Highest safe max 7900x core temp

Hello there, currently testing the maximum stable overclock im able to reach with my 7900x, but i realized the "max cpu core temperature" is factory set to 60c in the bios. I dont want to throttle when doing my test obviously so i was wondering if 85c as a max made sense?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

85 makes sense, try to keep under 80 though.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

85 makes sense, try to keep under 80 though.

My bad, meant 85 for cores not core, core should stay below 75 i believe?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Doesn't make sense for the BIOS to "factory" set max core temperature to 60C when Intel spec is 95C for 7900x

Would you please post a RealTemp or CoreTemp screenshot.

AWOL

42 minutes ago, X_X said:

Doesn't make sense for the BIOS to "factory" set max core temperature to 60C when Intel spec is 95C for 7900x

Would you please post a RealTemp or CoreTemp screenshot.

Having a weird issue now, cpu core speed is at 1200mhz for some reason

20171021_001142.jpg

Seems like it was intel speedstep in the way, disabled it.

Okay, you see where it says Tj. Max is 70C, well it should be 95C. This value is used by software to calculate temperature by taking the DTS reading from each core and subtracting it from Tjmax. DTS readings stay the same. This means your temps are displayed 25C less than they should be meaning your idle temp is actually 50C and maximum in that screenshot is 76C. If one wants to thermal throttle at less than Tjmax (which is 95C whether you change it in the BIOS or not) then there is a TCC offset that can be used.

https://ark.intel.com/products/123613/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-X-series-Processor-13_75M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

AWOL

Try to keep as cool as possible.

Higher temp = higher powerdraw

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Yes, the Thermal Junction or TJmax is 95C for the 7900X so anything bellow 95C is safe on that CPU. Once it reaches 95C it will start to thermal throttle the CPU down and down till it finds a speed where temps start to drop bellow TJmax.

6 hours ago, Carbongrip said:

Yes, the Thermal Junction or TJmax is 95C for the 7900X so anything bellow 95C is safe on that CPU. Once it reaches 95C it will start to thermal throttle the CPU down and down till it finds a speed where temps start to drop bellow TJmax.

8 hours ago, X_X said:

Okay, you see where it says Tj. Max is 70C, well it should be 95C. This value is used by software to calculate temperature by taking the DTS reading from each core and subtracting it from Tjmax. DTS readings stay the same. This means your temps are displayed 25C less than they should be meaning your idle temp is actually 50C and maximum in that screenshot is 76C. If one wants to thermal throttle at less than Tjmax (which is 95C whether you change it in the BIOS or not) then there is a TCC offset that can be used.

https://ark.intel.com/products/123613/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-X-series-Processor-13_75M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

Why was it at 60c by default though

Try this for a quick check.

Set 60C in the BIOS as recommended and boot into the OS. Open CoreTemp and leave the OS idle for one or two minutes and take note of reported temperatures.

Go back into BIOS and this time set 95C and do the same. Since load should be the more or less same in both cases then temps should be similar.

Could also run a quick bench such as CBR15 to check max temps instead of idle temps. Scores and load should be much the same in both tests.

AWOL

@TheRedViper

I'm using the same board as you.  Make sure that you're increasing the CPU temp and power limits in BIOS before you start pushing your clocks.  I suspect that's why your seeing a lower TJMax withing Core Temp.

Additionally, if you do not increase your power limits, disable SVID and run VCCIN at ~1.85v or higher, you will definitely "phantom throttle" without even knowing it.  Your hardware monitoring software will show the same clock speed even though your CPU isn't actually running at the reported speed.  This in turn impacts performance and returns low benchmark score despite having what you believe to be high clock speeds.

Is your chip delidded?

Untitled.png.c421665e4847cf15745cfd06900d3e35.png

To change CPU power and temp limits, go into Exteral Digi+ Power Control within the Extreme Tweaker tab.

171021221244.jpg.bac68f7e1e736253959b74c486db3b5d.jpg

Set CPU Current Capability to 140% to 200%.  200% being the better option if your cooling is good. 

171021221252.jpg.8b8eabcfcd06a0d6438abc485b5d6a9a.jpg

Set CPU Power Thermal Control between 136 and 141.

171021221304.jpg.1f7dc33feff46e240a21d2e1bba9ab63.jpg

Disable SVID to prevent throttling.

171021221318.jpg.c20726ef9e8534e9e229f2be2aaae9a5.jpg

Set CPU Input Voltage (VCCIN) to 1.85v or higher, but try to stay below 2v.

171021221339.jpg.1be201d2a87c71c2edcce5b05822b83a.jpg

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

@TheRedViper

I'm using the same board as you.  Make sure that you're increasing the CPU temp and power limits in BIOS before you start pushing your clocks.  I suspect that's why your seeing a lower TJMax withing Core Temp.

Additionally, if you do not increase your power limits, disable SVID and run VCCIN at ~1.85v or higher, you will definitely "phantom throttle" without even knowing it.  Your hardware monitoring software will show the same clock speed even though your CPU isn't actually running at the reported speed.  This in turn impacts performance and returns low benchmark score despite having what you believe to be high clock speeds.

Is your chip delidded?

Untitled.png.c421665e4847cf15745cfd06900d3e35.png

Yes it is delidded and binned. Its one of yours actually, first batch, 7900x 4.7GHZ 1.225V. You put your TJmax over intel rated 95C? Doesnt it throttles automatically at 95C as per manual or does this command overrides it?

9 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

Yes it is delidded and binned. Its one of yours actually, first batch, 7900x 4.7GHZ 1.225V. 

I do my own binning for myself and friends, but I'm not Silicon Lottery.  :D

9 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

You put your TJmax over intel rated 95C? Doesnt it throttles automatically at 95C as per manual or does this command overrides it?

No, I run my CPU limit at default.  The settings I mentioned previously just keep your from throttling in general.  It's happening to a lot of people that don't even realize it.  As far as whether or not it automatically throttles at 95c, that can be changed via the motherboard.  As shown previously, default on the Asus Rampage VI Apex is 105c.  Truthfully, you shouldn't be anywhere near this.

Pictured below shows where you change your default CPU temp limit.  I have it set to 65c just to demonstrate to you how it changes the reported TJMax within Core Temp.

171022104501.jpg.b6f7d496f5848cbc416046b74ba0d0cd.jpg

Core Temp with Maximum CPU Core Temperature set to 65c.

59ecb3ae32b3f_65cTJMax.jpg.13cb289d462ae4ae555a865577131f91.jpg

Core Temp with Maximum CPU Core Temperature set to auto.

Untitled.png.0664c7dfccf1482938ea3298969703e8.png

Good luck bud.  Hit me or @TahoeDust up if we can help you with anything x299 related.  We spend a lot of time tinkering with x299.  

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

I do my own binning for myself and friends, but I'm not Silicon Lottery.  :D

No, I run my CPU limit at default.  The settings I mentioned previously just keep your from throttling in general.  It's happening to a lot of people that don't even realize it.  As far as whether or not it automatically throttles at 95c, that can be changed via the motherboard.  As shown previously, default on the Asus Rampage VI Apex is 105c.  Truthfully, you shouldn't be anywhere near this.

Pictured below shows where you change your default CPU temp limit.  I have it set to 65c just to demonstrate to you how it changes the reported TJMax within Core Temp.

171022104501.jpg.b6f7d496f5848cbc416046b74ba0d0cd.jpg

59ecb3ae32b3f_65cTJMax.jpg.13cb289d462ae4ae555a865577131f91.jpg

Untitled.png.0664c7dfccf1482938ea3298969703e8.png

Good luck bud.  Hit me or @TahoeDust up if we can help you with anything x299 related.  We spend a lot of time tinkering with x299.  

I always thought you were SiliconLottery for some reason. Anyways, il set it back to auto when i get home from work just to test it out then il apply your settings.

SiliconLottery says that not touching anything except for xmp, sync all xores to 4.7 and vcore to 1.225v should give me a stable 4.7ghz. That was tested with an aio 360mm i believe so i have some headroom. (Ek 360xe with ek240xe, aquacomputer cuplex kryos next with vision, aquacomputer d5 and ice dragon coolant).

1 hour ago, TheRedViper said:

I always thought you were SiliconLottery for some reason. Anyways, il set it back to auto when i get home from work just to test it out then il apply your settings.

SiliconLottery says that not touching anything except for xmp, sync all xores to 4.7 and vcore to 1.225v should give me a stable 4.7ghz. That was tested with an aio 360mm i believe so i have some headroom. (Ek 360xe with ek240xe, aquacomputer cuplex kryos next with vision, aquacomputer d5 and ice dragon coolant).

Yeah, the problem with only enabling XMP, dialing in voltage to 1.225v and syncing all cores to 4.7 is that you're going to power throttle under heavy loads.  You're essentially cheating yourself out of performance when running heavy loads that push the CPU past default limits.  

Some people actually rely on "phantom throttling" as it makes you believe that they are running at a higher clock than they actually are under actual load.  xD

Your cooling setup is plenty robust enough to do it the right way.  Take advantage of that.  

Also, don't forget to tweak your memory.  Skylake-X memory latency is pretty high when not tweaked correctly and their is A LOT to gain in memory and cache tweaking alone.  

Have fun man and good luck.

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, the problem with only enabling XMP, dialing in voltage to 1.225v and syncing all cores to 4.7 is that you're going to power throttle under heavy loads.  You're essentially cheating yourself out of performance when running heavy loads that push the CPU past default limits.  

Some people actually rely on "phantom throttling" as it makes you believe that they are running at a higher clock than they actually are under actual load.  xD

Your cooling setup is plenty robust enough to do it the right way.  Take advantage of that.  

Also, don't forget to tweak your memory.  Skylake-X memory latency is pretty high when not tweaked correctly and their is A LOT to gain in memory and cache tweaking alone.  

Have fun man and good luck.

Seems like the issue was with my core temp program. It was showing 60c as tjmax as well as 60-65c for idle cores temps. Reinstalled and now its showing 105c on auto while idle is 22c

Waiting for my hof ddr4 ram before doing any serious memory oc, il call you back when i get them ?

13 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks for doing that. Would you mind also showing MSR 0x1A2 (can be found in CPUZ txt dump) with Tjmax set to something.

Cheers

AWOL

6 hours ago, X_X said:

Thanks for doing that. Would you mind also showing MSR 0x1A2 (can be found in CPUZ txt dump) with Tjmax set to something.

Cheers

Will do tonight

13 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Also, don't forget to tweak your memory. 

SiliconLottery said they tested at avx -3 and avx512 -5 so thats what I put, i dont know if theres a better setup.

Also, for the memory, would it be better to overclock the speed or reduce cas? 

7 hours ago, X_X said:

Cheers

I wouldn't mind at all except for the fact that there is no MSR 0x1A2 listed in the CPUz txt dump.  Let me know if you'd like to see anything else. 

SiliconLottery said they tested at avx -3 and avx512 -5 so thats what I put, i dont know if theres a better setup.

I don't personally use AVX offset.   I run my clocks at their set multipliers without reductions for AVX workloads.  There are a fair amount of applications that take advantage of AVX/AVX2, but very few can use AVX-512 yet.  The new 3DMark Time Spy Extreme is supposed to use both AVX2 and AVX-512.  While the CPU test is harder to pass than any previous 3DMark CPU test, if it is using AVX-512, it's not doing so very efficiently as the temps aren't nearly as bad as I expected.  Nice boost in performance though.

Outside of benchmarking, I use Adobe Premiere, Handbrake and a few other applications that can use AVX.  Temps are more than fine for those remaining in the 60's or lower.

RealBench stress test also uses AVX during the Handbrake and Blender render portions of the test.  Again, I'm able to stay in the 60's with that while running AVX at full clocks.

Cooling solution used was the custom loop in signature.  

11.thumb.jpg.c9deaccb937e8c90becf23bea05a497e.jpg

Also, for the memory, would it be better to overclock the speed or reduce cas? 

Both. 

If you are using a Samsung B-die kit, it is highly probable that you'll end up with a 4000 MHz or higher clock speed on your memory OC.

Memory latency trumps all, but you can expect around 110+ GB/s read, 110+ GB/s write, and 96+ GB/s copy with latency in the 47ns to 49ns range when all your tweaking is done to both clock speed, primary and secondary timings. 

Use the AIDA64 Cache and Memory Benchmark to help you dial in the best configurations.  Once it's all said and done, test for stability.  Nothing wreaks havoc on an OS and file corruption like unstable memory. 

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

I wouldn't mind at all except for the fact that there is no MSR 0x1A2 listed in the CPUz txt dump.  Let me know if you'd like to see anything else.

I did try googling for 79??x cpuz dumps but cannot find any, closest I got was to see it on an apple dump on tonymac86 so thanks for trying. From these results I got it wrong about the temperature being reported incorrectly. Sorry about that guys, that's what can happen when not owning the actual hardware. I will stand in a corner and keep quiet :)

AWOL

14 hours ago, done12many2 said:

RealBench stress test also uses AVX during the Handbrake and Blender render portions of the test.  Again, I'm able to stay in the 60's with that while running AVX at full clocks.

Cooling solution used was the custom loop in signature.  

11.thumb.jpg.c9deaccb937e8c90becf23bea05a497e.jpg

Both. 

If you are using a Samsung B-die kit, it is highly probable that you'll end up with a 4000 MHz or higher clock speed on your memory OC.

Memory latency trumps all, but you can expect around 110+ GB/s read, 110+ GB/s write, and 96+ GB/s copy with latency in the 47ns to 49ns range when all your tweaking is done to both clock speed, primary and secondary timings. 

Use the AIDA64 Cache and Memory Benchmark to help you dial in the best configurations.  Once it's all said and done, test for stability.  Nothing wreaks havoc on an OS and file corruption like unstable memory. 

The thing is you have 5xek 360 when i have 360+240 ^^. I dont think I can run 5ghz without avx offsets. 

I set your settings in my bios and everything is fine except for the CPU current capability. Mine stops at 140%. I don't know if the mid range memory is causing this, but I'm not decided yet on which high end memory to get. I was going for HoF ddr4 but its dual channel memory when x299 runs on quad.

• 6 months later...

Hello All, 

I am trying to overclock ( or at least stabilize ! ) three rigs I have built for my clients - I could use the help and it sounds like you all are pushing settings for the 7900's here  - 

We're doing architectural work and need to boost up 3DSMAX without frying everything up !! We've had a couple shutdowns already. We are running WIN10 and have gotten the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR"  BSOD 

I'll be uploading machines hardware specs & info shortly - 

Thanks in advance for your help !!