Trying to decide between which Ryzen processor is right for me...

notMateo

So my builds current motherboard finally kicked the bucket so I'm going to use this chance to save up a bit of money and start a Ryzen build! Problem is, I'm not 100% sure what I want to get at this point. 

At first I was going to get a 7-1700, but the 5-1600X is also looking pretty attractive to, especially for that price. But I can afford the 1700 and it'll help me with some of the projects I've started picking up; namely After Effects and Premiere Pro. I've started a video podcast with friends, and I'm going to need the horsepower to chug these videos out. I know the 1600X can overclock to near-1700 performance, but I really really don't want to do that, honestly.

I'm also not particularly sure if the MSI Tomahawk is the best "bang for yer buck" B350 board. 

Does anyone have any anecdotal or just general suggestions for me? I have to buy a mobo, RAM, and a CPU, and my maximum budget is $600 US.

(edit: w00t! first post btw! been watching LTT since August of the year before they moved to the warehouse. don't know why i'm just now joining the forums...)

Just now, MR1PRO said:

intel I7 lmao

I'm sticking with Ryzen, that's in stone.

Just now, notMateo said:

I'm sticking with Ryzen, that's in stone.

i don't no much about amd sry

2 minutes ago, notMateo said:

So my builds current motherboard finally kicked the bucket so I'm going to use this chance to save up a bit of money and start a Ryzen build! Problem is, I'm not 100% sure what I want to get at this point. 

At first I was going to get a 7-1700, but the 5-1600X is also looking pretty attractive to, especially for that price. But I can afford the 1700 and it'll help me with some of the projects I've started picking up; namely After Effects and Premiere Pro. I've started a video podcast with friends, and I'm going to need the horsepower to chug these videos out. I know the 1600X can overclock to near-1700 performance, but I really really don't want to do that, honestly.

I'm also not particularly sure if the MSI Tomahawk is the best "bang for yer buck" B350 board. 

Does anyone have any anecdotal or just general suggestions for me? I have to buy a mobo, RAM, and a CPU, and my maximum budget is $600 US.

(edit: w00t! first post btw! been watching LTT since August of the year before they moved to the warehouse. don't know why i'm just now joining the forums...)

The consensus seems to be that MSI has done a poor job with the VRM on its AM4 motherboards. Both ASRock and ASUS seem to be better boards if there is any chance you are going to do overclocking. 

Just now, AncientNerd said:

The consensus seems to be that MSI has done a poor job with the VRM on its AM4 motherboards. Both ASRock and ASUS seem to be better boards if there is any chance you are going to do overclocking. 

I don't plan on doing any amount of OC'ing, but having a board that lasts a while is pretty important to me, so I guess that VRM issue could be something I'd wanna avoid?

Content creation, rendering and encoding and all that stuff as well as games?  Then 1700 is your friend, I dunno why ppl still say Intel like AMD is still using bulldog architecture, I think they're secretly but hurt they can't rip on ppl as much as they used to xD

The 1600 is for like games mainly, sure you can do the rest on it but you'll want those extra cores for media creation.

Me personally unless you're not looking to get your hand dirty with some overclocking dont buy the X CPUs just get the no x as they all OC about the same and the differences are marginal, i learned that the hard way.  And i never got a wraith cooler with my 1600X :(  (I was only gonna sell it on as i use a AIO cooler) :P 

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

The r7 1700 is the best bang for the buck. I have it and it's just dandy for 60fps gaming, most of them easily oc to 3.7GHz and when streaming games you will most of the time not even have a change in framerate.

3 minutes ago, notMateo said:

I don't plan on doing any amount of OC'ing, but having a board that lasts a while is pretty important to me, so I guess that VRM issue could be something I'd wanna avoid?

Yes, basically weak VRM is going to overheat and heat is the enemy of electronics. So even w/o overclocking a bad VRM is going to run hotter, which while it is okay for the actual VRM components since they are okay with high temperatures, the rest of your system is going to have to handle the heat load. 

Yes, basically weak VRM is going to overheat and heat is the enemy of electronics. So even w/o overclocking a bad VRM is going to run hotter, which while it is okay for the actual VRM components since they are okay with high temperatures, the rest of your system is going to have to handle the heat load. 

Lol yeah I'd rather milk this next build for as many years as I can. Asrock's AB350 Pro4 is looking pretty attractive to me right now- also none of that edgy gamer design stuff on it, which makes it even better.

6 minutes ago, SpecialEllio said:

The r7 1700 is the best bang for the buck. I have it and it's just dandy for 60fps gaming, most of them easily oc to 3.7GHz and when streaming games you will most of the time not even have a change in framerate.

8 minutes ago, Danny_UK said:

The 1600 is for like games mainly, sure you can do the rest on it but you'll want those extra cores for media creation.

Sounds like a plan then- I'll get the 1700.

10 minutes ago, SpecialEllio said:

most will do 3.9ghz with ease, mines sat at 3.975 @ 1.35v, I can do 4ghz + but that needs around 1.4v and the extra heat in my loop aint worth it

18 minutes ago, MR1PRO said:

intel I7 lmao

Ok - why? Especially as OP is video editing and the 8700k costs about +%40 on the Ryzen 1700, nevermind the 1600

19 minutes ago, notMateo said:

Ok with Ryzen you're gonna need to overclock to get the best out of it, if not I would probably grab an X as they have higher "boosts" out of the box with XFR. If gaming make sure you get fast DDR4, have a look at my Ryzen ram guide for advice (in my signature)

B350 is still an overclocking board, so don't opt for it just cause you think you won't overclock. What a B350 cant do, which an X370 can is SLI (it can crossfire) so if you have Nvidia GPU you will at least still have SLI option in the future without needing to swap the board

Budget friendly 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $426.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 13:11 EDT-0400

What I would buy on your budget

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($141.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $581.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 13:14 EDT-0400

Intel comparison (for budget reasons)

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $690.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 13:15 EDT-0400

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

27 minutes ago, notMateo said:

Here is CPU Mobo ram:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dwYxkT

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

42 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

its simple, you get the best CPU or GPU you can afford at the time

cough cough diminishing returns cough cough

So this is what I think I'm gonna settle on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.33 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($172.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $537.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 13:35 EDT-0400

Gonna definitely get a 1700 because there aren't many compelling reasons to downgrade to a 1600x aside from cost, which I'm able to stomach
I really like Asrocks' Pro4 because it doesn't have all that "gamur aaaaesthetic" that makes me sick. Also I won't be overclocking, or going SLI. One stock CPU and one stock GPU is fine for me.

And I'm getting specifically Corsair's LPX @3200mhz because I actually am hard set on supporting Corsair here, but I'm gonna get a much higher clock speed than I was previously. I'm getting a 2x8GB kit because I'm actually gonna buy another set in the future for 32GB- something I never thought I'd need, but....here I am *sigh*

And all this gives me 70 less dollars to worry about for budgeting which makes my life a lot easier

Thanks guys! I can't BELIEVE how super helpful and informative this post has been! I'm super grateful to everyone who replied

well it was kinda easy to guess which cpu people would have said to get and "cough cough diminishing returns cough cough " yiu get with any cou no matter what one it is

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

You want to avoid B350s and bad X370s when going to OC R7 

Pick one of these boards:

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Asus Strix X370-F (best bang for you buck)

Crosshair 6 Hero

Crosshair 6 Extreme

Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5

Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7

ASRock X370 Taichi

ASRock X370 Profi Gaming

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

54 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($141.98 @ Newegg)

Good joke

30 minutes ago, notMateo said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.33 @ OutletPC) 

Wont last long, will overheat => try to avoid

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Good joke

helpful post ..... 

Yes they aren't the best, but I had to put a monoblock on my Gaming 5 cause they got HAF, I mean burn finger when touching hot

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

helpful post ..... 

Yes they aren't the best, but I had to put a monoblock on my Gaming 5 cause they got HAF, I mean burn finger when touching hot

Gaming K5 is 10 times worse than Gaming 5.

Now imagine what did you recommend xD 

K5 uses VRM that is considered garbage even on B350. . . 

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Gaming K5 is 10 times worse than Gaming 5.

Now imagine what did you recommend xD 

K5 uses VRM that is considered garbage even on B350. . . 

well if that's the case they will die within a year and OP can have a refund and get a newer board xD

Ryzen Ram Guide