtual Audio Cable (or VAC) is paid software. So if your friend found free edition which isn't trial, its pirated/cracked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Let's make a more rational analysis of the scan results instead of making the usual "Omfg VIRUS" assumptions like a lot of people seems to be doing when presented with these results.

First of all, the detection rate here is 1/60. That's not really a good enough detetction rate in order to categorize a file as malware due to how often false positives occur. Second, the file was detected by a new anti-malware product, while undetected by any major vendor. That coupled with the fact that we're not actually getting a hit on any malware signatures (it looks like a result of some heuristic analysis of the software, resulting in a match for some malware-like characteristics which doesn't neccessarily equal malware) makes it less likely that the file in question is actually malicious. 

Personally, I don't think the evidence is pointing towards the file being malicious, but of course, you can never know for sure. I'd recommend that you reupload the file to VirusTotal in case of signature/heuristic engine updates. False positives sometimes pass after updates to VirusTotal's products.

• 3 weeks later...

i installed voicemeeter too ,after unsinstalling it im having fps drop and cpu overload when changing audio volume ,any help?