What's a good stable 5.0 ghz overclock on a 7700k

Hello guys so i'm trying to overclock my i7 7700k to 5.0 ghz i have a h100i v2 Corsair liquid cooler i know that cooler can get 5.0 ghz stable for sure but everytime i change the voltage to somewhere around 1.3 since thats the usual voltage for 5.0 ghz according to people i just get a black screen and the pc restarts i tried multiple voltage settings is it to low or to high i can't really tell if anyone has similar specs to be please let me know what's a good stable voltage for 5.0 ghz. Also

even the safe overclock 5.0 ghz doesn't even work the cpu upgrade menu in the bios for 5.0 ghz preset for 7700k has the same issue with just restarting pc over and over the good thing is i can still enter the bios once it restarts to fix the overclock.

Here are my specs

PC SPECS

1. Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1080 FTW2
  2. Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2-4.5 ghz
  3. Gigabyte Z270X - Ultra Gaming
  4. 64 GB Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 Mhz DDR4
  5. Samsung NVME 960 Evo M.2 250GB
  6. WD Blue 250GB SATA III SSD
  7. HDD 1TB 
  8. Thermaltake C21 RGB Case
  9. Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 Watts 80 Plus Gold Modular ATX Power Supply 
  10. H100i V2 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler

Usually in the bios you can get it done automatically.

I have a very similar specs to yours. Actually same CPU and GPU (and now that I look also same water cooling and M.2. I only have an asus trix for motherboard and 16gb ram. And a Thermaltake Core P5 for case) 

And if you want my personal opinion... Depending to what you're gonna be using the computer the CPU overclock is worthless in terms of gaming. Did the tests myself. Gained nothing from CPU overclocking.

Meanwhile with the GPU overclock alone gained about 3-5 fps (I have an already overclocked stock GPU, just overclocked it a little bit more, that's why only 5 fps gain manually overclocking it) :) 

There is no such thing as "usual voltage".

Every CPU is different, that's why it's called a silicon lottery.

Just because someone else's CPU can get 5GHz at 1.3v does not mean yours can.

Obviously it can't, and you either need to reduce the frequency or increase the voltage further.

It there is no guarantee that an H100i will get you 5GHz for the 7700k.

It sounds to me like you need to do a bit more research on overclocking before you try frying your CPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Periods are a thing. Use them.

2. Try starting with lower clocks and working your way up to 5GHz.

1 minute ago, Karl Sven said:

Usually in the bios you can get it done automatically.

Don't do that.

2 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

And if you want my personal opinion... Depending to what you're gonna be using the computer the CPU overclock is worthless in terms of gaming. Did the tests myself. Gained nothing from CPU overclocking.

Meanwhile with the GPU overclock alone gained about 3-5 fps :) 

GPU-limited games are certainly not representative of all games. There are pleanty of games that benefit from faster processors and saying that a faster CPU is worthless in terms of gaming is flat out wrong.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It sounds to me like you need to do a bit more research on overclocking before you try frying your CPU.

+1

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There is no such thing as "usual voltage".

Every CPU is different, that's why it's called a silicon lottery.

Just because someone else's CPU can get 5GHz at 1.3v does not mean yours can.

Obviously it can't, and you either need to reduce the frequency or increase the voltage further.

It there is no guarantee that an H100i will get you 5GHz for the 7700k.

That's why suggested an automatic overclock throw the motherboards or software already in the PC. Cause it will test where the silicon let you go without frying anything :) 

5 minutes ago, {GPG} Waka Flocka Flame said:

You should delid that CPU and drop your temps by up to 20C

See how high you can get at 1.3V, but I don't know what a good daily driver voltage for Kaby Lake is. But ya if it's crashing it's not stable, lower the frequency.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Karl Sven said:

That's why suggested an automatic overclock throw the motherboards or software already in the PC. Cause it will test where the silicon let you go without frying anything :) 

Please no, Auto overclocking will murder your CPU/VRM with it's insane voltage

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

1. Periods are a thing. Use them.

2. Try starting with lower clocks and working your way up to 5GHz.

Don't do that.

GPU-limited games are certainly not representative of all games. There are pleanty of games that benefit from faster processors and saying that a faster CPU is worthless in terms of gaming is flat out wrong.

+1

I gave a suggestion for someone I consider new in terms of overclocking because of the question itself. And no, for the issues having to overclock a CPU the gain is minimal compare to GPU overclocking still.

But if you want to pin point or enter a discussion about gains in FPS or game testing we can talk.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Tried it myself, didn't fried anything. Did tons of research before doing it. I would NEVER suggest something I didn't tried myself in terms of overclock. Trying to help not to kill anyone's CPU.

Not all chips will clock as high as 5ghz. Running a 7700k potato here that just won't go past 4.8 but 4.8 is pretty fast too. I tried, but  have since gone back to stock because I just don't need the performance, stock @ 4.5 turbo is fine for now.

1 minute ago, Karl Sven said:

Tried it myself, didn't fried anything. Did tons of research before doing it. I would NEVER suggest something I didn't tried myself in terms of overclock. Trying to help not to kill anyone's CPU.

Auto overclocking is always bad and not worth doing. It always applies far too much voltage

Spoiler

Auto overclock does exactly what needs to be done (AGAIN IN CASE YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR DOING IT, and as far as the poster sounds.... he looks like someone entering the overclocking area. So learning how to do it properly manually would be actually more dangerous) aplying more voltage in little steps until it fails and coming back to the last stable voltage known.

And yes, you can get more profit doing it manually, but like this you save yourself actually for frying anything. But hey, is just a humble opinion on personal testing on my own computer.

As outlined previously it depends on the chip. I get the 7700k stable and great at about 1.23 v @4.9. Not the greatest chip but  that is still about 20% increase over stock if my math is right! I live with that!

32 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

Auto overclock does exactly what needs to be done (AGAIN IN CASE YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR DOING IT, and as far as the poster sounds.... he looks like someone entering the overclocking area. So learning how to do it properly manually would be actually more dangerous) aplying more voltage in little steps until it fails and coming back to the last stable voltage known.

And yes, you can get more profit doing it manually, but like this you save yourself actually for frying anything. But hey, is just a humble opinion on personal testing on my own computer.

It really doesn't do what it needs to do, it just blasts your CPU with way too much voltage trying to get a slight OC, you will not fry your chip going manual, you may damage something using automatic overclocking in the long term. The best thing to do is to start at stock voltage and see how far you can get on that, then gradually increase the voltage until you get to the frequency you want, or until you hit the limit of recommended overclocking voltage. Which is maybe 1.4V for daily use from a quick look around.

MSI's auto voltage for one murders the CPU with 1.5V for the automatic OC, as reported here
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/motherboards/42642-msi-pushes-core-i7-7700k-to-5-2ghz-automatically

"The demo system included the MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium motherboard, G.Skill's F4-4000 DDR4 memory kit, and a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate liquid CPU cooler with triple-fan 360/420mm radiator. During the demonstration, the system managed to get a stable 5.2GHz overclock by setting the Game Boost to 11. This CPU voltage was set to work with 52x 100MHz multiplier/base-clock setting with a voltage set at 1.507V. "

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

auto overclocking is actually the safest but in my case the 5.0 ghz preset in the bios doesn't work i probably need to set the voltage manually to a correct 1 

5 minutes ago, {GPG} Waka Flocka Flame said:

auto overclocking is actually the safest but in my case the 5.0 ghz preset in the bios doesn't work i probably need to set the voltage manually to a correct 1 

And in this scenario it appears ASUS's auto voltage was potentially blasting Ryzen with 1.5V

https://community.amd.com/thread/213610

Spoiler

4.5 to 5.0 ghz is a big difference and i know my cooler is capable of reaching 5.0 ghz stable. The h100i v2 is good cooler a lot of people reached 5.0 ghz with that so why can't i i'm obviously missing something. If anyone has the same cooler and processor let me know what's your stable overclock with the voltage the auto overclock for 5.0 ghz didn't work just restarted the pc also deliding is unnecessary don't even

That Asus software pegged my chip at the same overclock...ie 4.9....but at way too much volts. That isn't safe for the longevity of your chip. 

It's called a lottery because some chips just won't do 5.0. I've one of those chips. Try manual. You probably find the same thing. 

It is the way it is...you can force more volts in but heat will cruel your chip in the long run. 

Simply put. Not all 7700k chips will overclock the same and you might be chasing dreams.....

Now that i think of it my cooler is making like a fast clicking annoying sound maybe thats why i can't reach 5.0. Unless this noise is normal for liquid coolers which i doubt probably just a faulty 1 

7 hours ago, Karl Sven said:

Auto OCs pump too much voltage into the CPU and make temps get really hot.

A manual OC is a lot safer.

If he doesn't know how overclocking works he should not be doing it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020