starts at 1 ghz

my cpu starts at 1ghz then i restart it it clocks at the right speed (3.4ghz).

my specs are

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x6 1055t (Overclocked to 3.4ghz)

MOBO: msi 990FXA-GD65 (MS-7640)

RAM:Corsair Vengeance ddr3-1600

GPU:gtx 780 3gb

POWER SURPLY: corsair gs600

try a bios reset , and check if your bios version supports the cpu or if there was an update to fix the issue

if you let the machine boot when it says 1ghz , does it then show as 1ghz within windows?

Are you sure it isn't because of Speedstep/CoolnQuiet? It's when the CPU downclocks itself when it isn't being used to save on power. Usually, CPUs only go to their max speed when under load.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Are you sure it isn't because of Speedstep/CoolnQuiet? It's when the CPU downclocks itself when it isn't being used to save on power. Usually, CPUs only go to their max speed when under load.

its not coolnquiet

its actually in windows power options :) by default its set to between 5% and 100% clock speed (5% as minimum)

set either the minimum clock speed in windows to 100% in ur power profile or set to high performance

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its not coolnquiet

Huh?

"AMD Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU dynamic frequency scaling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle." -Wikipedia

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

2 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Huh?

"AMD Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU dynamic frequency scaling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle." -Wikipedia

yeah but its the windows power options one :) lol

windows still downclocks ur chip if it is idle and u dont have it enabled :v

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah but its the windows power options one :) lol

I've tried to use the Windows power options settings to increase battery life on my laptop, but they never seem to work. Would that just be because the CPU is older? (2010 Intel Atom (Never use this, it's a horrible CPU.))

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

2 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I've tried to use the Windows power options settings to increase battery life on my laptop, but they never seem to work. Would that just be because the CPU is older? (2010 Intel Atom (Never use this, it's a horrible CPU.))

it doesnt really work because the gain from the windows power options is minimum

the most battery life is gained from reducing ur screen brightness from 100% to 50%

as humans we have a curve for seeing light but the actual electricity output is a way different curve

if u put the screen from 50% to 1% it would be like extreme dark for our eyes yet only uses 3% less electricity than 50%, but 100% will use like 30% more electricity :) just an example hehe

short said

for power saving....   > reduce screen brightness to 50%  /  disable keyboard light ect it saves u alot of battery life :)   windows power options wont do much for a flaptop unless its idle 24/7 :)

(◑‿◐)

1 hour ago, emosun said:

try a bios reset , and check if your bios version supports the cpu or if there was an update to fix the issue

if you let the machine boot when it says 1ghz , does it then show as 1ghz within windows?

yes

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its not coolnquiet

its actually in windows power options :) by default its set to between 5% and 100% clock speed (5% as minimum)

set either the minimum clock speed in windows to 100% in ur power profile or set to high performance

My power profile is set to 100%

3 minutes ago, puppydog said:

My power profile is set to 100%

k in that case its QNC, strange tho because usually its just the windows xD, it shouldnt downclock unless windows has it enabled aswell :S strange

(◑‿◐)

On 22/10/2017 at 12:37 PM, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

k in that case its QNC, strange tho because usually its just the windows xD, it shouldnt downclock unless windows has it enabled aswell :S strange

My qnc is disabled and it still starts at 1ghz

24 minutes ago, puppydog said:

My qnc is off and it still starts at 1ghz

u probably need a microcode update for ur bios in that case

(◑‿◐)

On 23/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

u probably need a microcode update for ur bios in that case

What's a microcode update

9 hours ago, puppydog said:

What's a microcode update

bios update to support new cpu,s +- ( atleast thats wht i mean ) it has more meanings tho xD

(◑‿◐)