using a gtx 660 for just encoding

soksncrocs

so recently i gave my old stream PC to my father. I'm planning on getting back into streaming and i currently have a r5 1600, Rx 470 and 8 GB of ram, this really isn't enough to stream most of the games i want (i.e. pubg) but i do have a spare gtx 660 that i can use and i was thinking about putting it in my pc and using it to encode using NVENC. is this a viable option? if it is then how would i go about doing it? is it as simple s throwing the gtx 660 in there? thx

I don't know how the GTX 660 compares to my GT 710 but I record my streams locally using my GT 710 and with a high enough bitrate it's not horrible. :)

-KuJoe

I'm not sure if you can render on one card and encode on another, and if you can I suspect the performance won't be quite as good since stuff would have to move.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure if you can render on one card and encode on another, and if you can I suspect the performance won't be quite as good since stuff would have to move.

i have a friend who uses his 760 to encode and 1080ti to render games and has seen no drop, im just wondering if the 660 is capable of this because i know it has something to d o with dx12 and idk if the 660 is dx12 compatible 

3 minutes ago, soksncrocs said:

i have a friend who uses his 760 to encode and 1080ti to render games and has seen no drop, im just wondering if the 660 is capable of this because i know it has something to d o with dx12 and idk if the 660 is dx12 compatible 

I was able to record on my 660 just fine.  I don't think the version of direct X the game uses would matter tbh.  It gets rendered on one card then the finished frames are passed along for compression and that's separate.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, soksncrocs said:

so recently i gave my old stream PC to my father. I'm planning on getting back into streaming and i currently have a r5 1600, Rx 470 and 8 GB of ram, this really isn't enough to stream most of the games i want (i.e. pubg) but i do have a spare gtx 660 that i can use and i was thinking about putting it in my pc and using it to encode using NVENC. is this a viable option? if it is then how would i go about doing it? is it as simple s throwing the gtx 660 in there? thx

Yes, I did that with my old 780 Ti for a while. Kepler NVENC only supports up to 1080p 60 Hz or 1440p 30 Hz though.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, I did that with my old 780 Ti for a while. Kepler NVENC only supports up to 1080p 60 Hz or 1440p 30 Hz though.

well i only plan on streaming in 720p 60