Unique HTPC problem

Ok friends in the tech business and my most favored nerd conglomerate. I live in S. Korea, lots of content is restricted due to region so we need to use a VPN to run Hulu or Sling. I would like to build an HTPC to accommodate the replacement of my xbox one, which will move to my office shortly. The problem I have run into with my research is HTPC overkill, people putting $200 GPU's and core i7's in a $1300 build. My build needs to be able to download and play up to 4k video comfortably, surf the web, watch YouTube... ect. no gaming. Here is what I have as of right now, someone please let me know I am on the right track.

Fractal Design Node 202

Corsair SF450 

Ballistix Sport LT 2400 x 8gb

ASRock H270M-ITX/ac LGA 1151

Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.6

CRYORIG C7

Crucial MX300 275GB ssd 

Component Total : $540.89

Not sure what to do for the OS, I'd love feedback on that as well.

What about the newest generation / higher end Intel NUCs ? Hits all checkmarks, small, stylish, quiet (especially if you put your own case) ; but will cost a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5i7RYH-Barebone-System-BOXNUC5I7RYH/dp/B00WAS1FX6

EDIT: Actually for example the NUC6CAYH should be enough for 4K, and a lot cheaper (you still need to add storage, RAM and possibly a custom case); but I have no personal experience; I've just considered these NUCs for my own video playback needs. YMMV / do your own research / wait for other comments here ...

As for OS: Depends on your needs. I'd go with some Linux distribution and KODI with a web browser of your choice, but that's just me. If you need to use streaming services which use DRM, I believe Windows or OS X is the only way to go usually for anything >= 1080p. But I have not personal experience with DRM streaming, and things might have changed...

Edited by Wild Penquin
Information about cheaper NUCs

thats a decent spec, the C7 is a great cooler if you ask me too. performs better then the Noctua L9I and is still quiet and the BY FAR easiest cooler i have ever installed. id probably throw in a GT 1030 or something in that just to have a GPU for stuff that can be GPU accelerated and to get some actiuall settings for when monitors arent playing nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My HTPC plays 4K perfectly

I do actually have a Noctua NH-L9x65 I had spare as well

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H270N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($112.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($88.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($92.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $556.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-24 03:38 EDT-0400

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. Mostly just needed to verify the parts I had were good and that a dedicated GPU wasn't going to be necessary, I'll probably add one anyways, I think the gtx1030 would be good. 

The GTX1030 doesn't support 4K Netflix, but the Intel HD830 built into the KabyLake i3's does. Really you don't need a discreet GPU. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

This is something to consider: I wouldn't decode 4K video on the CPU because of thermal issues (which equates more cooling needs and noise). That does not include IGPs which can do HW decoding.

Generally, HW decoding is more efficient (in terms of used W = generated heat). Just make sure whatever you buy has good HW decoding capabilities!

From the above options, I'd go for the KabyLake (and forget a low-end dedicated GPU).

New problem/ proposal, I have an Asus laptop that I hate, using it for school while my computer is in transit.  Once my desktop is here and I start my build for the HTPC, I am hoping to use the SSD from my laptop as the boot drive for the HTPC and save myself a fast hundred on purchasing an OS. I have read some forums and the consensus is not clear. Some say it can be done and would work but might violate the Microsoft license, others say it won't work, drivers and such will not play nicely with new components. Any advice?

Well, it depends on the license you have for your Windows. Generally, laptops have one-off licenses, so you probably are violating a license in your case. Refer to your Windows license!

Also, it definitely is not a good idea to move a Windows installation to a new computer (motherboard) - especially from a laptop to a HTPC! Reinstall and restore user files and settings afterwards.

That being said, I haven't played with any Windows after and including 7. It may be possible (but unlikely) that newer windowses handle changing a motherboard in a more sensible way.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:55 AM, Blocherbomb said:

Ok friends in the tech business and my most favored nerd conglomerate. I live in S. Korea, lots of content is restricted due to region so we need to use a VPN to run Hulu or Sling. I would like to build an HTPC to accommodate the replacement of my xbox one, which will move to my office shortly. The problem I have run into with my research is HTPC overkill, people putting $200 GPU's and core i7's in a $1300 build. My build needs to be able to download and play up to 4k video comfortably, surf the web, watch YouTube... ect. no gaming. Here is what I have as of right now, someone please let me know I am on the right track.

Fractal Design Node 202

Corsair SF450 

Ballistix Sport LT 2400 x 8gb

ASRock H270M-ITX/ac LGA 1151

Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.6

CRYORIG C7

Crucial MX300 275GB ssd 

Component Total : $540.89

Not sure what to do for the OS, I'd love feedback on that as well.

Look for a different motherboard. That motherboard does not have a thunderbolt controller onboard, which is required to support UHD @ 60 Hz over the HDMI port for Intel GPUs. 

i dont know if u r still searching for parts or if u r already finished but i can highly recommend to go with a 7th generation Intel NUC. 

i decided to go with them for the following reasons: 

• The 7th generation is able to play 4k media easily 
    (i chose the Nuc 7 i5 with the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and 4096x2160 @ 60Hz:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/visual-technology/graphics-overview.html )
    With this hardware u r also able to stream 4k Netflix content
  • Connectivity: 
    Thunderbolt 3
    HDMI 2.0a (for me thats one of the most important connections bc if u use a TV and not a Monitor u normally only get HDMI)
    DP 1.2
    Usb 3.1
    and so on
  • Upgradeability - u can easily change RAM and the Drives (NVMe / 2,5 Inch HDD/SSD) 
  • Formfactor
    I use it in the Livingroom so i dont want a tower or anything like that standing around there
  • Noise
    The System is pretty silent - exactly what i want for a HTPC
  • Flexibility
    I run a full Windows 10 on there - so u can do anything u want with it 

To be honest i dont think there is any better choice for an HTPC. Before that i ran a full PC config and it was 'big' and loud. Even a XBOX or PS4 gets way louder than the Nuc. And i dont have any issuses with thermals ( it keeps in the low to mid 60 degrees Celcius)

I got mine now a couple of months and it runs smoothly 

No matter if i stream or watch media from HDD. 
I just added an external soundcard so i can go with a cinch connector into my amplifier. 

And in my Setup it runs with a 50 Inch 4k Samsung TV - no Problems til now. 

Cheers 
Hans-Linus